You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

USAF’s Bomber Decision Came Down To Cost

Your online Air Force Base.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 26 Oct 16, 11:19Post
The U.S. Air Force’s decision to award the design and development of its next-generation stealth bomber to Northrop Grumman over a competing team led by Boeing and Lockheed Martin came down to the significantly lower price tag of Northrop’s bid, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO).

Northrop’s proposed cost for the new bomber’s engineering, manufacturing and development (EMD) phase was “substantially lower” than Boeing’s due to “Northrop’s corporate investment decisions,” according to the GAO’s heavily redacted ruling on Boeing and Lockheed Martin’s protest of the 2015 contract award. Northrop’s lower EMD costs were driven by the decision to absorb significant company investment, as well as lower labor rates and labor escalation rates compared to Boeing’s, GAO wrote. The exact values of the bids were redacted.

http://aviationweek.com/defense/usaf-s-bomber-decision-came-down-cost?Issue=AW-05_20161026_AW-05_149&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_1&utm_rid=CPEN1000000422550&utm_campaign=7452&utm_medium=email&elq2=1e936fa20dfc499caa2babf5ff4eb514Linl
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 26 Oct 16, 13:18Post
Yeah how'd the last two aircraft developed for the USAF work out when they went with cost? {bored}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Fumanchewd 30 Oct 16, 19:12Post
I still have an issue with how much they cut the F22 for costs and I think that they've realized it after the fact. Other 5th generation options will be even more expensive. It just goes to show that knee jerk cost cutting is not always the best option.

As for bombers, with today's long range missile capabilities I am fine with that.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
DXing 01 Nov 16, 09:19Post
Well, Boeing/Lockheed Martin got the F-22, even though Northrop's Black Widow 2 was a far more sexy looking machine. How much R&D to ramp up that airframe to manned bomber size?

On a side note, I'm actually surprised we are even considering developing another manned bomber. I would have thought a drone bomber would have been next in line.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?