You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Totally Useless Thread On A Rainy Wednesday

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

captoveur 05 Feb 20, 13:52Post
ANCFlyer wrote:
fiatstilojtd wrote:I guess some of our resident Military Vets like Pep or other more senior members on netAirspace wish today that they would have bought a certain Rolex back in the 70's for 345 USD and kept it somewhere in a safe.

Today it would be worth up to 700.000 USD.

https://www.krone.at/2090019

I saw that . . . probably shoulda done that . . . .but Rolex and Abrams tank or squad car don't mix . . . .get a good old Timex ($20) so when you slam it against something you're not out $345 or $700,000. I do have a Breitling though. It stays in a box until I have some formal something to do.

Back when I was at the PD we had a retired trooper who wore a Rolex Sub he bought as a retirement gift to himself.

They are tougher than you think.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 05 Feb 20, 15:14Post
captoveur wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:
fiatstilojtd wrote:I guess some of our resident Military Vets like Pep or other more senior members on netAirspace wish today that they would have bought a certain Rolex back in the 70's for 345 USD and kept it somewhere in a safe.

Today it would be worth up to 700.000 USD.

https://www.krone.at/2090019

I saw that . . . probably shoulda done that . . . .but Rolex and Abrams tank or squad car don't mix . . . .get a good old Timex ($20) so when you slam it against something you're not out $345 or $700,000. I do have a Breitling though. It stays in a box until I have some formal something to do.

Back when I was at the PD we had a retired trooper who wore a Rolex Sub he bought as a retirement gift to himself.

They are tougher than you think.

+1. My watch has taken a beating, other than routine maintenance, it runs like a champ. They don't make my model anymore, people have offered insane $$$ for it. Nope. Not for sale.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 06 Feb 20, 09:32Post
Both my Casio watches have run for years, one runs a little fast, the other a little slow.

Breitling is very nice, I wouldn't mind one of those. The lower end luxury brands seem pretty good, too (Seiko, Invicta, etc.).
Mark 14 Feb 20, 15:33Post
I upgraded my desktop computer to Windows 10 a couple of months ago. This Boomer is still getting used to it, but there has been one area that I hate. I wanted the Start button to bring up a Windows 7-type menu when I clicked it.

Well, I found an easy program that does that called Open Shell. After I downloaded it, I was able to easily tweak a few Windows 10 features from the Open Shell menu and, ta-da! I'm satisfied. Perhaps the whole world already knows about Open Shell and I'm just a dork. Whatever.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... windows-7/

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 23 Feb 20, 13:22Post
We all know that dream - you attend a professional sports venue as a fan, then all of a sudden everybody and their brother gets injured and the coach turns to you and asks: "Can you play for us?"

Well, exactly that just happened to 42 year old Canadian minor league Zamboni driver David Ayres in the NHL, when both goalies of the Carolina Hurricanes got injured during their match in Toronto:

Of course, that dream includes becoming the hero of the day, winning the game for your team, so...

He became the Canes' player of the match and received quite a bit of media attention afterwards.

Certainly not the worst day in his life...
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 23 Feb 20, 21:38Post
I'm a huge hockey guy, played for a decade in me youngest years.

Best part is Toronto Maple Leafs pay his salary...and he beat them. As a Red Wings fan; seeing Toronto, with all that high paid talent, lose, is a bonus. :))

Such a great thing to witness. {thumbsup}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 23 Feb 20, 22:26Post
I love the moment when Ayres enters the rink, and his new team mates have to show him which goal he's supposed to tend.

Or the look on the Canes' headcoach's face. It's a look of a man who just lost all hope. :))
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 24 Feb 20, 04:11Post
Brind'Amour's speech in the locker room after the game is halfway decent...

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/rod-brindamour-post-game-speech/c-5282964
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 25 Feb 20, 02:49Post
Downloaded and installed American Truck Simulator today. After watching some YouTube videos on it, it looked like quite a bit of fun. Checked the recommended specs on the developers website and my machine meets and even exceeds some of them.

Downloaded and installed, game refuses to use my controller even though it recognized it. Frame rates suck eggs even with the graphics options in the game turned all the way down.

A new modest gaming rig will cost me at least half my monthly take home pay.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 25 Feb 20, 13:00Post
ShyFlyer wrote:A new modest gaming rig will cost me at least half my monthly take home pay.

We will probably all have to make that sacrifice pretty soon. Have you seen the footage of the upcoming new MS Flight Simulator? That looks like the most ambitious and spectacular project I've ever seen.

Never thought that a game release would get me so hyped again. And I'm using the term "game" lightly here.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 25 Feb 20, 16:20Post
Zak wrote:Have you seen the footage of the upcoming new MS Flight Simulator?

Yes. Yes I have. :))

MS still hasn't released machine specs and the YouTubers that have reviewed it either haven't been allowed to divulge the specs of the machines they were using at MSHQ or weren't told.

