You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

Somebody thought this was a good idea?

Your online Air Force Base.

Airfoilsguy (Founding Member) 25 Jun 09, 19:42Post
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jun 09, 20:18Post
Ah yes, quite the video. Notice that they did indeed stop in a short amount of time and distance. Mmm, the sweet smell of success.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 25 Jun 09, 20:31Post
One would think that an air/ground switch might be a good idea there.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Airfoilsguy (Founding Member) 25 Jun 09, 20:36Post
Lucas wrote:Ah yes, quite the video. Notice that they did indeed stop in a short amount of time and distance. Mmm, the sweet smell of success.

As did this one. :)

captoveur 25 Jun 09, 22:04Post
Lucas wrote:Ah yes, quite the video. Notice that they did indeed stop in a short amount of time and distance. Mmm, the sweet smell of success.

Interesting this video comes up when Iran is having difficulties.

I think that C-130 was supposed to be able to land and takeoff inside a soccer stadium. I know it was being developed as part of the Iranian hostage rescue cluster.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 26 Jun 09, 18:12Post
with regard to the thread title, I have a friend in another agency who tells me that he spends a fair amount of time listening to the latest "good idea" that has bubbled up, and very often his response is "you're kidding, right?"

Sadly, they aren't.
At home in the PNW and loving it
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Jun 09, 18:53Post
HA! AFG found a video of an even shorter short field landing. :o

captoveur wrote:

Interesting this video comes up when Iran is having difficulties.

I think that C-130 was supposed to be able to land and takeoff inside a soccer stadium. I know it was being developed as part of the Iranian hostage rescue cluster.

Well, it could certainly stop inside one, don't know about take off again.

Like halls said, sometimes someone needs to say, "You're kidding, right?"
captoveur 27 Jun 09, 07:41Post
I think it had RATO for the taking off part.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
greasespot 02 Jul 09, 00:52Post
I truly think i missed the best age of aviation...the 50's and 60's....Basically all you needed was an idea and there was money to fund it no matter how out there it was....

GS
L-188 12 Jul 09, 20:09Post
That crash really illustrates the failure of both Carters forgien and defense policies.

As mentioned it was an emergency development program to take off the shelf components and make a 130 do jobs that it wasn't designed to do.

Sometimes you have to do that in war, but this hostage rescue was Carter looking for a weakend military covering up his policy favors.
lobster68w (Founding Member) 15 Jul 09, 06:52Post
I wonder what the pilots were thinking on that one? By the looks of it, the cockpit might of gone for a little BBQ on that one.
Down with this sort of thing!