You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

V22 In Scottsdale

Your online Air Force Base.

Fumanchewd 15 Jul 09, 21:46Post
Not that big of a deal but there isn't alot of Marine hardware that comes in. The Navy loves to park Hornets there, I think because they hate Luke.

Anyway it took off with the rotors tilted at about 45 degrees. No picture. I got a stiffie and it left.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 15 Jul 09, 21:48Post
Yep, we've been getting them through MAF almost regularly. Was it headed east or west?
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
Fumanchewd 15 Jul 09, 21:55Post
It was headed WNW. Looked like it reduced the "wing" angle at about 500 feet but it was still pointed a little up.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 15 Jul 09, 22:18Post
They are always headed west when they leave here.
Fumanchewd 15 Jul 09, 22:29Post
Not sure if its going to Yuma or Cali.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 15 Jul 09, 22:52Post
I wonder if anyone in our group knows where the final assembly of the the V-22's happens, as well as where acceptance by the Marines of each unit happens.
TUSpilot (Founding Member) 15 Jul 09, 22:59Post
The fuselage for the V-22 is built by Boeing Rotorcraft Systems in Philadelphia. Bell builds components for the aircraft in Fort Worth, Texas, and completes final assembly at its Military Aircraft Assembly Center in Amarillo.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bell+Boei ... 0177195571

Found info on assembly locations.
We live in a galaxy far far away and we STILL have to connect in ATL.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 15 Jul 09, 23:36Post
TUSpilot wrote:
The fuselage for the V-22 is built by Boeing Rotorcraft Systems in Philadelphia. Bell builds components for the aircraft in Fort Worth, Texas, and completes final assembly at its Military Aircraft Assembly Center in Amarillo.

Found info on assembly locations.

That's right, now I remember seeing something about the final assembly being in AMA. Thanks a lot, TUSpilot!
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 15 Jul 09, 23:46Post
They used to test them south of Ft. Worth over my grandparent's ranch. I recall seeing a lot of Chinook's as well.
bhmbaglock 16 Jul 09, 00:07Post
Fumanchewd wrote:It was headed WNW. Looked like it reduced the "wing" angle at about 500 feet but it was still pointed a little up.

The wing doesn't change angle relative to the fuselage other than standard change in AOA via flaps, it's the nacelles that pivot.

Fumanchewd wrote:Not sure if its going to Yuma or Cali.

Most likely 29 Palms. Yuma is WSW.

TUSpilot wrote:The fuselage for the V-22 is built by Boeing Rotorcraft Systems in Philadelphia. Bell builds components for the aircraft in Fort Worth, Texas, and completes final assembly at its Military Aircraft Assembly Center in Amarillo.

Empennage is(or at least was) built by Grumman on Long Island. i'm not sure where the blades are built now but the design and prototypes were done in Ridley by Boeing.

I maintained the finite element model for the fuselage at Boeing early in the program so I've got a bit of good info on it here and there. Also a bit of work on the MH-47D.
Fumanchewd 16 Jul 09, 02:01Post
bhmbaglock wrote:Fumanchewd wrote:
Not sure if its going to Yuma or Cali.

Most likely 29 Palms. Yuma is WSW.

You are probably right, but coming out of SDL they could initially turn west to avoid PHX.