You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

US F-15 Down In North Sea

Your online Air Force Base.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 15 Jun 20, 10:47Post
A US Air Force pilot is missing after a fighter jet crashed into the North Sea.

The F-15C Eagle, from the 48th Fighter Wing at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk, crashed shortly after 0940 BST while on a training mission.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-53051055
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 15 Jun 20, 10:59Post
Best of luck to the pilot. What's the weather like in the North Sea this time of year? Does the water warm up at all? How about oil rigs? Any in the area?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 15 Jun 20, 16:00Post
Update: They've found wreckage, but still no sign of the pilot.

Looks to have been a pretty horrible day out there.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Jun 20, 21:02Post
They found the pilot, sadly they didn't make it. They haven't been named as yet.

DXing wrote:What's the weather like in the North Sea this time of year? Does the water warm up at all?

Waves at the time were 0.5 to 2.5 metres with moderate winds, dense fog and about 9C sea temps in the area the F-15 went down. Even if they went in uninjured, that's survivable for 3 hours at the absolute most. Though there are some rigs nearby and there usually would be some fishing and possibly ferry traffic, that's a huge expanse of water to find a person in.
A million great ideas...
DXing 15 Jun 20, 22:51Post
Thanks, considering this was an Air Force plane and pilot I'll assume there wasn't any life raft attached. Given the water temperature the pilots chances of recovery were substantially diminished. Hopefully he or she didn't suffer long.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 Jun 20, 15:07Post
Lt Kenneth Allen was the assistant chief of weapons and tactics for the 493rd Fighter Squadron and had been deployed in the UK since February 2020, the 48th Fighter Wing said.

Link
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen