You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : netAirspace Daily News

NAS Daily 23 OCT 20

The latest aviation news, brought to you by miamiair every weekday.

airtrainer 22 Oct 20, 23:31Post

News

Commercial

Boeing Released Live Virus In A Plane To Test Surface Cleaning
As part of its Confident Travel Initiative, Boeing has tested out its cleaning methodologies using a live virus and a real aircraft. In partnership with the University of Arizona, the manufacturer trialed cleaning with chemical disinfectants, electrostatic sprayers, antimicrobial coatings, and Boeing’s ultraviolet wand. Every one of the technologies was proven to be effective at destroying the virus.
Link

China Doesn't Know When It Will Recertify The Boeing 737 MAX
The reintroduction of the Boeing 737 MAX is becoming an increasingly hot topic in the aviation industry. Since the type’s grounding last year following two major accidents, Boeing has made numerous changes to enhance its safety. However, China is one country in which its reintroduction does not appear to be imminent.
Link

Boeing In Early Discussions On New Aircraft - But Its Not The NMA
Boeing is reportedly in early talks about working on a new commercial aircraft. The United States-based manufacturer has spoken with the likes of plane leasing firms and suppliers about the prospects. However, this plane is not the previously anticipated NMA.
Link

The Short-Haul Jumbo Jet: Meet The Boeing 747D
The Queen of the Skies has been an aircraft that is synonymous with long-haul travel. Flying passengers all over the world for more than half a century, many of us experienced our first far away trip onboard one of these jumbos. But did you know there was also a specific 747-400 designed for the short-haul market ?
Link

Airlines

Wizz Air Opens Its London Gatwick Base
European low-cost carrier Wizz Air today opened its London Gatwick base. The airline has been expanding rapidly despite the current pandemic and had been keen to move into London Gatwick as others moved out.
Link

Delta Air Lines Takes Delivery Of The First American Built Airbus A220
Airbus has today announced that the very first A220 to be assembled in the United States has been delivered to Delta Air Lines. This narrowbody was being worked on at the manufacturer’s facility in Mobile, Alabama.
Link

Alaska Airlines Set For Future Fleet Shakeup
During Alaska Airlines’ third-quarter earnings call, the airline’s executives hinted at a forthcoming fleet shakeup at the carrier. Lumbered with a large fleet of ex-Virgin America A320s, the airline seems keen to get back to being an all-Boeing fleet. Could a further order for the 737 MAX be on the cards at Alaska ?
Link

American Airlines Retires Entire Airbus A330 Fleet
In its third-quarter financial results announced Thursday, American Airlines confirmed it would be retiring the remainder of its A330s. The last of the Airbus widebodies inherited from US Airways, already in storage, will exit immediately. This means that the airline will now operate an all-Boeing long-haul fleet.
Link

ANA's Final Airbus A380 Completes Its Customer Acceptance Flight
ANA’s final Airbus A380 has finally completed its customer acceptance flight. The milestone means that, while a date is yet to be confirmed by the airline, the delivery of the giant of the skies is edging closer.
Link

Spirit Airlines Unveils Revamped Loyalty Program
Spirit Airlines is completely revamping its loyalty program. A refreshed Free Spirit will debut on January 21st, with a near nose to tail refresh aimed at everything from leisure travelers to small business owners with new ways to earn miles and, brand new to Spirit, elite status.
Link

American Airlines Defers MAX Deliveries Following $2.4 Billion net Loss
American Airlines has posted a sizeable $2.4 billion loss today for the third quarter of 2020. Despite the tough operating environment, American finished the quarter with more than $15 billion in liquidity, thanks to aggressive cost-cutting and cash-raising activities. One of those actions has been to defer deliveries of 18 Boeing 737 MAX, which should have arrived over the next 24 months.
Link

Ex British Airways 747 Will Be Saved As A Film Set
British Airways is to save one of its Boeing 747 aircraft from the scrapheap. The aircraft, registered as G-CIVW, will be flown to Dunsfold Aerodrome in Surrey, where it will be turned into a film set alongside another former BA 747.
Link

Airports

Calgary To Trial Scrapping Quarantine For Some International Arrivals
Alberta’s Calgary Airport is to become the first and only airport in Canada to have a government-approved COVID-19 testing trial for arriving international passengers. The trial is due to start on November 2. It will slash the number of days arriving passengers have to spend in quarantine. The trial’s announcement was welcomed by Canada’s leading airlines.
Link

Istanbul becomes first Turkish airport to receive Zero Waste Certificate
Istanbul Airport (IST) – where ​​İstanbul Grand Airport (iGA), the airport’s operator, has carefully implemented a range of environment and sustainability policies – has become the first airport in Turkey to be issued with a Zero Waste Certificate.
Link

Aviation Quote

But I have seen the science I worshiped, and the airplane I loved, destroying the civilization I expected them to serve.

- Charles A. Lindbergh, Time magazine, 26 May 1967.

On This Day

Click Here

Daily Video

Editor's Choice

Trivia

General Trivia

1. “I apparently was the first to pilot a heavier-than-air aircraft in controlled flight. I also was first to use the term, ‘aero plane,’ and even wrote a small book with that title. I died following a crash in an aircraft of my design, and my last words were, ‘How is the machine?’ Who am I?”

2. True or False? A pilot is about to land an airplane with the right landing-gear leg and nosewheel extended but with the left landing-gear leg stuck in its well. The ailerons are equipped with conventional trim tabs that are controllable from the cockpit. During landing and rollout, the right aileron tab should be deflected fully downward.

3. Why did some airmen training at Midland, Texas, during World War II have a higher incidence of black eyes than airmen training elsewhere?

4. How can you tell the difference between a U.S. Naval aviator and a traditional Naval officer who does not fly simply by looking at their feet?

5. A pilot wants to fly a perfectly rectangular pattern while in the left traffic pattern for Runway 36 when the wind is strong and from the northeast. This requires that the radius of all turns be the same with respect to the ground. Assuming a constant airspeed throughout the pattern, the most steeply banked turn will be required when turning from
a. base to final.
b. crosswind to downwind.
c. downwind to base.
d. upwind to crosswind.

6. True or False: Most of the American aircraft that took off from Oahu during the Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor were shot down.

7. True or False: It is legal for a VFR-only pilot to fly extended distances in a small airplane above a solid undercast with no more than the instruments required for VFR flight.

8. Who was the first woman in the United States to become a licensed glider pilot?
Grounded...