You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

NYC over Christmas

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 18 Nov 19, 01:33Post
We've been debating this for quite a while (did last year, too...decided not to). Wife would love to go; I've never been. She lived there for 3 summers working at the 92Y camp.

Other than it costs a pretty penny to get there, stay and eat/libations...

Has anyone done this?

What are you opinions either way?
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Nov 19, 11:47Post
NYC?

Nope, place is a shit hole. Did my round there in 1999, and won't go back. Dirty, filthy place. Sorta like San Fran only east.

Not my style.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 18 Nov 19, 23:13Post
Greatest city in the US, as far as I am concerned. But going there in winter? Especially this one, said to be a tough one. -40, tons of snow and stuff.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
vikkyvik 18 Nov 19, 23:47Post
Very cool city.

Quite literally, in the winter.

But definitely somewhere you should go.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 19 Nov 19, 15:09Post
I live in Montana; snow and cold isn't a problem.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 19 Nov 19, 18:55Post
I think regardless of how you feel about NYC, it's one of those things that ya gotta do at some point.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 19 Nov 19, 20:58Post
GQfluffy wrote:I live in Montana; snow and cold isn't a problem.

Probably not in Montana, where everybody knows how to deal with it. ;)
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
vikkyvik 19 Nov 19, 22:57Post
GQfluffy wrote:I live in Montana

That's not a real place.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 21 Nov 19, 15:50Post
That's what all the people south of the Wall say.

GOT reference...hopefully obvious
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 26 Nov 19, 00:35Post
GQfluffy wrote:We've been debating this for quite a while (did last year, too...decided not to). Wife would love to go; I've never been. She lived there for 3 summers working at the 92Y camp.

Other than it costs a pretty penny to get there, stay and eat/libations...

Has anyone done this?

What are you opinions either way?

I did this with my GF last year. Aside from the bitter cold which several have already pointed out, it's definitely it's own world. Look in the right places you can find some of the best food in America. There are some fantastic museums. Speakeasies, if that's your thing, hark back to early NYC, and the various tourist accouterments that dress the city seem to shine a little brighter under an NYC winter. It's a city that you can make in to your own no matter what, and if you only go once, go.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein