You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

China Debuts J-20 Fighter

Your online Air Force Base.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 01 Nov 16, 09:42Post
China has showcased its long-awaited J-20 stealth fighter in public for the first time.

Two of the radar-evading jets did a 60-second flypast at the Zhuhai air show in Guangdong province - the country's biggest meeting of plane makers and buyers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37831714

Also at the show, the Y-20 transport and the AG-600 seaplane.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 01 Nov 16, 09:54Post
The Y-20 looks like a C-17 that ran out of money and the put an IL-76 wing on.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
paul mcallister 03 Nov 16, 22:17Post
I think the proportions look wrong,it`s like something from a Gerry Anderson TV show,nearly but not quite right.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 04 Nov 16, 00:29Post
miamiair wrote:The Y-20 looks like a C-17 that ran out of money and the put an IL-76 wing on.

According to Wiki it utilises the latest in composite technology and even features some major structural parts that are 3D printed. Seems a bit odd then that the engines are those from the Il-76 or more accurately the engines used on non 'M' Tu-154s from the late 70s, acquired cheaply because they lacked the requisite oomph for many of the Candid's missions {facepalm}

paul mcallister wrote:I think the proportions look wrong,it`s like something from a Gerry Anderson TV show,nearly but not quite right.

Agreed. I'm no aerodynamic expert but that thing seems to fly like a wounded duck and the fact that the camera always cuts away at the critical point of each maneuver seems to back this up.

Still, at least they fly unlike NoKo's plywood stealth fighter...
A million great ideas...
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 04 Nov 16, 03:30Post
I think the Chinese have been watching too much anime:

Core Booster II from the TV show Gundam 08th MST:

J-20
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 04 Nov 16, 13:15Post
It looks like a cheap hack job of the F-22 mixed with Clicky's anime fighter.

I bet a wet behind the ears n00b fresh from COS in an early F-15C could still take it.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 04 Nov 16, 13:35Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:I think the Chinese have been watching too much anime:
Or the anime artists are former military aircraft designers... :))

GQfluffy wrote:I bet a wet behind the ears n00b fresh from COS in an early F-15C could still take it.
If the Chinese borrow him the fuel money... {duck}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.