You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

What Did You Learn Today?

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 12 Mar 18, 00:49Post
The seats in the 787 cockpit are harder than I anticipated.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 12 Mar 18, 19:05Post
Colorado vehicle registration renewal fees are almost as painful as the initial registration. $300 for another year. {sigh}
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 12 Mar 18, 19:09Post
Add $100 to that for anything in MT 5 years old or newer.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 12 Mar 18, 19:29Post
Ouch. I'm beginning to miss NM a bit where I don't think I paid over $100 to renew a registration unless I paid for more than a year at a time.
Boris (Founding Member) 12 Mar 18, 19:42Post
In Florida:
depending on the weight of your vehicle—range is from $46.15 to $72.40
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers...
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 13 Mar 18, 17:47Post
Less than $50.00 here in Va.
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 13 Mar 18, 21:56Post
NM registration renewals were based on weight and class. Here in the People's Republic of Kolorado we're taxed on vehicle value apparently.
Mark 15 Mar 18, 23:30Post
I knew that Sean Hannity and Chris Matthews shared something in common. Lord knows, it's not political ideology or sense of humor. Turns out, I've discovered they both say, "Watch this," before playing a video segment on their shows.

BTW, Wisconsin light truck and car plates are $75 a year. The county of the primary owner's residence can add $10 onto that as wheel tax. So, I pay $85 a year for my pickup truck plates. Age of the vehicle or book value don't matter. Personalized plates cost $10 more a year.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Mark 15 Mar 18, 23:38Post
Oh... and my 8-month-old starling has learned to say, "Thank you," whenever I bring him clean water and new food. Cutest damned thing.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Apr 18, 15:27Post
There are such things as cadaver dogs that can smell bodies buried some way under ground and that have been there for some years. Their handlers are really interesting people, but don't ever strike up a conversation with one if you intend ever sleeping again.
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jun 18, 21:50Post
I learned that MySQL and MariaDB have been developed by the same guy, a Finn named Monty Widenius, who has 2 daughters, My and Maria.

I take it the correct pronounciation of MySQL would then be "mü SQL"?

Widenius also has a son named Max. SAP's database management system, MaxDB, is named after him, as Widenius contributed to that one as well.

No small wonder it's so hard to find good experts on databases, if they all have been developed by the same Finn... {boxed}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Fumanchewd 10 Jun 18, 15:56Post
Justin Trudeau wears fake eyebrows.

"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 11 Jul 18, 11:19Post
I learned that Facebook found a few concerts and music events that happen near me this weekend.

Which leads to the question - where on earth does Facebook think I am right now??

facebook-wtf.jpg
facebook-wtf.jpg (243.03 KiB) Viewed 2135 times

{crazy}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 11 Jul 18, 12:22Post
Zak wrote:Which leads to the question - where on earth does Facebook think I am right now??

As of a few weeks ago, all my Instagram ads are from Guatemala.

Carmen, what did you do?!
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Cadet57 13 Jul 18, 22:06Post
JLAmber wrote:There are such things as cadaver dogs that can smell bodies buried some way under ground and that have been there for some years. Their handlers are really interesting people, but don't ever strike up a conversation with one if you intend ever sleeping again.

I mean, I feel like I'd still get a pretty good nights sleep. ;)
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jul 18, 16:01Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
Zak wrote:Which leads to the question - where on earth does Facebook think I am right now??

I'm also seeing lots of ads from outside the EU. Strange, it's as if Facebook are trying to get round new EU privacy laws by claiming they didn't know you were in the EU.... {scratch}
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 14 Jul 18, 17:56Post
I think they just f*cked up some algorithm. When I ask Facebook to show me events taking place this weekend, it shows me venues taking place as late as 30 September.

Current "near me" selection includes a lecture on international philosophy in Brasilia, an arts workshop in Karachi, some unidentifiable event in Hanoi, and a cycling fundraiser in Queretaro, Mexico. The last one is the only location I've actually ever been to. {boggled}
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jul 18, 23:56Post
Zak wrote:I think they just f*cked up some algorithm. When I ask Facebook to show me events taking place this weekend, it shows me venues taking place as late as 30 September.

Nope, it is a campaign of plausible deniability selecting non-EU locations as the basis for ads. Loads of major advertisers are complaining about it in the blue-tick admins group. As far as bypassing laws go, it has to be the clumsiest since *another social media site* decided that the best way to get around social media censorship in China was to use an obscure SE Asian language that less than 5 million people can understand. Guess what happened to the reach of those ads? {facepalm}
A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jul 18, 00:07Post
Anyway, moving on. As some of you know, I am going a bit Good Life. One, frankly vital, lesson I have learned from the few days I have thus far spent in our rural retreat is that one should never attempt anything marital in the farmhouse kitchen. Two reasons: Firstly, the floor is made of slate and my knees are what you would expect from someone whose party-piece used be changing car tyres without the need for a jack. Secondly, roosters are very intuitive and easily excitable.

I don't think I've ever been this grateful to be back on the coast...
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 24 Jul 18, 09:29Post
So you had a little "cock-a-doodle-noo!" incident? {mischief}

One day, they will sell that smartphone with a built-in breathalyzer. If not to prevent others from posting too much information after a great night out, then at least to prevent me from reading it sober. {laugh}
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 08 Aug 18, 16:18Post
I learned that Cessna does not paint the many, many, 172s that ATP Flight School buys from them. They are delivered all-white and painted by the school, in house, down in Dallas.

I also learned that this is not because ATP does it themselves cheaper, but because Cessna will not do custom paint schemes.
Mark 15 Aug 18, 17:24Post
In the past two days, two of my doctors have each recommended that I apply for disability. I didn't mention it to them. They brought it up to me. And my quite conservative brother suggested it on Monday.... he's the last person in the world that I would have thought to suggest it. Today's doctor said, "You've helped people in need for 55 to 70 hours a week for 39 years. You're worn out. It's time to think about taking a break."

I have a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome that's made life a challenge and I now have peripheral neuropathy in my legs from Type II diabetes. I have a 30 pound weight restriction in the use of my shoulders from lifting ambulance stretchers and carrying people for almost 40 years. I don't feel disabled. Yeah, I'd like to do less strenuous work, but I didn't think it was that bad.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 20 Aug 18, 03:37Post
I learned how much it costs to obtain even the most basic hangar. {vsad}
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Aug 18, 04:06Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:

{laugh} Maybe it's a sign that the next netAirspace meet should be around these parts? :))
Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 28 Aug 18, 13:50Post
I learned that Officers in Denver PD's air unit have to obtain their aeronautical ratings on their own prior to selection to the unit.

It is a small unit with very little movement, so that's quite the financial gamble.