You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Hurricane Laura Coverage...Differences

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

DXing 27 Aug 20, 11:32Post
Interesting to note the differences in protective gear for Weather Channel reporters during hurricane Laura coverage. Same area, I believe it is the Golden Nugget hotel in Lake Charles, but in the first shot Jim Cantore gets a kevlar helmet, flak jacket, and safety glasses for his shots out in the parking lot.

Meanwhile, Stephanie Abrams gets a baseball cap to protect herself from glass and tree limbs raining down on her from above as she reports on the steps outside the hotel.

Both reporters reaffirmed the stupidity of trying to stand out in hurricane force winds and do anything, other than try and remain standing in one spot. I wonder if the choice in protective gear was personnel, or decided by someone at TWC? Whose contract is worth more? {laugh} {laugh}
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 27 Aug 20, 14:51Post
I was watching that live.

Only thing I can say about Stephanie is she's been with TWC for something like 15 or 20 years now.

Of course...Cantore has been there longer. ;)

That said...I shut it off not long after this...but from the few pictures I saw this morning Lake Charles (and all areas between there and the coast) took a hell of a beating.

I messaged Tom last night; he didn't seem terribly concerned. I think MSY escaped most everything Laura had.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
DXing 27 Aug 20, 16:22Post
My daughter and friends in Houston said no rain or wind at all.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Mark 27 Aug 20, 23:05Post
I cannot understand the purpose of showing weather people in hurricane. Yeah, it's raining and windy. Duh. But, it IS the Weather Channel... the same idiots who give routine winter storms names. I haven't watched the Weather Channel in nearly 20 years. Are they still trying to scare the shit out of viewers on a daily basis?
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
DXing 28 Aug 20, 02:34Post
Seems they have an slogan for just about everything. Turn around don't drown, etc., you think they would have one for standing out in hurricane strength winds.