You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

Russian Tu-154 Crashes Near Sochi

Your online Air Force Base.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 25 Dec 16, 07:22Post
A Russian military plane with 92 people on board has crashed into the Black Sea, Russia's defence ministry says.
The plane disappeared from radar 20 minutes after taking off from the resort of Sochi at 05:20 (02:20 GMT). Fragments have now been found.
The defence ministry said the Tu-154 was carrying service personnel, members of the famed Alexandrov military band, and reporters.
The plane was flying to the Syrian province of Latakia.
The flight originated in Moscow and had landed at Adler airport in Sochi for refuelling.
The defence ministry said in a statement: "Fragments of the Tu-154 plane of the Russian defence ministry were found 1.5km (one mile) from the Black Sea coast of the city of Sochi at a depth of 50 to 70 metres."
So far no survivors have been found, local rescuers told the Interfax news agency.
Most of the passengers were Alexandrov Ensemble members, reports said, along with nine journalists and eight crew members.
Reports in the area said flying conditions were favourable. An investigation has been launched to determine whether any violations of air transport safety regulations had taken place.
Ministry spokesperson Igor Konashenkov said the plane was carrying passengers to a New Year's performance for Russian troops deployed in Syria.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38430164
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 25 Dec 16, 08:52Post
Not how you expect to go out, on a trip to a war zone. :(
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
bhmbaglock 27 Dec 16, 13:53Post
Need to edit this, they've corrected the story to say that it disappeared from radar two minutes after take off which makes a lot more sense with the reported location of the debris.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Dec 16, 14:06Post
Aircraft was RA-85572, a Tu-154B-2 operated by the Russian AF under the Rossiya umbrella: https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20161225-0

I didn't know there were any non-M 154s still flying.
A million great ideas...