You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

RAF F-35 Crashes In Mediterranean

Your online Air Force Base.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Nov 21, 17:47Post
A British F-35 fighter jet has crashed into the sea during a routine operation in the Mediterranean, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The pilot ejected and has safely returned to the Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth and an investigation has begun, the MoD added.

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59323895
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Nov 21, 22:28Post
And so it begins...

Anyone want to bet it was performing some kind of systems recovery when it went down?
A million great ideas...
paul mcallister 17 Nov 21, 23:25Post
The Chinese would love to have a peek at a used F-35, especially the owners handbook. :)) Good to hear the pilot is okay.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Nov 21, 12:51Post
Martin Baker for the win.

The pilot gets a nice tie and membership to an exclusive club.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
paul mcallister 24 Nov 21, 22:29Post
Some UK media reports suggesting some sort of " red plastic cover " was not removed before flight, and the aircraft came down shortly after take-off.

Which asks the question, why was this item not removed, and why was it not noticed in the pre-flight checks and walk around ?

Somebody goofed bigtime, and apparently the Russians are taking great interest in the matter.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Nov 21, 21:13Post
paul mcallister wrote:Some UK media reports suggesting some sort of " red plastic cover " was not removed before flight, and the aircraft came down shortly after take-off.

It appears to be confirmed that the rain cover used to stop the radar absorbent coating from becoming waterlogged was indeed left in position. Quite how that happened is anyone's guess {facepalm}
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 25 Nov 21, 22:55Post
JLAmber wrote:It appears to be confirmed that the rain cover used to stop the radar absorbent coating from becoming waterlogged was indeed left in position. Quite how that happened is anyone's guess

Well, it's bloody waterlogged now, isn't it?!
DXing 30 Nov 21, 02:29Post
Supposed video of the crash in the story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59470276

Looks like an old fashioned cold cat launch on a standard carrier. Certainly did not reach anything close to flying speed by the start of the ramp. As the story relates, the pilot was extremely lucky as 1. He was able to eject safely, and 2. He wasn't killed by the ship as it appears he floated down almost directly in front of the bow.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
paul mcallister 30 Nov 21, 14:39Post
That`s a brown trouser production if I ever saw one.
A few P45`s will be handed out after that, doesn`t look like it got out of 1st gear. LOL.

Strange how the video is recorded from a monitor, could be fake I suppose, quality isn`t great ie extreme glare which is a bit suspect for a new state of the art ship. It could be a photoshop job, I am not entirely convinced.
DXing 30 Nov 21, 15:36Post
LOL...It's "government" quality video!!

I'm wondering why he didn't drop the throttle and lock the brakes up before the ramp when it was obvious he wasn't getting full power or anything close to it. With the brakes full on and the angle of the ramp you would think there would have been enough to stop the forward momentum. BTW, aren't they supposed to go to full power before releasing the brakes just to make sure it's available?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 30 Nov 21, 18:02Post
paul mcallister wrote:Strange how the video is recorded from a monitor, could be fake I suppose, quality isn`t great ie extreme glare which is a bit suspect for a new state of the art ship.

Probably some idiot didn't have permission to share this officially, and this is as good as they could get. Given that you need to sign the Official Secrets Act even to work in the McDonald's on a naval base, I imagine they'll be lucky to get away with just a P45.
paul mcallister 09 Dec 21, 14:30Post
The BBC are saying the aircraft has been recovered? Located maybe, but I don`t think any sort of recovery has begun as yet.
Anyone else know anything about a recovery operation? Doubtless the Chinese would love a look.

Absolute madness that the aircraft was signed off as fit to operate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-59593047
DXing 09 Dec 21, 17:37Post
Recovery operations concluded.

https://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-that-crashed-off-uk-carrier-has-been-recovered-2021-12

The UK has recovered the F-35 stealth fighter that crashed off an aircraft carrier into the sea

Shanwickoceanic wrote:Probably some idiot didn't have permission to share this officially, and this is as good as they could get. Given that you need to sign the Official Secrets Act even to work in the McDonald's on a naval base, I imagine they'll be lucky to get away with just a P45.

Included in the story....

The UK Defense Journal, citing an unnamed source, reported Tuesday that a service member aboard the carrier has been arrested for the video leak.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 11 Dec 21, 15:11Post
paul mcallister wrote:The BBC are saying the aircraft has been recovered? Located maybe, but I don`t think any sort of recovery has begun as yet.
Anyone else know anything about a recovery operation? Doubtless the Chinese would love a look.

It has been recovered, and not by the Chinese or the Russians. :))
At home in the PNW and loving it
paul mcallister 12 Dec 21, 16:27Post
Yes, I know now it has been recovered, I said the Chinese would love a look, not that they, or the Russians had recovered it.
paul mcallister 01 Feb 22, 02:37Post
The US Navy also had a recent " mishap " with one of their F-35C`s in the South China Sea.

https://news.usni.org/2022/01/31/japan- ... operations
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Feb 22, 21:02Post
paul mcallister wrote:The US Navy also had a recent " mishap " with one of their F-35C`s in the South China Sea.

https://news.usni.org/2022/01/31/japan- ... operations

Without going through some of the early F-35 threads, hopefully I mentioned a conversation with a test pilot who had stated that it was an extremely difficult aircraft to handle, particularly in changeable wind conditions. These issues were entirely expected by some to the point that the F-35 is being called the pod racer in some quarters.

On the plus side, Finland will soon have F-35s so they can fail to intercept Russian bombers that have themselves gone tech before making Finnish airspace in some cold war-style encounters that perfectly epitomise the 2020s {sigh}
A million great ideas...