You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Cost Of Infrastructure For The Olympics

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

DXing 06 Feb 22, 17:18Post
I've always thought that a lot of money gets wasted on sports venues. After reading this article, if my hometown were ever to suggest being a host to the Olympics, I'd be a vociferous opponent. Just seems like a huge waste of money for 2 weeks public notice.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter-olympics/abandoned-olympics-venues-left-to-rot/ss-AATvZvF
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 07 Feb 22, 13:06Post
Read up on the abysmal conditions the athletes are forced to endure. Olympics don't do well when the it is held in communist countries.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
halls120 (Plank Owner) 07 Feb 22, 13:17Post
I stopped watching and caring about the Olympics a long time ago - around the time they let professionals in, performance enhancing drugs were ignored and the IOC practice of taking bribes for winning bids became flagrant.

There is no way I'd ever want my tax dollars devoted to the bloated infrastructure that the IOC demands but won't pay for.
At home in the PNW and loving it
DXing 10 Feb 22, 02:04Post
halls120 wrote:I stopped watching and caring about the Olympics a long time ago - around the time they let professionals in, performance enhancing drugs were ignored and the IOC practice of taking bribes for winning bids became flagrant.

{check}

miamiair wrote:Read up on the abysmal conditions the athletes are forced to endure. Olympics don't do well when the it is held in communist countries.

I think that says more about the pampering that the athletes get than anything else. Part of what drives up the cost of hosting the Olympics. They have to have a "village"? Screw that. When I was low crawling through the worm pit at Ranger School I didn't get a village, I got an RI screaming in my ear. That same RI was there at the mess hall where the chairs and tables were never used, telling me if I could taste it, I was taking too long! Considering the first Olympics, hundreds of years BC, were held in the nude and always in the same spot, that there were just two gyms to practice in, it might be worth it to return to the basics. Forget the hi tech and medical stuff. Lets see what you're really made of!
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?