You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Top Gun: Maverick

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

DXing 29 May 22, 23:37Post
Went to see the movie today. Saw it in ScreenX, which is the 270 degree screen. First thoughts, about what I expected. Good flying sequences. Some story lines were about what I though they would be, others, not a peep. Did I say good flying sequences? Go see it? I would say yes. Not necessarily for the story itself but for the flying scenes. Much better movie making than in 1986.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 May 22, 23:41Post
We are going to try and see it this weekend. (I've been avoiding spoilers!)
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 01 Jun 22, 22:55Post
I watch it when it hits Paramount+. That way, if I fall asleep through it (very likely), I can just watch it again at no cost.
Make Orwell fiction again.
captoveur 06 Jun 22, 16:19Post
I remember the first time I saw the EXACT PLOT FROM THE END OF STAR WARS and didn't almost fall asleep and check my watch 10 times in the middle.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
DXing 07 Jun 22, 13:31Post
And now that it is a proven financial success, the bottom feeders come out looking for theirs....

Paramount Pictures Corp. was accused in a lawsuit of releasing its blockbuster “Top Gun: Maverick” without securing a license from the estate of the writer whose story inspired the original film about four decades ago.

The author’s heirs claim the studio has been on notice since 2018 that its copyrights to the “Top Gun” franchise were terminated -- and that it went ahead to release the sequel last month without permission.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-06/paramount-sued-for-releasing-top-gun-maverick-without-license

If the movie had been a financial flop....any doubt they would have looked the other way?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Jun 22, 16:17Post
Wife and I loved it. One of the few movies these days that wasn't full of neo-Bertrand Russell messaging:

"Man: his hopes and fears, his loves and his beliefs, are but the outcome of accidental collocations of atoms; no fire, no heroism, no intensity of thought and feeling, can preserve an individual life beyond the grave…only on the firm foundation of unyielding despair, can the soul’s habitation henceforth be safely built."

There was SO much that was silly about it, but we found it funny rather than upsetting. Wife wants to see it again.

It's a feel-good movie. Downside: reminds me of an America that no-longer exists.

Also, dadgum, I was shocked that it was Tom Cruise's best opening weekend by a country mile. $124 million! I thought that one of the MI movies would have been that.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 09 Jun 22, 09:53Post
Lucas wrote:Wife and I loved it. One of the few movies these days that wasn't full of neo-Bertrand Russell messaging:

"Man: his hopes and fears, his loves and his beliefs, are but the outcome of accidental collocations of atoms; no fire, no heroism, no intensity of thought and feeling, can preserve an individual life beyond the grave…only on the firm foundation of unyielding despair, can the soul’s habitation henceforth be safely built."

There was SO much that was silly about it, but we found it funny rather than upsetting. Wife wants to see it again.

It's a feel-good movie. Downside: reminds me of an America that no-longer exists.

Also, dadgum, I was shocked that it was Tom Cruise's best opening weekend by a country mile. $124 million! I thought that one of the MI movies would have been that.

Have not seen it yet. Like Shy, I'm waiting, Paramount + will have it and I will - WILL - fall asleep. For same reason, I'll watch it there. Plus movies theaters bug the crap outta me: LOUD, annoying people, over-priced, kids, dirty restrooms, et al.

As for the MI movies, I saw the first one. The rest didn't interest me. Once you've seen one helo spinning through a tunnel, you've seen them all.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jun 22, 10:25Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Plus movies theaters bug the crap outta me: LOUD, annoying people, over-priced, kids, dirty restrooms, et al.

I saw the movie last week, and even in a half-empty Wednesday-afternoon showing, there were far too many annoying humans. The pr!ck in front was on his phone at one point, he got hissed at. (I thought about "Son, your ego is writing cheques your body can't cash" but figured it would be wasted on him.)

I also found out that you can rent the whole cinema for up to 10 people for 230€. Humans annoy me enough and I'd been looking forward to this enough that, had I known, I would've done exactly that - minus the 9 others.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 09 Jun 22, 21:42Post
ANCFlyer wrote:
Lucas wrote:Wife and I loved it. One of the few movies these days that wasn't full of neo-Bertrand Russell messaging:

Have not seen it yet. Like Shy, I'm waiting, Paramount + will have it and I will - WILL - fall asleep. For same reason, I'll watch it there. Plus movies theaters bug the crap outta me: LOUD, annoying people, over-priced, kids, dirty restrooms, et al.

As for the MI movies, I saw the first one. The rest didn't interest me. Once you've seen one helo spinning through a tunnel, you've seen them all.

We are pretty lucky here in WY. I can often get an ARC screen with just me and the family, or with maybe a few other people. Not sure how the economics possibly work out for them, but I like the experience so we buy the chicken strip baskets and crap to help them get by.

I hated MIs...whatever until Ghost Protocol.
Fumanchewd 18 Jun 22, 08:28Post
Still haven't seen it...

I've been watching my kids almost all the time and they are only 6 and 7. We are babying them and avoiding swearing and violence at this point, so it may have to wait before I have a chance to sneak out of work early one day when my wife doesn't work at the hospital.

Some younger guys in their 20's at my work were telling me the first TG sucked... I was trying to explain to them that it was the first REAL aviation combat movie. Sure, they used some training aircraft pretending they were migs, and there were some errors, etc... but before TG1, it was John Wayne flying with some fake prop noise and a screen behind him. TG was the first movie to use real and believable aviation combat footage.

Anyone also remember the spinoffs after, such as Iron Eagle with the Karate Kid? Lol, what horrible movies, but I was such an aviation buff, I watched them all and was happy.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 18 Jun 22, 12:26Post
Lucas wrote:We are pretty lucky here in WY. I can often get an ARC screen with just me and the family, or with maybe a few other people.

The more I hear about your part of the world, the more I like it.

Fumanchewd wrote:Anyone also remember the spinoffs after, such as Iron Eagle with the Karate Kid? Lol, what horrible movies, but I was such an aviation buff, I watched them all and was happy.

Man, those were dreadful. But 15-year-old me lapped them up.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 18 Jun 22, 13:24Post
Fumanchewd wrote:but before TG1, it was John Wayne flying with some fake prop noise and a screen behind him. TG was the first movie to use real and believable aviation combat footage.

??????? Say whaaaat????? Final Countdown my friend...F14 Tomcats vs Mitsubishi A6M Zero's....classic gun & missile kills!!! LOL

Fumanchewd 19 Jun 22, 05:41Post
DXing wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote:but before TG1, it was John Wayne flying with some fake prop noise and a screen behind him. TG was the first movie to use real and believable aviation combat footage.

??????? Say whaaaat????? Final Countdown my friend...F14 Tomcats vs Mitsubishi A6M Zero's....classic gun & missile kills!!! LOL

LOL, I like how he was hit by those 7.7mm Zero maching guns, from an aircraft probably going 300+ miles an hour and he just kind of fell down with a little blood spot. Errrr, and there is the little matter of the time traveling aircraft carrier.
{laugh} {laugh} {thumbsup}
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 20 Jun 22, 16:44Post
Fumanchewd wrote:...the first TG sucked... I was trying to explain to them that it was the first REAL aviation combat movie.

I'll take exception to that one.

Twelve O'clock High

I am aging myself, but that had real combat footage. Real Bf-109s instead of the Spanish copies used in the Battle of Britain. Good movie, but Top Gun had the whiz bang factor, even if there were inconsistencies that were hard to accept.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
DXing 20 Jun 22, 18:53Post
I think what FU is talking about is the cockpit scenes and even in twelve o'clock high the cockpit scenes were sound stage mockups. The scenes involving getting in and out of the airplanes were real, filmed just down the road from the Florida Ranger camp at Aux Field 7 on Eglin AFB. The aerial scenes were from combat cameramen on real missions, but you never see the actors in any of those shots.

TG1 in 1986 featured the same thing. The shots of the actors in the cockpit were all sound stage mockups. They shook back and forth to give the actors heads the bobbing motion which I always chuckle at. There's some stills in the video at around the 3:30-4:00 minute mark.

What I liked about the final countdown footage was that it was filmed in the cockpit and featured realistic action. For example, in TG 1 they never referenced the E2 Hawkeye that would have certainly been up and patrolling if they were anywhere close to a hostile country. Final Countdown not only referenced it but showed it in action. Additionally, it showed just how generic the modern navy has become. In this video you see an old carrier aviation group. Tomcats, A-7 Corsair, E2 Hawkey, S-3 Viking, and A6 Intruders.

Just the little details but both movies exaggerated things. In the video the last bit is of an F14 coming up from the hangar deck with every conceivable armament that you could hang on the plane lined up around it. In TG1 they showed them flying between the mountains in a supposed dogfight, for safety reasons that would never happen. In TG2 the placement of the target was ridiculous as was the shot to destroy the target. As referenced earlier, you would need a heaping dose of the force to eyeball that one into the target.

All 3 were entertaining movies. The plots all had some holes in them but I go to be entertained and I was.
captoveur 22 Jun 22, 17:41Post
A bunch of people talking about first time using real in-cockpit footage need to go find the French movie called Sky Fighters. It's really only worth seeing for all the flying- just like Top Gun.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 06 Sep 22, 21:51Post
I have now watched "Top Gun: Maverick."

It's still not available for streaming on Paramount+, but it was available for purchase on Prime Video for $20.00.

The Good:
The cinematography exceeded my expectations. It was also hard to believe that the F-14 wasn't real, even though I knew it wasn’t. Miles Teller really looked as if he was Goose's son. I did not fall asleep during the movie as expected.

The Bad:
The story did not meet my expectations. It felt thin. The "Dark Star" sequence at the beginning of the film could've/should've been scrapped. It was cool to watch, but added very little to the story. The song by Lady Gaga at the end of the film made me nauseous.

Overall:
I give this movie a C+. I do not regret spending the $20 bucks, but I would have been better served by waiting until it was on Paramount+.
Make Orwell fiction again.
bhmbaglock 07 Sep 22, 15:01Post
miamiair wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote:...the first TG sucked... I was trying to explain to them that it was the first REAL aviation combat movie.

I'll take exception to that one.

Twelve O'clock High

I am aging myself, but that had real combat footage. Real Bf-109s instead of the Spanish copies used in the Battle of Britain. Good movie, but Top Gun had the whiz bang factor, even if there were inconsistencies that were hard to accept.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is another earlier example. True that they didn't have actual Japanese aircraft but they did a pretty impressive job of modifying others for the part. Definitely not your average splice job of old gun camera footage.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Sep 22, 14:58Post
Finally saw this - yesterday - on AA 3621 from DFW-GNV. Not too bad at all. I liked the flashbacks to the first movie. I'll watch it again on something other than my tablet at FL330 though.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!