You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : netAirspace Daily News

NAS Daily 26 DEC 23

The latest aviation news, brought to you by miamiair every weekday.

airtrainer 26 Dec 23, 07:30Post

News

Ukrainian Air Force claims three Russian Su-34 aircraft shot down near Kherson
The Russian Air Force is reported to have lost three Su-34 fighter-bombers in the Kherson region. The announcement…
Link (AeroTime)

Three biggest Chinese airlines to serve London Gatwick this winter
Passengers flying via London Gatwick can now benefit from services operated by the three largest airlines in China.
Link (International Airport Review)

Tapping into niche markets across the globe, with Athens Airport
Athens AirportAt World Aviation Festival we spoke with Ioanna Papadopoulou, Director of Communications and Marketing at Athens Airport.

The most ridiculous and outrageous complaint letters received by airlines
’Twas the day after Christmas, and all through the house, Every creature was hurting — even the mouse.…
Link (AeroTime)

Staying open in extreme winter weather
Dean Ervin, Director of Aerodrome Operations, Safety and Compliance at Edmonton International Airport (YEG), discussed in Issue 3 how to operate Canada’s most northern-based major airport and staying operational during extreme winters.

Norse Atlantic launches new nonstop route between Athens and New York
On December 22, 2023, Norse Atlantic Airways announced that it will be operating nonstop flights between Athens, Greece…
Link (AeroTime)

A burning plane makes emergency landing at Spanish Fork Airport in Utah
Spanish Fork Municipal Airport Woodhouse Field (KSPK) became the backdrop of a dramatic scenario when a burning single-engine…
Link (AeroTime)

Proposed project changes to London Gatwick’s Northern Runway plan
Terminal gatwickSince submitting its Northern Runway plans, London Gatwick has refined its proposal to reduce its environmental impact even further.

New furniture greets Terminal 1 passengers at Oakland International Airport
CREDIT: Francis ZeraOakland International Airport (OAK) is giving its facilities a refresh with newly installed gate furniture for Terminal 1 passengers just in time for the winter holiday travel season.

The ‘hard-core low-cost’ carrier: Pegasus Airlines’ CCO shares growth strategy
It’s proved to be an eventful year for Pegasus Airlines. So far in 2023, the Istanbul-based carrier has…
Link (AeroTime)

Aviation Quote

"Are you ever afraid when you fly?"
"That's a good question. Yeah. I'm always a little afraid when I fly. That's what makes me so damn good. I've seen pilots who weren't afraid of anything, who would forget about checking their instruments, who flew by instinct as though they were immortal. I've pissed on the graves of those poor bastards too. The pilot who isn't a little bit afraid always screws up and when you screw up bad in a jet, you get a corporal playing taps at the expense of the government."

- Lieutenant Colonel Bull Meecham, USMC, in Pat Conroy's book, 'The Great Santini.'

On This Day

Click Here

Daily Video

Editor's Choice

Trivia

C-130 Hercules Trivia

1. In what year was the first C-130 flight?

2. Which version of the C-130 is purpose built for landing on ice?
HC-130
SC-130
LC-130
C-130i

3. Which of the following nations uses the C-130 as an aerial tanker for its fighters?
Philippines
Norway
New Zealand
Spain

4. The standard C-130J has how many propeller blades per engine?

5. A C-130B model has external fuel tanks located where?
Between the engines
At the wing tips
Outboard of the outboard engines
The C-130B has no external fuel tanks

6. Which of the following is a designation of a Royal Canadian Air Force C-130?
CC-130H
RC-130
C-130C
C.3

7. C-130s have been used in many roles, but which of the following is just a concept?
Float plane
Fire bomber
Drone launch and control
Satellite capsule recovery

8. Which is not a common C-130 nickname?
Herky Bird
Spectre
Provider
Trash Hauler

9. Which aircraft has the most similar capabilities to the transport version of a C-130?
B747
C-160 Transall
C-131
An-2

10. The C-130 has flown many famous missions. In which of the following did the C-130 play the central role?
Operation El Dorado Canyon
Operation Beer Run
Operation Arc Light
Entebbe hostage rescue
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air