You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : netAirspace Daily News

NAS Daily 25 SEP 23

The latest aviation news, brought to you by miamiair every weekday.

airtrainer 25 Sep 23, 10:26Post

News

Qantas warns elevated fuel costs may impact passengers’ ticket prices
In its latest market update, Qantas has warned that elevated fuel costs may impact on the prices passengers…
Link (AeroTime)

KLM averts pilot strike action at the last minute
KLM, the de facto Dutch flag carrier, has averted a pilots’ strike after the airline and the union…
Link (AeroTime)

Edmonton International Airport (YEG) begins infrastructure upgrades
YEGEdmonton International Airport will be completing important infrastructure upgrades to the departures roadway on Level Two, on 26 September.
Link (International Airport Review)

Asian perspective: diversity, equity and inclusion in Taiwan
Yuanghung Ting (Tim), Director of Human Resources at Taiwan International Airport Corporation, writes exclusively for International Airport Review, on the many ways in which airports can promote a healthy and happy employee lifestyle.Yuanghung Ting (Tim), Director of Human Resources at Taiwan International Airport Corporation, writes exclusively for International Airport Review, on the many ways in which airports can promote a healthy and happy employee lifestyle.

Donald Trump slams 737 MAX, says Boeing should have updated the 757
Donald Trump has harshly criticized Boeing’s decision to launch the 737 MAX program, saying that the company should…
Link (AeroTime)

French airship to fly around the world nonstop, fossil fuel-free
A French team is preparing for a 20-day long nonstop airship flight that will circumnavigate the globe without…
Link (AeroTime)

Positive development at Edinburgh Airport as electric vehicle chargers installed
Edinburgh AirportDozens of new electric vehicle charging points are now available to passengers, enhancing the provision for sustainable transport at Edinburgh Airport.

KLM protests new Dutch tax for transit passengers
KLM has expressed its disagreement with the motion passed by the Dutch parliament on September 21, 2023, to…
Link (AeroTime)

London Luton Airport (LLA) recognised for carbon management
LLALondon Luton Airport (LLA) has achieved Level 4 of the Airport Carbon Accreditation (ACA) scheme and becomes only the third major UK airport to achieve this level.

Helsinki Airport Development Programme recognised for best data modelling in the world
Finavia Helsinki AirportBuildingSMART International awarded the prize for World's Best Data Modelling to Finavia’s ten-year Helsinki Airport Development Programme.

Aviation Quote

The emergencies you train for almost never happen. It's the one you can't train for that kills you.

- Ernest K. Gann, advice from the 'old pelican,' 'The Black Watch,' 1989.

On This Day

Click Here

Daily Video

Editor's Choice

Trivia

Who am I?

Thanks to Queso for today’s trivia.

1. First flown in 2001, I was the longest airliner in production and I can seat 419 in my 2 class seating arrangement. Who am I?

2. I am very famous for the shark-toothed paint job that one group of my operators put onto my nose. Almost 14,000 of my type were built and operated by 28 different nations including the United States and the Soviet Union. I guest-starred in movies along side the likes of John Wayne, Ronald Reagan, and John Belushi. Who am I?

3. I am a 2-seat, rag-and-tube plane first sold in 1964 who loves to fly upside-down and do loops and spins! In fact, my name is my primary reason for flying, (roughly) spelled backwards! Who am I?

4. I have been the King of the Skies for over 30 years, maintaining an air-superiority for the 4 countries who operate my type with an unmatched 104-to-0 kill ratio. One of my type once had an in-flight collision with another aircraft and it's skillful pilot safely landed the aircraft in spite of missing the entire right wing! Who am I?

5. I was the first (and perhaps only) aircraft to have flown with an operating nuclear reactor aboard. I was so heavy the designers went through several landing gear designs to help spread my tremendous weight across the tarmac. In fact, my payload was almost as much as the empty weight of one of the aircraft I replaced! And even though there were several innovative features included in my design such as my "pusher" engines and propellers, I was replaced in service by much faster aircraft after just a few years. Who am I?

6. Developed from a fighter jet design originally planned for Switzerland, my name is sometimes used synonymously as "business jet". I set the standard for small jets with two engines at the rear and a T-tail. Sleek and quite beautiful for the early 1960's era in which I was introduced, I could carry my 2 crew and 6 passengers up to 1,500 miles at well over 500 mph and up to 41,000 feet. The Argentine Air Force even used a couple of my type during the Falklands Island War to act as decoy strike aircraft sent to attack British ships! Who am I?

7. Operated by a tire and rubber company, I am 192 feet long, 59.5 feet tall, and 50 feet wide. I have a cruising speed of 35 mph in calm wind and I carry 6 passengers. You may have seen me circling major sporting events, and two of my type played a major role in the movie "Black Sunday". Who am I?

8. 7,000 of my type earned our keep transporting and evacuating troops in the jungles of Vietnam. We've served with every branch of the U.S. Armed Forces, several civilian branches of government, as well as being dependable and reliable money-makers for civilian businesses in jobs such as spraying crops, moving logs and carrying oil workers to and from offshore platforms. My design was also modified by making it much slimmer and lighter to produce one of the most successful gunships ever created and it was named after a snake, even though I share a name with a Baby. Who am I?

9. I am the only commercially successful supersonic passenger aircraft ever produced (thus far). Who am I?

10. I am most successful mass produced light aircraft in history. My type was first flown in 1955 and is still in production. As of 2008, more than 43,000 of my type had been built. I have seats for 4 people and can do a reasonable job of carrying them 600 nm at a speed of about 120 knots. My high wing, tricycle landing gear, and fixed-pitch prop design features and reasonable acquisition and operating cost make me a popular choice as a training aircraft as well. Who am I?
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air