You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Union Pacific Big Boy came for a visit today

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

Mark 23 Jul 19, 20:59Post
Union Pacific's newly restored Big Boy locomotive #4014 is touring all of the Union Pacific's trackage this summer. It came for a visit to a town 20 miles from me this morning. Forty-five minutes late, but the 3500 people waiting were more than happy to wait. During the restoration, it was converted from coal to #5 bunker oil as its fuel source.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jul 19, 21:28Post
That is a big sum-bitch . . . . spectacular.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 24 Jul 19, 12:39Post
I hope you're right about it making all of UP's tracks, I'm just a few miles from a UP main line so I'll have to watch for it.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 24 Jul 19, 14:25Post
I love the racket a pair of Trents or GE90s makes.

I love watching a fully-laden A380 hauling its fat ass skyward, or a fully-laden A343 thinking about it (except Air Jamaica's, that was just terrifying).

I miss Concorde shaking the ground.

But nothing - nothing - beats the sound of a proper steam locomotive.

Whether it's an express screaming through the night or a monster like this protesting at being asked to get a freight train moving, or even just sat still ticking and hissing to themselves, they're the closest anything we've made from metal will ever come to living, breathing, having a soul. Love them. Absolutely love them.

ANCFlyer wrote:That is a big sum-bitch . . . . spectacular.

According to Wikipedia, over 1.1 million colony-kilos including tender, with a top speed of 80mph, neither of which I knew until now. Always imagined (and certainly have always seen) them as packed with grunt but never imagined them to be capable of such speeds. That must be quite something to behold at full pelt. {bugeye}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jul 19, 10:05Post
Last Steamer I saw personally was last summer, on an excursion . . . saw it in the morning - stopped in Fox Lake but was otherwise engaged. Google told me it would coming back through from Wisconsin about 4pm. I have video somewhere. Regardless . . . it came boiling through at speed with 20 coaches attached. . . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Plate_Road_765

I've also see it at the Ft. Wayne location . . . MRSANC and I get down there to visit a zoo and family couple times a year.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!