You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Buttigieg rocks! Nails Bret Baier.

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

Mark 06 Jan 23, 21:37Post
Bret Baier tries to give Pete Buttigieg shit about his and his husband's trip to the Invictus Games in the Netherlands in April 2022. And yes, it was shit.

The Buttigiegs traveled from Joint Base Andrews to Rotterdam in a government plane. It is customary for invited government dignitaries to bring their spouses, who are also invitees, to the games.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
DXing 07 Jan 23, 12:36Post
I saw that interview. What's not in the clip is his total deflection on answering whether or not he would reimburse the government for his partner's travel. Not too long ago another Secretary had to resign over similar circumstances and reimburse the government for expensive travel.

The outlet also reported this week that he took military aircraft for official trips to Africa, Europe and Asia, costing taxpayers more than $500,000.

Price said Thursday that he would reimburse the government for a portion of the costly charter flights he used to travel to various engagements at taxpayer expense.

Senior department sources told Fox News that the total amount of money Price will repay is $51,887.31, though that represents a fraction of the total cost.

HHS SECRETARY PRICE TO REPAY NEARLY $52G FOR CHARTER FLIGHTS

Speaking to Fox News' "Special Report with Bret Baier," Price described the repayment as "unprecedented."

"[It's] never been done, to our understanding, before by a secretary, in spite of the fact that previous administrations have had secretaries that flew an awful lot," Price said.

Price vowed in a statement, before his resignation, that "I will take no more private charter flights as Secretary of HHS. No exceptions."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hhs-secretary-tom-price-resigns-over-private-plane-trips

He claimed he flies in coach on commercial airlines more often than not but gave no examples. He's got to be one of the most mealy mouth Secretaries in recent history. Always somebody else's fault.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Mark 08 Jan 23, 13:51Post
DXing wrote:I saw that interview. What's not in the clip is his total deflection on answering whether or not he would reimburse the government for his partner's travel. Not too long ago another Secretary had to resign over similar circumstances and reimburse the government for expensive travel.

Did Secretary of the Army Mark Esper pay for his wife to attend in 2017?

Regarding HHS Secretary Tom Price's racking up at least $400,000 in travel bills for chartered flights, I don't see any comparison of that to Buttigieg's use of an FAA aircraft to transport himself, his husband, and the other delegates to the Invictus Games to the Netherlands.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
DXing 09 Jan 23, 02:54Post
Mark wrote:Did Secretary of the Army Mark Esper pay for his wife to attend in 2017?

Regarding HHS Secretary Tom Price's racking up at least $400,000 in travel bills for chartered flights, I don't see any comparison of that to Buttigieg's use of an FAA aircraft to transport himself, his husband, and the other delegates to the Invictus Games to the Netherlands.

Don't know and I can't find any record if he did or not. That being said, the Solicitor General did for Trump Interior Secretary Zinke....

The Department of the Interior's office of the Solicitor’s Division of General Law determined that Zinke was allowed to violate department policy so that he could take his wife, Lola, and other individuals on flights intended for official government business. Zinke later reimbursed the government for his wife’s $15,000 trip.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/how-the-president-cabinet-officials-congress-and-first-family-fly/

Buttigieg is the government official. His partner is not. His whole answer was a deflection and what aboutism to avoid answering the question. As hard as officials try and distance themselves from the Trump Administrations policies, evidently Secretary Buttigieg feels this (bringing the partner with you for a free vacation) was one worth keeping. But what would you expect from the "most transparent and accountable administration in the history of our Country? {laugh} {laugh}
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jan 23, 13:23Post
Pete has to reimburse the DoT. Simple as that. Unless you are condoning paying for partner travel. Where will it stop?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Mark 09 Jan 23, 18:19Post
miamiair wrote:Pete has to reimburse the DoT. Simple as that. Unless you are condoning paying for partner travel. Where will it stop?

