You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

USAF Grounds F-35s: "Peeling, Crumbling"

Your online Air Force Base.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Sep 16, 15:41Post
Less than two months after declaring the controversial F-35 Joint Strike Fighter ready for combat, the Air Force on Friday announced that it was temporarily grounding 15 of the jets after it discovered that insulation was “peeling and crumbling” inside the fuel tanks.

Full article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... nsulation/
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Sep 16, 17:14Post
What a reliable beast of an aircraft!
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 17 Sep 16, 17:32Post
One spent about two weeks in a hangar in Ohio recently after metal was found in the oil after an airshow. It had digested it's own oil pump.

That was the backup ship. The show primary caught a bird strike on arrival the day before the show.

F-35 is not having good luck.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 17 Sep 16, 20:45Post
It should be renamed to the Edsel II.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
KFLLCFII 17 Sep 16, 22:59Post
The Air Force said Friday that crews discovered that insulation in avionics cooling lines inside the fuel tanks was deteriorating.

Any other aircraft out there that use a similar arrangement for avionics cooling? Never heard of that before.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Sep 16, 13:32Post
KFLLCFII wrote:
The Air Force said Friday that crews discovered that insulation in avionics cooling lines inside the fuel tanks was deteriorating.

Any other aircraft out there that use a similar arrangement for avionics cooling? Never heard of that before.

No idea but I've seen the patent for the components involved (on a Facebook group that was discussing this story) and they appear to be 29 years old. Presumably they were designed for something earlier than the F-35, maybe the F-117?
A million great ideas...