Back in the day, MS had a real nasty habit of wowing us with impressive graphics only to release the sim and not even the "recommended" specs could come close. What ever machines were top of the line at the time could achieve anything close to what was advertised and those machines were way out of my price range.

My fixed-wing flying days are over, so I'm very interested in this release. It almost reminds me of the excitement over FS2000 when I thought FS98 was the shiznit.

I wonder what this means for P3D? Simmers flocked to it when MS said they were done with flight sim even though LockheedMartin's target audience was professionals. LM probably isn't concerned but I'd imagine add-on development targeted towards simmers would dry up as simmer's attention transitions to the new MS product.
Fumanchewd 26 Feb 20, 21:49Post
I sold an aeroplane part to a certain large cargo company who starred in a movie with Tom Hanks and a volleyball......

I sent said part overnight by the same company I sold the part to.

Said company lost the part and three weeks later they are still looking for it. I have started an investigation with them.

I feel good that they can't complain. Its really satisfying. :))
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 26 Feb 20, 21:56Post
Nice!

And we're annoyed at Yellow Box Airways for leaving a cryogenically-cooled container of our samples in Leipzig because "the plane was full". Meaning we missed our synchrotron beamtime slot tomorrow and now get to do the data collection at 2am on Saturday. Assuming they haven't all warmed up and been destroyed. {crazy}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 03 Mar 20, 13:37Post
Anyone else having issues with YouTube lately? Seems I can't watch a video without refreshing the page.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 03 Mar 20, 14:07Post
Not me, the only trouble I have with it are embedded VPN ads {grumpy} I'd pay to make the other ads go away, except then these would piss me off even more.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 03 Mar 20, 19:46Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Anyone else having issues with YouTube lately? Seems I can't watch a video without refreshing the page.

Is the premium/skip trial pop-up appearing in the bottom left corner of your screen, or are you getting the 'an error occurred' message? If so, your adblocker is clashing with the new youtube update.
A million great ideas...
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 03 Mar 20, 23:05Post
"An error has occurred."

That was yesterday. Today no issues.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 05 Mar 20, 16:15Post
Jürgen Klopp is a genius. Even when he isn't.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 01 Apr 20, 16:20Post
Finally clawed my way back to the top of the Pairplanes leaderboard for today. Watch JLAmber wipe the floor with me...
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 11 Apr 20, 16:17Post
I have decided to retire the eye-mack. At present, I don't really have another use for it, so I looked into trading it in to Apple. They valued it at $450 (trade-in or gift card). {sarcastic}

So what is a machine like this really worth? I've looked at Apple's Refurbished shop page and similar, but newer, machines are fetching $1200 ~ $1800.

eye-mack.jpg
eye-mack.jpg (203.69 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Apr 20, 16:34Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I have decided to retire the eye-mack. At present, I don't really have another use for it, so I looked into trading it in to Apple. They valued it at $450 (trade-in or gift card). {sarcastic}

So what is a machine like this really worth? I've looked at Apple's Refurbished shop page and similar, but newer, machines are fetching $1200 ~ $1800.

eye-mack.jpg

I just got myself a new Windows workstation that is literally benchmarking at 800% the speed of my laptop from 2 years ago. It's changed my entire workflow because it blasts through stuff so fast!

Now if I just get that gubbmint money, I'll have enough to buy your used iMac. LOL
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 11 Apr 20, 17:02Post
Lucas wrote:I'll have enough to buy your used iMac.

Make an offer. As long at it's between the figures listed, it should be good. :))

Gotta warn you, though. This machine is mediocre at gaming. Runs X-Plane 11.50beta ok, but suffers from stuttering with the sliders mid-range. It also gets kinda hot when simming since it's build much like a laptop.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 16 Apr 20, 13:23Post
A friend's birthday is approaching and I thought I had the perfect gift idea: a custom photo puzzle.

Since Walmart doesn't do puzzles anymore unless they are for small children and I've used Shutterfly before, I went there. They are also offering 50% off special.

The final price was quite acceptable but the delivery date was not: mid-June. {facepalm}

No explanation was given but one would guess Corona has something to do with this. That said, it's still ridiculous to have a puzzle take nearly two months from clicking "Purchase" to arrival on doorstep. I could make the puzzle myself in a couple of days. {sarcastic}
Fumanchewd 07 May 20, 17:23Post
I am really sick and tired of these silly companies sending out their Covid19 message emails. I don't mind hearing news and updates from companies that I use, but I don't need to hear the same catchphrases and BS slogans from the company that I bought my toilet plunger from 2 years ago. Even companies that I have a vested interest in hearing news ramble on and on about their commitments to safety and how much they are giving, blah blah blah. I don't fucking care.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 27 May 20, 17:58Post
I've discovered trucking.

shytrucker2.jpg
shytrucker2.jpg (202.57 KiB) Viewed 3110 times