You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

What Did You Learn Today?

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Mar 21, 20:20Post
No, I didn't imagine the starry Concorde paint job I was sure I'd seen in a book.

(from heritageconcorde.com)

Special 20th-anniversary paint job applied to F-BVFB at TLS. I assume it never flew, but would love to be proved wrong.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 29 Mar 21, 19:26Post
And another Concorde one: SAA had their titles on a BA bird.

https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/1- ... ustom.html
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 30 Mar 21, 17:00Post
Management at my Apartment Complex will allow me to install an exterior security camera.

Now, the identity of "Goodie Bag Dropper" will be reveled. Or, she'll notice the camera and stop.
Make Orwell fiction again.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 30 Mar 21, 17:32Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Management at my Apartment Complex will allow me to install an exterior security camera.

Now, the identity of "Goodie Bag Dropper" will be reveled. Or, she'll notice the camera and stop.

What if you're passing up on your dream girl?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 30 Mar 21, 20:37Post
miamiair wrote:What if you're passing up on your dream girl?

Then I'll live the rest of my life alone...and happy...and unbothered.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 30 Mar 21, 21:15Post
But she's gots candy and is willing to share.

That's a rarity in my house.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Fumanchewd 30 Apr 21, 06:39Post
Fumanchewd wrote:I learned that the difference between a 5A3307-7 and a -9 is that the -9 has updated lights and the girt bar needs to be adjusted for the slide's position on the aircraft.

Then I looked up what a girt bar is- I am really starting from scratch on some of this stuff.

We got lucky and on one of our teardown's- we had many x -9 slides with Date Of Man 2020 come off the aircraft. Those slides are very rare that new and very desireable. I just sold all of them to one of the major major accounts who have been COVID asleep until last month, they want them for their initial MAX's...

Shit is picking up speed, and we are understaffed. :) :)
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 May 21, 12:31Post
LH flight attendants are not kind creatures. But very tall.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 May 21, 13:06Post
Also, it was not today that I learned this, but the immigration process in Dubai, even with coronavirus, is 1/100th as tedious as it is any time I step foot back on American soil.
Mark 02 May 21, 14:09Post
Lucas wrote:LH flight attendants are not kind creatures. But very tall.

Bullwhip in the right hand, Diet Coke in the left.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 May 21, 17:18Post
Mark wrote:
Lucas wrote:LH flight attendants are not kind creatures. But very tall.

That gave me an actual LOL. It's 100% true!
Mark 02 May 21, 17:58Post
Lucas wrote:
Mark wrote:

That gave me an actual LOL. It's 100% true!

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 May 21, 16:47Post
Of all the sick, twisted, and outright stupid data formats I've ever had to deal with, YAML has to be the absolute worst.

A single space out of place will make the whole document invalid, and the parser will blame a perfectly innocent piece of code several hundred lines down. Editing this mess is fraught with danger, and rapidly turns into a game of whack-a-mole. "Fragile" doesn't come close. Combine this with Ansible, and today has been truly awful. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

I had a perfectly good shell script, but... reasons. {grumpy}
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 09 Jun 21, 15:33Post
Apparently, the pain and stiffness from hiking on Sunday waited until today to assert itself.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 09 Jun 21, 17:12Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Apparently, the pain and stiffness from hiking on Sunday waited until today to assert itself.

Where were you hiking!?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 09 Jun 21, 17:26Post
Lucas wrote:Where were you hiking!?

Seven Falls:
https://www.broadmoor.com/broadmoor-adv ... ven-falls/
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 02 Aug 21, 21:48Post
According to a recent online job announcement, the job of "Airport Operations Representative" is remarkably similar to the job I currently have. In bold are the overlapping skills...

In this role you will join the Airport Communications Center team and support our world-class airport 24/7/365 operation. The primary duties of this position are to provide a variety of operational and emergency support services to airport management, public safety personnel and the traveling public. 

• Controls a centralized communications center which includes monitoring and operating multiple computer systems such as two-way radio and voice communication consoles, fire alarm, runway surface sensor system, and CCTV system.
  • Monitors, operates and controls computerized weather reporting systems to access, monitor and interpret weather conditions, and initiates airport-wide response.
  • Accesses and operates a FAA computer system to transmit Notices to Airmen to report status of airfield conditions.
  • Acts as the central coordination and communications center during airfield emergencies and snow events to coordinate airport-wide and external emergency responses. Staffs the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to support communications and coordination functions.
  • Operates an automated communications console making and receiving calls in routine operations and non-routine operations and notifies appropriate response personnel.
  • Monitors and controls a centralized security system to enforce Transportation Security Administration regulations and receives alarms and initiates appropriate airport response. Enforces Airport Security plan by issuing violation notices to airport employees for security violations.
  • Maintains accurate and complete log book entries and manual records of airport events.
  • Supports snow events by assisting airlines servicing DEN, airport operations and the ramp tower during deicing operations.
  • Trains other employees in day to day procedures. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.

