You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

What Did You Learn Today?

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 09 Jan 19, 23:44Post
Finally hit a million miles...

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 4.42.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 4.42.40 PM.png (38.63 KiB) Viewed 6008 times
Make Orwell fiction again.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Jan 19, 15:00Post
I learned that the Finnish PM has told British citizens living here to register with the immigration authority, Migri. Which is fine, except I tried that already.

After this amount of time here, I'm entitled to permanent residence, but because I'm an EU citizen who's been here this long I'm also entitled to permanent residence, therefore I can't have a permanent residence card because EU-citizen permanent residents don't need one. {facepalm}

My colleague, a German citizen, has one. {facepalm}

They have no idea whether I'll still be entitled to permanent residence after Brexit, despite having just told me that being here for 7 years would more than qualify me regardless of EU citizenship. {facepalm}

They have no idea because nobody, from the PM on down, has told them anything. {facepalm}

I'm supposed to go to Israel for work two weeks after the current Brexit deadline. Assuming I'm even allowed to fly home, I may have to claim asylum to get back into the country. {facepalm}

Meanwhile, Estonia's already decided unilaterally that UK citizens who have lived there long enough will get permanent residence. Job done.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 17 Jan 19, 23:20Post
I learned that edentulous is an actual word.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 18 Jan 19, 00:18Post
Seems I'm on a roll (not the bread) today...

I learned Jeff Bezos was born in Albuquerque, as was his side-piece Lauren Sanchez.

I also learned that "spandau ballet" isn't just the name of an English band from the 80s.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Jan 19, 02:09Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Finally hit a million miles...

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 4.42.40 PM.png

I believe our top miles earners are up around the 15 million mark {boxed}
A million great ideas...
Fumanchewd 20 Jan 19, 19:52Post
Famous blogger andYouTuberr Sam Harris's mother, Susan Harris, was a producer and writer for many famous shows including Soap, Benson The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, and a few others I've never heard of.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Mark 20 Jan 19, 21:45Post
A starling's beak is a good indicator of when spring will come. Their beaks are black in the winter, but start turning bright yellow as spring approaches. My starling's beak is starting to turn yellow and that, if he's right, says we're going to have an early spring in the upper Midwest.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Jan 19, 22:00Post
Mark wrote:A starling's beak is a good indicator of when spring will come. Their beaks are black in the winter, but start turning bright yellow as spring approaches. My starling's beak is starting to turn yellow and that, if he's right, says we're going to have an early spring in the upper Midwest.

Well, not in Chicagoland, not for the next frickin' 14 days, because of the 14" of snow on the ground right now . . . and +1 temps and 30mph winds. . . .

See me in February . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 21 Jan 19, 18:50Post
Internet wayback machine doesn't work on MSM websites.

{sarcastic}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 23 Jan 19, 14:19Post
That Alaska would almost have become an overseas territory of the Pricipality of Liechtenstein, the sixth-smallest country in the world.

Only recently, Liechtenstein's current Prince Hans-Adam confirmed an old rumour that, in 1867, Russian Emperor Alexander had asked then-Prince Franz if Liechtenstein wanted to buy Alaska from Russia.

Franz rejected the offer, assuming there was nothing of value in Alaska. Only then, Russia offered Alaska to the United States of America.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 23 Jan 19, 14:38Post
I swear I heard an eagle cry when I read that. *sniff
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 28 Jan 19, 18:03Post
A type certified AutoGyro Cavalon will cost $148,420.87. They're taking pre-orders now and anticipate FAA certification "this Spring." A pre-order requires a 50% deposit.

This hurts on so many levels. {guilty} {vsad}
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 03 Feb 19, 12:17Post
I learned that Colombia is home to a sizeable population of (now) wild hippos. {bugeye}

From Wikipedia:

In the late 1980s, Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar kept four hippos in a private menagerie at his residence in Hacienda Nápoles, 100 kilometres (62 mi) east of Medellín, Colombia, after buying them in New Orleans. They were deemed too difficult to seize and move after Escobar's death, and hence left on the untended estate. By 2007, the animals had multiplied to 16 and had taken to roaming the area for food in the nearby Magdalena River.

In 2009, two adults and one calf escaped the herd and, after attacking humans and killing cattle, one of the adults (called "Pepe") was killed by hunters under authorization of the local authorities. As of early 2014, 40 hippos have been reported to exist in Puerto Triunfo, Antioquia from the original four belonging to Escobar. As of 2018 the growing population was estimated at 50-70. Without management the population size is likely to more than double in next decade. The National Geographic Channel produced a documentary about them titled Cocaine Hippos. A report published in a Yale student magazine noted that local environmentalists are campaigning to protect the animals, although there is no clear plan for what will happen to them.

In 2018, National Geographic published an article on the hippos, citing disagreement among environmentalists on whether they were having a positive or negative impact, but that conservationists and locals - particularly those in the tourism industry - were mostly in support of their continued presence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopota ... _potential

I actually did not know that, but The Grand Tour turns out to be very eductional once again. Jeremy Clarkson is becoming more and more the Sir David Attenborough of car journalism. The only issue standing between him and knighthood is probably the disturbing details he found out surrounding another animal in Colombia.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 05 Feb 19, 17:07Post
Anything is possible...until you do the math.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Feb 19, 17:15Post
Zak wrote:I learned that Colombia is home to a sizeable population of (now) wild hippos.

Escobar also had leopards and there have been sightings of unusually robust looking jaguars nearby. Turns out the two can cross-breed.

Zak wrote:The only issue standing between him and knighthood is probably the disturbing details he found out surrounding another animal in Colombia.

Who can resist a hot piece of ass? {boxed}
A million great ideas...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 12 Feb 19, 17:35Post
It looks like I could be a Canadian sometime soon. {mischief}

Oh Canaduuuuh

Only $1 Trillion though?
Mark 17 Feb 19, 02:13Post
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 24 Feb 19, 18:51Post
Hoodies exist in the future:

futurecool.png
futurecool.png (168.41 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 12 May 19, 00:48Post
You can add music to your Facebook profile.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 22 May 19, 21:41Post
Unicode has a pile of shit character but apparently, as of late 2018, does not have a 4-way arrow. Positioning a north-south arrow over an east-west arrow is the best you can do.

Also, I find my own code from 8 years ago horrific to look at.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Mark 22 May 19, 21:47Post
In Britain, people carrying milkshakes can hold politicians hostage on buses.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 21 Jul 19, 04:00Post
Level D flight sims are quite awesome.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 28 Aug 19, 14:05Post
Apparently posting a meme of a girl in a clothes dryer gets you the cooler for 24 hours on Bookface.

Zuck clearly has no humor...GD robot.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Aug 19, 20:31Post
My damn ticker is still dicked up . . . . FFS. Gonna go see the man again . . . now what???
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 01 Sep 19, 19:45Post
Swire Group bottles Coca-Cola products in my area. Yeah, that Swire Group.

SwireMap2.0.jpg
SwireMap2.0.jpg (84.78 KiB) Viewed 5451 times