You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Well... An unusual trip to the dentist

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

Mark 25 Oct 21, 12:39Post
I went to the dentist on Friday. They stood me up in one of those panoramic x-ray machines to get a 180° picture of my mouth. That was the time for me to experience the first vasovagal syncope of my life. I passed out cold and dropped straight to the floor. I whacked the side wall of the x-ray alcove on the way down. Thankfully, I didn't hit my head, but I did whack my left shoulder pretty good.

I fractured the end of my left clavicle (collar bone) and sustained a significant soft tissue injury to my shoulder. There is no way to secure it, so I'm dealing with it old school... guarding it manually. Let's just say sleeping and getting dressed is not easy. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are handling the pain.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
bhmbaglock 25 Oct 21, 13:48Post
Surprised you didn't rip an ear or two in half with those torture tips they stuff if there during these.

It never made sense to me that these X ray machines aren't designed with a height adjustable chair. Most people would have an easier time staying still that way.

Sorry you got hurt, hope you recover quickly.
Mark 26 Oct 21, 15:55Post
Today, the swelling has come down enough to reveal that I also have a shoulder separation. No big deal. Nothing the doctors can do about it. It just has to heal on its own, but it accounts for some of the pain and bruising. Below is a pic from yesterday... it's difficult to get a good pic of the entire affected area in the mirror. Today, there is a nice yellowing extending about six inches (15 cm) in all directions of the bruise. It goes well onto my neck and chest.

I just can't imagine the amount of energy it took to cause so much damage simply going from standing to the floor. It must have been a dead drop... no gentle easing of my 230 pound (104 kg) body to the floor.

My physician assistant friend of 40 years was concerned it may have been a cardiac event due to Brugada Syndrome, not a vasovagal thing. After a little online discussion, he was fairly certain it wasn't a cardiac event.

Damn... am I sore. But, I'm determined to rehab myself. I don't believe everyone needs to go to physical therapy at the hospital. I've rehabbed the same shoulder before. I can do it again.

Just to note. This is the same shoulder that is full of bursitis, arthritis, and other permanent damage from lifting ambulance cots and heavy patients for 37 years as a paramedic and nurse. I'm on Social Security disability because of it. It was a fragile shoulder before all this happened. I just pray I can get it back to pre-fall condition.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
DXing 28 Oct 21, 00:21Post
Mark wrote:I just can't imagine the amount of energy it took to cause so much damage simply going from standing to the floor.

LOL...It's called "getting older"!! {laugh}

Mark wrote:Damn... am I sore. But, I'm determined to rehab myself. I don't believe everyone needs to go to physical therapy at the hospital.

I am of the same persuasion. Glad to hear you're on the mend and that nothing was permanently damaged, including your ego. Tom Brady ain't got nothin on you!! ;)
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?