If his husband was named a member of the delegation, then, no. Otherwise, yes.
captoveur 10 Jan 23, 15:25Post
Glad to see one of the worst Secretaries of Transportation ever own someone on a TV show :|
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 10 Jan 23, 15:52Post
I think both of them should reimburse the government. Invited or not, attending the Invictus Games is not relevant to the job of Secretary of Transportation.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Jan 23, 16:54Post
Anyone who supports the predatory extractor class proves themselves easily fooled.

And for the easily fooled, this is a class, not a political affiliation.
DXing 11 Jan 23, 15:30Post
Mark wrote:
miamiair wrote:Pete has to reimburse the DoT. Simple as that. Unless you are condoning paying for partner travel. Where will it stop?

If his husband was named a member of the delegation, then, no. Otherwise, yes.

Then "Yes". Again, his answer to Baier was just obfuscation and deflection.

President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. today announced the designation of a Presidential Delegation to The Netherlands to attend the Fifth Invictus Games on April 16, 2022 in The Hague.

The Honorable Pete Buttigieg, Secretary of Transportation, will lead the delegation.

Members of the Presidential Delegation:

Ms. Marja Verloop, Charge d’ Affaires a.i., U.S. Embassy The Hague

The Honorable Tammy Duckworth, United States Senator (D-IL)

The Honorable Donald M. Remy, Deputy Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs

The Honorable Gina Ortiz Jones, Under Secretary of the Air Force

The Honorable Rory M. Brosius, Special Assistant to the President and Executive Director of Joining Forces ###

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/04/13/president-biden-announces-presidential-delegation-to-the-netherlands-to-attend-the-fifth-invictus-games/

I get that in the past partners/spouses were taken along. Still doesn't make it right, and at 30+ TRILLION in the hole, somethings gotta change. Might as well start with stupid stuff like this.

Owning isn't what you are doing if you cannot legitimately defend the expense and have to resort to "Well everyone else is doing it!!"
Mark 11 Jan 23, 18:17Post
DXing wrote:Owning isn't what you are doing if you cannot legitimately defend the expense and have to resort to "Well everyone else is doing it!!"

I wasn't saying it was OK for Pete to bring his husband free of charge. What I was commenting on was the fact that Baier, for some reason, A) Brought up something that happened 8 months or so earlier, and, B) May have been bringing it up to make a dig at the same-sex marriage thing, because, you know, Fox News.
DXing 11 Jan 23, 20:03Post
That incident happened 8 months earlier, but Baier was listing it as one of several incidents where Secretary Buttigieg has used government aircraft when cheaper options were available. The youtuber cut out the questions just prior to that one. Questions that the Secretary obfuscated on.

According to the New York Post, Buttigieg has flown nearly 20 times on private jets funded by taxpayer dollars as transportation secretary.

Similar instances of private travel on the part of government officials has resulted in resignations. Tom Price, then-secretary of health and human services (HHS) under Donald Trump was forced to resign after racking up hundreds of thousands of dollars in inappropriate travel.

Buttigieg’s predecessor, Elaine Chao, was harshly criticized after using government planes seven times for costing tax payers $94,000.

https://news.yahoo.com/buttigieg-used-taxpayer-money-flying-213409296.html

Mark wrote: B) May have been bringing it up to make a dig at the same-sex marriage thing, because, you know, Fox News.

Guy Benson, Tammy Bruce, Amy Walter, all current Fox News contributors that are openly gay. There are, and have been more, like Sheppard Smith. So yeah, that reason just suffered a flame out.

Secretary Buttigieg is just another in a long line of the "Rules for Thee, but not for me" DNC crowd. According to folks who lived in South Bend during his Mayoral tenure, he had trouble getting the potholes filled in a timely manner. As I said above, for him, just like the President, it's always somebody elses fault.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 12 Jan 23, 07:11Post
Buttplug rocks alright. FAA NOTAM system went tits up. But you keep tooting his horn.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
captoveur 12 Jan 23, 15:59Post
So it sounds like this issue coincided with NOTAMS changing from Notice to Air Men to Notice To Air Missions.

I am wondering DOTs Dennis Nedry borked up some file changing the naming....

Or if all the angry people on the internet never read them before they went down.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.