You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Death, In The Name Of ________

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 02 May 10, 18:24Post
Ya know, I watched a couple of movies last night and this morning, and it got me to thinking about all the reasons, justifiable or not, the lives of human being are intentionally ended "in the name of..." or "for the sake of...", etc.

I started sorting all this out in my own shrinking brain by first classifying the ways human lives are ended by the act of a human and I came up with 3 ways:

1) One human ends the life of another,
2) A human ends the life of another human, and the human's life which is ended is a third party to whatever the "root cause" of the ending of the life occurs,
3) A human ends their own life.

Taking the method outlined in #1, it's probably the most common means and cause by which human lives are intentionally ended at the hand of another. This would apply to wars and most of the reasons therefore, most murders including those committed "in the name of" the taking of money or other items of real or perceived value, and other reasons you can add to the discussion.

Method and means #2 would be something like a lover ending the life of a competitor so that they can have the sole affection of someone, a country defending another country, or a police officer ending the life of someone taking another person hostage.

When you read #3, you'll probably think first of suicide, but it also would apply to martyrdom, the selfless act of one protecting another for whatever reason, and things like that.

So now that my own outline has been laid-out, you can expand on those things and add others I haven't thought of. Think of all the people whose lives have been ended "in the name of" religion over the centuries. And those whose lives were ended needlessly because of heat-of-the-moment emotions for another person, only to have that relationship end a short time later in the same way many otherwise uncomplicated relationships end. Money comes and money goes, but lives ended in robberies and such can never be replaced. The list goes on and on.

We don't talk about death much here, but it's something everyone in their own life experiences once, but observes happening in entertainment such as TV shows and movies, in the news, and to others around them over and over again. Even Jesus was crucified at the hands of humans for the sins of others.... And the other way of seeing it is that God gave his son as a sacrifice. See, sometimes it's not quite so simple.

What are examples you can think of when the lives of human beings are ended "for the sake of" or "in the name of" something or someone?
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 02 May 10, 18:43Post
How would you categorise "collateral damage"/"civilian casualties"? #2?
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 02 May 10, 18:51Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:How would you categorise "collateral damage"/"civilian casualties"? #2?

Probably so, but I was thinking more of the intentional ending of lives.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 02 May 10, 19:11Post
Okay. I guess unintentional ending is a whole other category; it could probably be broken down in a similar way, though.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 16 Dec 20, 16:34Post
What the hell was I smoking when I wrote this?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 Dec 20, 16:48Post
What ever it was, Jack Nicholson wants some.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 16 Dec 20, 21:41Post
Queso wrote:Even Jesus was crucified at the hands of humans for the sins of others.... And the other way of seeing it is that God gave his son as a sacrifice. See, sometimes it's not quite so simple.

But God is Jesus and Jesus is God, therefore God killed Jesus, Jesus killed God, and both committed suicide.

Pass the bong... {crazy}