You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

NASA/Canaveral/Cocoa Beach Questions

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 13 Jan 19, 23:26Post
All,

For those members (everyone I suppose) who have been to this area or live nearby...

Would it be worth extending a vacation we're taking in November a few days and spending some time out there?

Long story short Britt and I have been going through several years of...medical...issues that may resolve themselves this year but...given our luck in this venture...maybe not. In any case I decided to book a trip to Disney World over her birthday as something to either celebrate or get away from...reality. It would also give her something to look forward to this year if shit goes sideways as it tends to do.

I know Canaveral would most likely be worth the time out on the East Coast of Florida...but...has anyone taken any tours of Canaveral...and/or spent any time in Cocoa? Anything else to do there besides the normal Touristy stuff (Ron Jons, etc)?

And yes...Britt is interested in NASA and Canaveral...it's basically the only reason I'm looking; sure I am but I wouldn't force her along on to this. {laugh}

Anyway...thanks all.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
DXing 14 Jan 19, 01:32Post
Cocoa and environs are worth the visit. Aside from the visitors center at the Cape there is a small, but interesting, aviation museum at KTIX just outside of Titusville.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=airports+near+new+smyrna+florida&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTSR
Their website seems to be having problems but the museum was up and running a couple of months ago.

You can check to see if a launch is going to happen around the dates you plan to be in Orlando. It's only a 60 minute drive over to Titusville where you can see the launch very clearly.

Cocoa Beach is touristy, and that's about it. A day at the beach is about all you can expect. The area is transitioning to being a place for cruise ship departures rather than anything else. Daytona is to the north, there is a dog track up there, but not for long. They've been outlawed as of the past election.

Other than that Cocoa and the space coast is more about relaxing. But I end up there several times a year just for that.

Have fun if you decide to go.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Jan 19, 02:32Post
I went on a tour of Kennedy Space Center many, many, many years ago. If I where in the area, I'd definitely go back.
Make Orwell fiction again.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 14 Jan 19, 02:53Post
DX-

I've been to Cocoa Beach twice about....16ish and 19ish years ago...

More recently to Port Canaveral for cruises (thrice)...

So I've been there...ish...just trying to decide if we should go back for a day or two.

Thank you though.

Shy-

Pretty much my thoughts...just poking for opinions is all. :))
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jan 19, 09:47Post
Patricia and I went to Kennedy about a year ago. I was pretty cool. Lots to see and read, and to do. It was worth the two hour drive from Orlando. We didn't see a launch, but there is everything else.

There are extra tours we didn't take - out to the launch pads for instance. Nothing to see but a launch pad if there's nothing there that's gonna fly.

But the visit in and of itself it worth it. You'll only need a day for that.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Boris (Founding Member) 14 Jan 19, 15:36Post
Funny, I was down there two days ago for a wake for a high school buddy. Saw a bunch of friends from the early 70's. I moved to Satellite Beach (separated from Cocoa Beach by Patrick AFB) in 1970 and lived all over South Brevard County for about 24 years. Went to Satellite High way back when.

Anyway, I moved to North Florida about 25 years ago and don't get down to the beach that much anymore. I can't believe how many condo's are on the beach nowadays. It was wide open when I was young. I think it's nicer in South Brevard (beachside near Melbourne) than Central Brevard (Cocoa Beach). But there's not a lot of excitement. It's good to relax. Some nice hotels on the beach down there, but after Disney, it would probably be good to sit at the beach for a couple days. November should be nice weather; a little cool for us locals, but you'd probably love it.
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 14 Jan 19, 17:32Post
Thanks, Gents.

Ended up finding a deal on tickets last night so I purchased them...gave us 2.5 days after the Mouse to do something so...Cocoa it is. {thumbsup}

If anyone is is in the Central FL area between Nov 5 and the 14th...let me know? :))