You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Prince Harry Quits? What The Heck?

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 10 Jan 20, 12:26Post
There are plenty of news sources on the issue, it appears the Duke and Duchess of Sussex decided quit the royal family and liver their own lives (or something like that). Can some of our British members shed some light on what the big hubub is? Is the Queen really "that" pissed? She hasn't been "that" pissed since Diana split from Charles.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 10 Jan 20, 21:11Post
I'm not really up on the story aside from what I saw when it was breaking - but from what I've seen since, phrases like 'believed to', 'thought to be' and 'reportedly' are doing a lot of heavy lifting from correspondents who'd have us believe they are confidantes of Her Majesty.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Fumanchewd 13 Jan 20, 21:12Post
He wants to capitalize on the fame and glory that the Royal Family gave him while not having to give up the money he makes from it.

I.E. he hit up the Disney CEO for Meghan to do voiceovers while at the Golden Globes. Disney quickly obliged.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pri ... 34609.html

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
DXing 14 Jan 20, 19:22Post
She evidently has some hold on him. Not only are they giving up their Royal duties, they plan to spend at least, if not more, than equal time living in Canada. Some have suggested that she did not feel particularly welcome in the Royal household nor was she comfortable with the rules and restrictions that went along with being a Royal. Piers Morgan wrote a scathing article about their decision and how they went about announcing it. Not much of a fan of his but he did have some good points.

Last summer at Wimbledon she was turned away from the Royal box because she was wearing jeans. I think in this day and age that's a bit much but tradition is tradition to some and her staff should have told her it was a no no. At the same event a fan was going to take a picture of her and her security service shooed him away. Not sure if it was the security that decided that or her but the magnanimous thing to do would have been to welcome a true fan, not a professional paparazzi, to take the photo and move on. At times she could be her own worst press agent.

It will be interesting to see if they are allowed to keep their titles if they are going to shift to low gear in performing Royal duties. Can Harry's even be taken away? He is in the direct line of succession, albeit a ways down the line, so I would think his title would be mostly secure?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jan 20, 22:04Post
Interesting to see how many with little or no knowledge of a subject take the Daily Mail's "reporting" as gospel. I can't imagine why.

Harry watched his mother hounded until the moment she died by a merciless gutter press who seek only to extol the virtues of their billionaire owners while vilifying anyone who speaks out for fairness and equality, as Diana did. The stark similarities between the way his mother and his new wife have been treated by the press clearly concerns him. You have to remember that Harry is no mug - he's seen the very worst of British society and managed two full tours of Afghanistan, one in complete secrecy under an alias, flying Apaches.

There's also the elephant in the mixed-race room...
A million great ideas...
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 15 Jan 20, 10:58Post
JLAmber wrote:Interesting to see how many with little or no knowledge of a subject take the Daily Mail's "reporting" as gospel. I can't imagine why.

What are the more reputable outlets in the UK? The Independent seems best often to me. I'll read a bit of The Guardian and a smattering of others (Telegraph, etc.).
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Jan 20, 13:10Post
Allstarflyer wrote:What are the more reputable outlets in the UK? The Independent seems best often to me.

The Independent tends to be balanced and factual. The Guardian and Telegraph are pretty much the same thing only the Guardian tends to put a slight liberal slant on things and the Telegraph a similar amount of conservative viewpoint. The BBC are usually reliable so long as you avoid politics as they're pretty much forbidden from carrying negative stories about the UK government under threat of being defunded. The Economist is a decent read but, alongside the Times, is now subscription for online viewing.

The Daily Mail, The Sun, The Star and the Daily Sport are not considered legitimate news sources. Publicly admitting to being a Daily Mail reader is pretty much social suicide in the UK.
A million great ideas...
Fumanchewd 19 Jan 20, 23:50Post
JLAmber wrote:Interesting to see how many with little or no knowledge of a subject take the Daily Mail's "reporting" as gospel. I can't imagine why.

Harry watched his mother hounded until the moment she died by a merciless gutter press who seek only to extol the virtues of their billionaire owners while vilifying anyone who speaks out for fairness and equality, as Diana did. The stark similarities between the way his mother and his new wife have been treated by the press clearly concerns him. You have to remember that Harry is no mug - he's seen the very worst of British society and managed two full tours of Afghanistan, one in complete secrecy under an alias, flying Apaches.

There's also the elephant in the mixed-race room...

He has no legitimate ground to stand on when he states that he is running from the negative aspects of fame only to seek it out immediately using his name and royal family name to make money.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Jan 20, 02:02Post
Kate Middleton is the hot one. So.
DXing 22 Jan 20, 18:54Post
Fumanchewd wrote:Harry watched his mother hounded until the moment she died by a merciless gutter press who seek only to extol the virtues of their billionaire owners while vilifying anyone who speaks out for fairness and equality, as Diana did.

He has no legitimate ground to stand on when he states that he is running from the negative aspects of fame only to seek it out immediately using his name and royal family name to make money.

To some degree I agree with the first sentence but then again, I think Diana used the press to her advantage to get the public sentiment that she wanted at any given particular time (wronged wife, divorce, recovering single). Were the press to blame for her death? Maybe in part, but a drunk driver speeding down a tunnel certainly didn't help.

And here we go, the couple is now threatening to sue English papers that use pictures taken in North America without their consent. I know they can sue, but do they have a case? How is the law written in the UK?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prince-harry-meghan-markles-lawyers-171720930.html

I would think that by giving up their titles they also gave up a great amount of protection afforded them from paparazzi.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
airtrainer 24 Jan 20, 12:04Post
His life, his choice. End of the story. {twocents}
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 24 Jan 20, 17:11Post
DXing wrote:
I would think that by giving up their titles they also gave up a great amount of protection afforded them from paparazzi.

Yeah, wonder how they're going to balance their desire for privacy with their public engagements. I hope they can be happy.

On the side, I just think of William shaking his head in unbelief about all this.

airtrainer wrote:His life, his choice. End of the story. {twocents}

Yep, this.