You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

Potential New "Air Force One" Livery Revealed

Your online Air Force Base.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Jun 19, 00:32Post
REMINDER: As this is not a politics forum, please remember to check your hatred or admiration of the President Of The United States at the door.

During an Interview with ABCNews, President Trump showed his ideas for what the next "Air Force One" could look like. The artist's rendering has four examples, though looking at the photo in the linked article, example A looks indistinguishable from C and the same for B and D.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com ... yppDJik3H4

I don't really think the current livery needs changing as I like my government equipment to look kinda bland anyway. That said, I don't think the any of the proposed ideas look all that terrible.

I suspect that politics being what they are, both in general and the current climate, there won't be any change to the current livery to whatever the 747-8s are designated.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 14 Jun 19, 07:02Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I don't think it's broke. I can't see any difference in these designs beyond the colour of the engines, either.

USAirways is about right, minus the good bits. I've also seen comparisons to the old Trump Shuttle livery, which I think is really stretching things just to take a pop at the current President.

Either way, I find the designs deeply uninspiring. For a head-of-state aircraft, I agree that that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm sure they could do better.

Maybe it's the 747-8's shape, but the whole thing looks a little off, as if it's a very early draft and needs a good going-over by someone who understands proportion, etc. In particular, the placement of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA text just feels wrong, too far back, though it looks as if the upper deck exit is the cause of that.

To be honest, though, I expected far worse; seems there were some adults in the room, which is more than can be said for AA's new look. Some flair, while avoiding that crassness, is entirely possible. Hey, Azerbaijan can do it:

My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jun 19, 09:39Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I don't think it's broke.

Simple as this. ^^^^^

Current livery is iconic, and recognized likely world wide.

Leave it alone.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Jun 19, 14:43Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:USAirways is about right, minus the good bits. I've also seen comparisons to the old Trump Shuttle livery...

I think the final TWA livery is a lot closer
vikkyvik 14 Jun 19, 15:49Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I think the final TWA livery is a lot closer

That was my first thought when I saw it. Slight pang of nostalgia.

I wouldn't mind if they kept the current livery, but made the blue a bit darker. Never been a huge fan of that baby blue color.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jun 19, 17:56Post
I don't really like the current AF 1 colors. This is worse.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 14 Jun 19, 20:48Post
Lucas wrote:I don't really like the current AF 1 colors.

Nor do I, the pale blue is... Where did they get that? It doesn't match our flag nor any other national display of colors.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jun 19, 22:08Post
Queso wrote:
Lucas wrote:I don't really like the current AF 1 colors.

Nor do I, the pale blue is... Where did they get that? It doesn't match our flag nor any other national display of colors.

But it matches the rest of the Air Force Executive Fleet.

I neither like nor dislike the Trump change, I simply think it's unnecessary - like Shanwich said, "if it ain't broke", and it isn't.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Jun 19, 22:10Post
Queso wrote:Where did they get that?

Kennedy, on advice from his wife, enlisted Raymond Loewy to redesign the exterior and interior. Regarding the livery, "he chose to expose the polished aluminum fuselage on the bottom side and used two blues – slate-blue associated with the early republic and the presidency and a more contemporary cyan to represent the present and future."

Hardesty, Von. Air Force One: The Aircraft that Shaped the Modern Presidency. Chanhassen, Minnesota: Northword Press, 2003. ISBN 1-55971-894-3.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 16 Jun 19, 13:26Post
ANCFlyer wrote:
ShanwickOceanic wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I don't think it's broke.

Simple as this. ^^^^^

Leave it alone.

This. x1000
At home in the PNW and loving it
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Jun 19, 14:09Post
I remember when Independence Air wanted to go with some trendy livery and I didn't like the result. If they're set on changing it, use something like the ANA scheme and replace the letters with "USA", and change the stripe color to blue or red with a border of the other color. Something akin to the old USA 3000 could work, too. {twocents}

Otherwise...

ANCFlyer wrote:

Simple as this. ^^^^^

Leave it alone.

{check}
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 Jun 19, 15:19Post
Leave well enough alone.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 16 Jun 19, 16:56Post
ANCFlyer wrote:But it matches the rest of the Air Force Executive Fleet.

One would hope that a change in livery would be for all the executive fleet, which is quite a few aircraft.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 17 Jun 19, 19:25Post
The belly of the -8 is still metal, yes?
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 18 Jun 19, 20:35Post
ShyFlyer wrote:

Kennedy, on advice from his wife, enlisted Raymond Loewy to redesign the exterior and interior. Regarding the livery, "he chose to expose the polished aluminum fuselage on the bottom side and used two blues – slate-blue associated with the early republic and the presidency and a more contemporary cyan to represent the present and future."

Hardesty, Von. Air Force One: The Aircraft that Shaped the Modern Presidency. Chanhassen, Minnesota: Northword Press, 2003. ISBN 1-55971-894-3.

Thank you!

That sucks.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
Boris (Founding Member) 20 Jun 19, 22:23Post
Today Trump has a 748 model with the new paint job.

I honestly could care less if they change it or not, but I'd LOVE to have that model sitting in my office... 8)
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers...
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 20 Jun 19, 23:03Post
It does look better than the drawings. I still don't see it actually appearing on an actual aircraft, though.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Jun 19, 02:30Post
Queso wrote:
ShyFlyer wrote:

Thank you!

That sucks.

This. Cornflower blue.
Florida Metal 24 Jun 19, 16:13Post
As the original post said, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

There were some decent looking options that were acceptable, one that kept the original colors even but modernized him. However the worst one was picked and it looks terrible.
paul mcallister 12 Jul 19, 23:13Post
ANCFlyer wrote:

Simple as this. ^^^^^

Leave it alone.

Nothing wrong with what they already have, it`s all been said above.