You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

What Did You Learn Today?

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 04 Sep 19, 08:10Post
Windows 7 has handy keyboard shortcuts to rotate the display by 90 degrees.

When I find out what they are, I can put the monitor back on its stand...

My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 24 Sep 19, 20:22Post
"Texas" is slang in Norway for "crazy" or "wild" and is used to refer to a chaotic atmosphere.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34622478
Make Orwell fiction again.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 13 Nov 19, 19:59Post
Moby calls himself Moby because his real name is Richard Melville, and he's indeed the great-great-grandson of "Moby Dick" author Herman Melville. I did not know that.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 30 Nov 19, 18:27Post
There is a game version of debugging code.
Baba is You.
99% of 5000+ Steam reviews are positive.

Had planned to go out tonight. Meh. Just one more level...
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 06 Jan 20, 03:12Post
You can start a C-130 using the propwash from another C-130.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 06 Jan 20, 19:15Post

Read about them, but never saw one done. Improvisation is one thing that can't be MEL's in Africa.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Jan 20, 19:18Post
That vid was awesome:

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 14 Jan 20, 18:34Post
I learned that, in Windows 10, you can minimize (and restore) all other windows by "shaking" the active one. Drag it like when you want to reposition it, give it a little shake, result.

I did not know that yet. But I will use it a lot now. 8)
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 03 Feb 20, 07:32Post
I learned that I can connect ForeFlight to XPlane without any additional equipment.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Mar 20, 21:21Post
The UK's most popular producers of marital aids have a helicopter. They took that helicopter to the Cheltenham festival last week and one of our photographers took a photo of it. I DB edited the shot. The registration is the same as the name of one of their most popular products. I need to clear my search history.
A million great ideas...
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Mar 20, 23:45Post
I mean if you're trying to artificially boost views... it's working.

Checks. Not G-LARD, though it might be popular in Wigan. Also not G-NIPL.

Looks at Guernsey register. Ah. :))
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 12 Apr 20, 10:14Post
I learned a new English word today. From the Daily Incident thread, no less:

After a bit of a kerfuffle, the passenger was arrested.

That sounds like a word I am going to use a lot from now on. :))
airtrainer 12 Apr 20, 13:12Post
Zak wrote:I learned a new English word today. From the Daily Incident thread, no less:

After a bit of a kerfuffle, the passenger was arrested.

That sounds like a word I am going to use a lot from now on. :))

Yes, had to look at Google translate as well for that one. Lovely !
Grounded...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 26 May 20, 16:34Post
Someone bastardised the sleek, aerodynamic lines of the Trislander into this monstrosity:

Mark 27 May 20, 00:32Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Someone bastardised the sleek, aerodynamic lines of the Trislander into this monstrosity:

It needs a trial period with a cricket bat.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 15 Jul 20, 18:16Post
What did I learn today?

I'm going insane.

I spent 30 minutes typing up a post about an article I read about this country I live in. Proof read the whole goddamned thing. Went to click post...and got so pissed off I closed out.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Jul 20, 22:29Post
GQfluffy wrote:What did I learn today?

I'm going insane.

I spent 30 minutes typing up a post about an article I read about this country I live in. Proof read the whole goddamned thing. Went to click post...and got so pissed off I closed out.

I'm not even on FB!!!! QUICK GET TO A PSYCHOTHERAPIST!

Oh no. You went to a psycho therapist instead.
captoveur 07 Aug 20, 16:34Post
the proportions of a Manhattan are 2:1:2

Which is also the area code for Manhattan.

I was so stunned I just had to share that with someone.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
airtrainer 07 Aug 20, 17:10Post
I learned that a colleague, who joined the company just 3 years ago has almost the same wage as mine for the same position. I've been there for 16 years {redflag}
Grounded...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Aug 20, 20:23Post
Borrowing a sheep to keep your lawn well trimmed is a double-edged sword. They do a wonderful job on the grass but are also partial to nibbling on any herbs you have planted. Anyone for mutton jalfrezi?

airtrainer wrote:I learned that a colleague, who joined the company just 3 years ago has almost the same wage as mine for the same position. I've been there for 16 years {redflag}

Sucre bleu! {duck} :))
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 02 Feb 21, 10:01Post
The local bird-life hilariously misunderstands squirty-cream.

I had a can of it in the fridge for ages, it's -20C out there, and I felt sorry for the poor little blighters hammering at a block of coconut fat. So I squirted a nice pile of the stuff onto the windowsill to see what they'd do with it.

Assume it's solid and land in it, is the answer. {facepalm}

(Of course, since it's -20C, it is solid 10 minutes later, and my fun is over.)
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 02 Feb 21, 18:13Post
The sounds of a woman orgasming were coming (no pun intended) from the apartment behind me, not the one above me.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Feb 21, 02:09Post
If you can articulate an idea in such an incisive way that a high-status individual flips out in the public square, do it. While you should never try to convince an opponent in a debate (never do this, only sway the audience), meaningful change can happen by having elites publicly engage with you. You'll find that the sting of the scorn you'll receive is nothing compared to the amplification of your idea and the roots it will drive in.
Fumanchewd 11 Mar 21, 22:55Post
I learned that the difference between a 5A3307-7 and a -9 is that the -9 has updated lights and the girt bar needs to be adjusted for the slide's position on the aircraft.

Then I looked up what a girt bar is- I am really starting from scratch on some of this stuff.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 12 Mar 21, 11:06Post
Fumanchewd wrote:Then I looked up what a girt bar is- I am really starting from scratch on some of this stuff.

Have fun, there's a load of new terms that will dazzle you.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen