You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

The State of the [Your Job] Address—2020

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

captoveur 07 Aug 20, 16:31Post
So I work in IT for a hospital. I do front end build and workflow training on the electronic medical record. I work with doctors, I build them exactly what they want, implement it, train them how to use it, then they bitch about it, and never use it. Then we repeat the process 6 months later. It's a great cycle.

I went into IT because it was the job I could get when I finished college, and it got me out of being a cop. It also paid way better.

I have finally come to realize i really hate IT, I don't want to do it anymore. I have worked for amazing companies, done amazing things. Every job I have ever had in life is living a dream- just not my dream.

No flippin' clue where I am going from here, but this ain't it.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 08 Aug 20, 03:08Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Concerning me is that while the job posting makes it clear that the job is part-time (29hrs/wk) and without benefits, the pay range it quotes seems "too good to be true" for a part-time job. I've scoured the posting frontwards and backwards to find the caveat, but have come up empty handed. I've sent an email to their HR rep to gain clarification.

Clarification received and it's what I expected. For a job that is part-time, they chose to list a yearly pay rate based upon full time hours.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Aug 20, 13:17Post
captoveur wrote:So I work in IT for a hospital. I do front end build and workflow training on the electronic medical record. I work with doctors, I build them exactly what they want, implement it, train them how to use it, then they bitch about it, and never use it. Then we repeat the process 6 months later. It's a great cycle.

I went into IT because it was the job I could get when I finished college, and it got me out of being a cop. It also paid way better.

I have finally come to realize i really hate IT, I don't want to do it anymore. I have worked for amazing companies, done amazing things. Every job I have ever had in life is living a dream- just not my dream.

No flippin' clue where I am going from here, but this ain't it.

I feel you! Sorry to hear that it is kind of sucking.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 09 Aug 20, 21:51Post
GQfluffy wrote:
JLAmber wrote:...almost certainly involving a lengthy stay at a place that make things that float and only very rarely fly.

Moving to Belfast? :))

{laugh} I did look at a position in Belfast before all of this but that's another up in the air situation, if you'll pardon the pun. This is half way between here and there - subject to arrangements to keep my ailing father comfortable, I will be IOM based with trips to the South of France and Grenada (when possible). Turns out that while all the flying contraptions were grounded the floating contraptions were busier than ever. Thankfully it's not difficult to apply the skills from one to the other, so many of us who've reluctantly spent far too long worrying about weight constraints will now be far less concerned about all of that nonsense.
A million great ideas...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 10 Aug 20, 17:11Post
JLAmber wrote:...who've reluctantly spent far too long worrying about weight constraints will now be far less concerned about all of that nonsense.

J. Hutchinson is that you?
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 10 Aug 20, 17:29Post
It was only a matter of time. That time has now arrived. I've been "potentially exposed" to COVID-19. A coworker recently tested positive. This isn't the first employee with the agency to test positive, but it is the first that resulted in your's truly getting a phone call, at home, from a Lieutenant, advising me of such an exposure.

No quarantine or testing orders have been issued as of yet, just increased self-monitoring.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Fumanchewd 19 Aug 20, 01:37Post
All of my accounts are domestic, but they have let me keep two airline accounts in Japan, despite us having a small Asia office in Malaysia. I've spent alot of time on these two accounts, I usually even answer email and assist them until midnight if I am able, then I am back on to help them out at 0800 local time again. So despite the time differences I have been able to have some success with one of them. The account is typically a 500k annual account, I took it over in November of 2019. In January of this year I had a 100k+ month and I was pretty close to 100K plus month in February as well, then Covid hit. I had nothing for a few months, a little last month, and I am on track to hit over 100k with them this month as well. If it weren't for Covid, I would have doubled the annual revenue from them to over 1 million. As it is the Malaysia office isn't happy that I have it, but its mine for now.

It seems to me, Asian airlines have been really gaining momentum bouncing back form Covid in the last month or so.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Fumanchewd 08 Nov 20, 03:57Post
We just let another 25 people go. I started last September 2019 and we were up to 130 something employees in January 2020. We are now down below 75. They let another in my position go on Monday, now there are two of us, the latin American accounts guy, the MRO accounts guy, and the C&E chick. We had about 12 total account managers at the beginning of the year. We have also closed our KUL office and canned some staff in our European offices. I am really lucky things clicked and the timing of how everything happened- I am lucky to still have this job but I am putting up the numbers now.

Busy and long days, but I had a great month last month...... the company overall is not safe though.

Interestingly enough, we have been tearing down 737NG's like crazy (three last month), we are taking on a 321 this week, and we are in the final stages of trying to win two very large fleet retirement teardown contracts...

I don't know the nuts and bolts of how we win these fleet ones, but I believe we don't pay anything to the airlines up front, but rather a percentage from each part sold, therefore the only up front costs are the teardown and shipping costs.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."