You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : netAirspace Daily News

NAS Daily 25 MAR 21

The latest aviation news, brought to you by miamiair every weekday.

airtrainer 25 Mar 21, 00:53Post

News

Accidents/Incidents

Qatar Airways Boeing 777 suffers tire damage, diverts to Doha
A Qatar Airways Boeing 777 aircraft suffered nose tire damage while departing from Doha, Qatar to Bangkok, Thailand, and diverted back to the airport of departure.
Link

Commercial

Boeing, Hypersonix to study hydrogen-powered hypersonic vehicle
The Australia-based startup Hypersonix Launch Systems signed a research agreement with Boeing to explore the development of a sustainable hypersonic vehicle powered by the Hypersonix SPARTAN scramjet engines, which use hydrogen as fuel.
Link

Rolls-Royce forced to drop subsidiary sale to Russia
The government of Norway announced blocking the $178 million sale of the Norwegian engine manufacturing company owned by Britain’s Rolls-Royce to Russian-controlled company THM Group after concerns appeared that the move could pose security-related implications for Norway’s navy and the civilian sector.
Link

FAA Expected To Certify The Boeing 737 MAX 200 This Week
Ryanair Group CEO Michael O’Leary has shared some key updates regarding the certification and delivery schedule of its highly-anticipated Boeing 737 MAX 200. The head of the Irish carrier said in a press conference today that the model could be certified as early as this week, and the first units are expected to arrive at the airline’s facilities next month.
Link

The Future Planes Of Airbus: Zero Emission Hydrogen Aircraft
Airbus released a proposal for a series of zero-emission aircraft in late 2020. These could set Airbus apart as a leading manufacturer in this arena, but there is still much work to be done. Airbus has since revealed more about its plans, its commitment to hydrogen and its timetable for development.
Link

Airlines

Ryanair’s O’Leary: Lufthansa is like a drunken uncle at a German wedding
The ever expressive Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary compared Lufthansa (LHAB) (LHA) to a “drunken uncle at a German wedding,” as the German airline group was hoovering up state aid.
O’Leary said that Lufthansa (LHAB) (LHA) was “reeling around Europe like a drunken uncle at a German wedding hoovering up state subsidies,” when the chief executive provided an update on the low-cost carrier’s plans for the coming summer.
Link

GlobalX Airlines Plans First Airbus A321 Delivery For April 12th
Startup airline GlobalX is gearing up to receive its first Airbus A321. The plane is due to arrive in Miami on April 12. It is another small step forward for the airline. The announcement comes just two months after GlobalX took delivery of its first Airbus.
Link

Avianca Lost Over $1 Billion In 2020
In 2020, Avianca Holdings, the second-largest South American carrier, posted a net loss of US$1.904 billion due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in the region. The company was forced to start a bankruptcy process in the US, under Chapter 11, but expects to exit it in the second half of this year.
Link

JetBlue Looks At Options For Future Embraer E190 Retirements
The Embraer E190 is an important aircraft for JetBlue. The aircraft, which flies on some regional and lower-demand routes where a larger aircraft would have too much capacity, has allowed the carrier to expand into markets and run routes that it never had before. Now, however, the carrier is looking to move beyond its Embraer E190s and replace them with Airbus A220.
Link

Why Is Aer Lingus Launching Transatlantic Flights From Manchester?
As Aer Lingus announces four long-haul routes from Manchester, we look at each market and the reason for them. The overall driver is the gap that came about following the end of Thomas Cook (and others) – New York went from six airlines to one – that has made Virgin Atlantic more dominant than ever. Aer Lingus is positioning itself for the post-coronavirus period.
Link

Airports

International airport closed by volcanic ash in Guatemala
Guatemalan air authorities suspended flights to and from Guatemala's La Aurora International Airport (GUA) after ashes from the nearby Pacaya volcano fell over the city.
Link

Pittsburgh Airport Gets Green Light To Restart Modernization Plan
On Monday, March 22nd, Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) received the green light from airlines to restart its modernization program. While the budget has increased slightly, airlines are willing to put forward the funding to make the airport a better place for passengers, employees, and carriers. As the airport works out the final details, the new terminal is expected to open up, if all goes well, in 2025.
Link

Military

Fraud suspected amid Russia’s only aircraft carrier repair
The director of Shipyard No. 10 in Polyarny, near Murmansk in northwestern Russia, has been arrested for allegedly embezzling $589 million wrongfully allocated for the repair of Russia's only aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov.
Link

US is spending $15B on hypersonic weapons, report reveals
The United States has 70 different hypersonic weapon programs costing $15 billion, according to a government study.
The report, detailing the effort to develop hypersonic weapons in the United States, was released by the US Government Accountability Office (GAO).
Link

Aviation Quote

Sometimes I watch myself fly. For in the history of human flight it is not yet so very late; and a man may still wonder once in a while and ask: how is it that I, poor earth-habitituated animal, can fly?

Any young boy can nowadays explain human flight — mechanistically: " . . . and to climb you shove the throttle all the way forward and pull back just a little on the stick. . . . " One might as well explain music by saying that the further over to the right you hit the piano the higher it will sound. The makings of a flight are not in the levers, wheels, and pedals but in the nervous system of the pilot: physical sensations, bits of textbook, deep-rooted instincts, burnt-child memories of trouble aloft, hangar talk.

- Wolfgang Langewiesche, 'A Flyer's World.'

On This Day

Click Here

Daily Video

Editor's Choice

Trivia

3D ID

Grounded...
PA110 (Founding Member) 25 Mar 21, 13:24Post

What, pray tell, is a Max 200? There's a Max 7, Max 8, Max 9 and even a Max 10.

It may be just me, but I find the reporting on Simpleflying.com really shallow and riddled with errors.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
bhmbaglock 25 Mar 21, 15:56Post
PA110 wrote:

It may be just me, but I find the reporting on Simpleflying.com really shallow and riddled with errors.

Max 8 with extra pair of exit doors over the wing enabling true slave ship seating with 200 seats.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 25 Mar 21, 16:19Post
bhmbaglock wrote:
PA110 wrote:

Max 8 with extra pair of exit doors over the wing enabling true slave ship seating with 200 seats.

Why isn't LH buying these?

Boeing Press Release.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
airtrainer 25 Mar 21, 21:42Post
PA110 wrote:

Not an error, the MAX 200 is based on the 8 and developed for Ryanair.

As for the news sources, like I said earlier I’m all open to suggestions ;)
Grounded...