You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : netAirspace Daily News

NAS Daily 23 JAN 23

The latest aviation news, brought to you by miamiair every weekday.

airtrainer 23 Jan 23, 15:56Post

News

Russian visas or bombs: anonymous letter threatens Lithuanian airports
Travelers at three Lithuanian airports were temporarily evacuated after an anonymous email warned that an explosive had been…
Link (AeroTime)

Kaman ends production of K-MAX heavy-lift helicopter
Kaman Aircraft will discontinue the production of the K-MAX heavy-lift helicopter due to low demand. The US manufacturer…
Link (AeroTime)

How self-service bag drop solutions pay dividends in passenger experience and non-aeronautical revenue for airports
Join this virtual panel to learn about the tangible benefits of implementing self-bag-drop, as well as best practice and lessons learned. Airports on the panel will also discuss the future of baggage handling through off-airport services
Link (International Airport Review)

CSMIA receives sustainability award from ASSOCHAM
Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) has been awarded the ‘Best Sustainable Airport of the Year’ by the Associated Chambers of Commerce & Industry of India (ASSOCHAM).CSMIA comments that the award honours the exceptional work of its staff members, who each day guarantee that operations at the airport operate smoothly.

Talking travel retail with Tracy Ross, Aer Rianta International Middle East
tracy ross travel retailWatch this exclusive interview with the Projects and Design Manager, Sustainability Champion and LEED Green Associate.

Next-generation workforce: Voxpop with Joyce Carter, YHZ
International Airport Review asked Joyce Carter, President and CEO of Halifax International Airport: "what advice would you give an individual who is looking to kickstart their career in aviation?"

Kenyan government to drop Kenya Airways bailout support by end of 2023: Report
The Kenyan government has unveiled plans to drop bailout support for Kenya Airways (KQ) by December 2023, introducing…
Link (AeroTime)

Emirates ramps up flights to Sydney, Melbourne; resumes Christchurch service
As travel demand to and from Australasia increases, Emirates has announced that it is ramping up its service…
Link (AeroTime)

flydubai Boeing 737 MAX 8 diverts to Krakow airport due to bomb threat: video
A flydubai Boeing 737 MAX 8 passenger aircraft was forced to divert to Krakow in Poland after a…
Link (AeroTime)

ABB: Engineering exceptional experiences into airports
Read ABB’s whitepaper to discover how digitalization is helping to meet rising passenger expectations, taking sustainability & efficiency to new heights.

Aviation Quote

The route to the target is more important than the target. We are going to go for the target, but we enjoy the route as well.

- Israeli Air Force Col. Ilan Ramon, to reporters on the eve of his Space Shuttle flight, 16 January 2003. STS-107 was lost on re-entry on 1 February 2003.

On This Day

Click Here

Daily Video

Editor's Choice

Trivia

Who am I?

Thanks to Queso for today’s trivia.

1. First flown in 2001, I was the longest airliner in production and I can seat 419 in my 2 class seating arrangement. Who am I?

2. I am very famous for the shark-toothed paint job that one group of my operators put onto my nose. Almost 14,000 of my type were built and operated by 28 different nations including the United States and the Soviet Union. I guest-starred in movies along side the likes of John Wayne, Ronald Reagan, and John Belushi. Who am I?

3. I am a 2-seat, rag-and-tube plane first sold in 1964 who loves to fly upside-down and do loops and spins! In fact, my name is my primary reason for flying, (roughly) spelled backwards! Who am I?

4. I have been the King of the Skies for over 30 years, maintaining an air-superiority for the 4 countries who operate my type with an unmatched 104-to-0 kill ratio. One of my type once had an in-flight collision with another aircraft and it's skillful pilot safely landed the aircraft in spite of missing the entire right wing! Who am I?

5. I was the first (and perhaps only) aircraft to have flown with an operating nuclear reactor aboard. I was so heavy the designers went through several landing gear designs to help spread my tremendous weight across the tarmac. In fact, my payload was almost as much as the empty weight of one of the aircraft I replaced! And even though there were several innovative features included in my design such as my "pusher" engines and propellers, I was replaced in service by much faster aircraft after just a few years. Who am I?

6. Developed from a fighter jet design originally planned for Switzerland, my name is sometimes used synonymously as "business jet". I set the standard for small jets with two engines at the rear and a T-tail. Sleek and quite beautiful for the early 1960's era in which I was introduced, I could carry my 2 crew and 6 passengers up to 1,500 miles at well over 500 mph and up to 41,000 feet. The Argentine Air Force even used a couple of my type during the Falklands Island War to act as decoy strike aircraft sent to attack British ships! Who am I?

7. Operated by a tire and rubber company, I am 192 feet long, 59.5 feet tall, and 50 feet wide. I have a cruising speed of 35 mph in calm wind and I carry 6 passengers. You may have seen me circling major sporting events, and two of my type played a major role in the movie "Black Sunday". Who am I?

8. 7,000 of my type earned our keep transporting and evacuating troops in the jungles of Vietnam. We've served with every branch of the U.S. Armed Forces, several civilian branches of government, as well as being dependable and reliable money-makers for civilian businesses in jobs such as spraying crops, moving logs and carrying oil workers to and from offshore platforms. My design was also modified by making it much slimmer and lighter to produce one of the most successful gunships ever created and it was named after a snake, even though I share a name with a Baby. Who am I?

9. I am the only commercially successful supersonic passenger aircraft ever produced (thus far). Who am I?

10. I am most successful mass produced light aircraft in history. My type was first flown in 1955 and is still in production. As of 2008, more than 43,000 of my type had been built. I have seats for 4 people and can do a reasonable job of carrying them 600 nm at a speed of about 120 knots. My high wing, tricycle landing gear, and fixed-pitch prop design features and reasonable acquisition and operating cost make me a popular choice as a training aircraft as well. Who am I?
Grounded...