Application submitted, but I'm not holding my breath. Since I lack a BS in Aviation (I could get one for $20,000), "at least two (2) years of airline, fixed base operator, military aviation, air traffic control or airport experience, and a bunch of alphabet soup certificates, it'd be easy to just toss my application aside. That said, the job duties in this announcement are closer to my current job than any other I've applied for at the airport.
Fumanchewd 05 Aug 21, 21:55Post
ShyFlyer wrote:According to a recent online job announcement, the job of "Airport Operations Representative" is remarkably similar to the job I currently have. In bold are the overlapping skills...

In this role you will join the Airport Communications Center team and support our world-class airport 24/7/365 operation. The primary duties of this position are to provide a variety of operational and emergency support services to airport management, public safety personnel and the traveling public. 

• Controls a centralized communications center which includes monitoring and operating multiple computer systems such as two-way radio and voice communication consoles, fire alarm, runway surface sensor system, and CCTV system.
  • Monitors, operates and controls computerized weather reporting systems to access, monitor and interpret weather conditions, and initiates airport-wide response.
  • Accesses and operates a FAA computer system to transmit Notices to Airmen to report status of airfield conditions.
  • Acts as the central coordination and communications center during airfield emergencies and snow events to coordinate airport-wide and external emergency responses. Staffs the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to support communications and coordination functions.
  • Operates an automated communications console making and receiving calls in routine operations and non-routine operations and notifies appropriate response personnel.
  • Monitors and controls a centralized security system to enforce Transportation Security Administration regulations and receives alarms and initiates appropriate airport response. Enforces Airport Security plan by issuing violation notices to airport employees for security violations.
  • Maintains accurate and complete log book entries and manual records of airport events.
  • Supports snow events by assisting airlines servicing DEN, airport operations and the ramp tower during deicing operations.
  • Trains other employees in day to day procedures. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.

Application submitted, but I'm not holding my breath. Since I lack a BS in Aviation (I could get one for $20,000), "at least two (2) years of airline, fixed base operator, military aviation, air traffic control or airport experience, and a bunch of alphabet soup certificates, it'd be easy to just toss my application aside. That said, the job duties in this announcement are closer to my current job than any other I've applied for at the airport.

Do you work at the airport? Start talking to these guys and find out who makes the hiring decisions. More than half of people in almost any industry are hired with connections, not websites or resumes. Try to figure out a way to speak with them- airport seminars, at work, whatever. I've worked with a lot of airport ops guys and I find it difficult to think its that that hard to be qualified as one. Great guys, but no degree will prepare you for that job. When I worked in Scottsdale they would spend half their time picking up FOD, fixing signs, chasing coyotes off of the runway, and yelling at people for parking in wrong spots. A bigger international airport isn't that different, I've worked with them in OAK as well.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
PA110 (Founding Member) 05 Aug 21, 22:53Post
Today, I learned that Mokulele (the airline) is also the Hawaiian word for aircraft, as in: moku (vessel) + lele (to fly)

Used in a sentence: Hele au ma ka mokulele i kēia lā. (I am going by airplane today)
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 06 Aug 21, 00:29Post
PA110 wrote:Today, I learned that Mokulele (the airline) is also the Hawaiian word for aircraft, as in: moku (vessel) + lele (to fly)

I learned that today as well!

Fumanchewd wrote:Do you work at the airport?

Nope. One could say I spend quite a bit of time "behind bars."
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Aug 21, 12:42Post
Fumanchewd wrote:
Do you work at the airport? Start talking to these guys and find out who makes the hiring decisions. More than half of people in almost any industry are hired with connections, not websites or resumes. Try to figure out a way to speak with them- airport seminars, at work, whatever. I've worked with a lot of airport ops guys and I find it difficult to think its that that hard to be qualified as one. Great guys, but no degree will prepare you for that job. When I worked in Scottsdale they would spend half their time picking up FOD, fixing signs, chasing coyotes off of the runway, and yelling at people for parking in wrong spots. A bigger international airport isn't that different, I've worked with them in OAK as well.

You can get a lot of the ACE type things done through online programs. A friend of mine did that (no experience landside or airside) and got picked up for an ops job in Iraq making the huge bucks. Zero experience with the actual ops, but got the certs and had experience working overseas so they just went with him.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 08 Aug 21, 20:58Post
On a related note, learned today said airport now has an opening in Ramp Tower. I also learned that one can apply for and get rejected for a job within thirty seconds. {sorry}
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 Oct 21, 22:07Post
There is/was a Tu-204 in DHL paint.

GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 14 Oct 21, 16:53Post
{bugeye}

Well that's a thing.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 10 Nov 21, 01:12Post
Today I learned that my car's windshield will repel a metallic object, about the size of a standard screwdriver...while the vehicle is moving at highway (65mph) speeds...without so much as an impact mark.