You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Totally Useless Thread On A Rainy Wednesday

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 29 May 20, 10:25Post
In a sex fantasy gone wrong, two men with machetes entered the wrong house in New South Wales, Australia, before quickly realising their error.

One of them has now been acquitted of entering a home armed with a weapon in July 2019, Australian media report.

They had been hired to carry out a client's fantasy of being tied up in his underwear and stroked with a broom.

The judge concluded that "the facts of the case are unusual".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52843846

"Sorry, mate" {laugh}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 May 20, 20:49Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:"Sorry, mate" {laugh}

We were crying reading this earlier. Of all the things you would double check, surely the address should be top of the list?
A million great ideas...
Fumanchewd 09 Jun 20, 22:04Post
Our new house closed on 10th April with a mortgage rate of 3.625. But rates are even lower right now, I have a friend who just refinanced at 2.85% and he just bought his house 6 months ago.

I am not too bright with these things, so am asking a few brokers we dealt with previously who seemed good to take a look at it. I am not sure if there would be a penalty for refinancing so quick, we'll have to see. Plus we only put the standard 20% down, so it may not be an option.

I have a long list of things to do around the house and I have financed 2 homes three times in 3 years, I don't want to screw with this again. But I doubt rates will be this low for a long time.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 21 Jul 20, 12:42Post
The battery in my smoke detector needs replacing. I've probably had this happen about six or seven times in my adult life, with various makes and models.

Given that I spend roughly 8 hours a day asleep, the odds of any individual smoke detector deciding it's had enough and starting to beep annoyingly while I'm asleep are two to one against.

Every single one, ever, has woken me up. {grumpy}
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jul 20, 20:46Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:The battery in my smoke detector needs replacing. I've probably had this happen about six or seven times in my adult life, with various makes and models.

Given that I spend roughly 8 hours a day asleep, the odds of any individual smoke detector deciding it's had enough and starting to beep annoyingly while I'm asleep are two to one against.

Battery cells lose their charge much faster as they cool, so invariably go flat during the night. Did you never put batteries on top of the gas fire to keep them going? One of the joys of the 80s.
A million great ideas...
airtrainer 07 Aug 20, 05:16Post
Fumanchewd wrote:Our new house closed on 10th April with a mortgage rate of 3.625. But rates are even lower right now, I have a friend who just refinanced at 2.85% and he just bought his house 6 months ago.

I am not too bright with these things, so am asking a few brokers we dealt with previously who seemed good to take a look at it. I am not sure if there would be a penalty for refinancing so quick, we'll have to see. Plus we only put the standard 20% down, so it may not be an option.

I have a long list of things to do around the house and I have financed 2 homes three times in 3 years, I don't want to screw with this again. But I doubt rates will be this low for a long time.

Fingers crossed. I refinanced my loan one year after buying my apartment, with the same bank, without even having to provide a print of the better offer I got elsewhere. Penalty was around 1500€ but a simple signature at the bottom of a paper saved me 19000€ over the next 20 years, wow !
Grounded...
airtrainer 07 Aug 20, 06:22Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:The battery in my smoke detector needs replacing. I've probably had this happen about six or seven times in my adult life, with various makes and models.

Mine decided to die when I was on holiday. As I live in an apartment building it really showed its purpose as nobody acted or even contacted me.
Grounded...
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 16 Sep 20, 01:12Post
A friend of a friend is trying to set me up with a relative of hers. Apparently the statement "I don't see marriage in my future anymore" causes amateur match-makers to emerge from the structures of the porous and hard fibrous-like substance.

Besides, the woman who has been suggested as the potential match is in Missouri. {facepalm} {sarcastic}
Make Orwell fiction again.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 Sep 20, 12:36Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Besides, the woman who has been suggested as the potential match is in Missouri. {facepalm} {sarcastic}

Well, it would hardly be Mrsouri, would it?
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 21 Sep 20, 18:10Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
ShyFlyer wrote:Besides, the woman who has been suggested as the potential match is in Missouri. {facepalm} {sarcastic}

Well, it would hardly be Mrsouri, would it?

I read that as Misery.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 22 Sep 20, 19:27Post
In other news, I'm popular in Indonesia as well. {sarcastic}
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 25 Oct 20, 20:14Post
Finnish speed camera fun:

Many of Finland's traffic surveillance cameras have been updated over the past year and now use high resolution technology, but the use of face masks by errant drivers is causing occasional problems because they can't be identified.

A few percent of drivers caught speeding on traffic cameras ended up not being ticketed for the offence because they were wearing face masks at the time, according to police chief inspector Dennis Pasterstein.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/face ... s/11605332

Something tells me that it'll be more than "a few percent" after this article appeared!

Of course, if you're not at the wheel, and not even in the car, you can speed with impunity:

Police in the southeastern city of Hamina are searching for the owner of a remote-controlled model car which was caught travelling at 70km/h in a 60km/h zone.

The approximately 50-centimetre-long mini-car was captured by a new high-resolution camera on Highway 26 near the village of Töytäri.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/poli ... r/11608420
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 23 Nov 20, 15:06Post
In-N-Out has finally landed in Colorado. Locations in Aurora and Colorado Springs are now open. A third in Lone Tree is expected soon. This past Friday was opening day.

After work on Friday I went by the Aurora location mostly out of curiosity but also to see if I could actually get in line. Nope. Crowds had thinned out, but every possible access point I could find either had a sign saying "No Drive Through Access" or an Aurora PD Officer directing traffic away from the scene.

Saturday was better as someone thought to put up signs directing people were to go to actually get in line. However, I spoke to an Officer who said wait times were at least an hour...may more.

Both attempts were made at about 2100hrs local time.

I suppose this is better than rioting.
Mark 23 Nov 20, 22:43Post
ShyFlyer wrote:In-N-Out has finally landed in Colorado. Locations in Aurora and Colorado Springs are now open. A third in Lone Tree is expected soon. This past Friday was opening day.

After work on Friday I went by the Aurora location mostly out of curiosity but also to see if I could actually get in line. Nope. Crowds had thinned out, but every possible access point I could find either had a sign saying "No Drive Through Access" or an Aurora PD Officer directing traffic away from the scene.

Saturday was better as someone thought to put up signs directing people were to go to actually get in line. However, I spoke to an Officer who said wait times were at least an hour...may more.

Both attempts were made at about 2100hrs local time.

I suppose this is better than rioting.

Wow. I've had In-N-Out when I was in LA for the last NAS LAX get-together and I wasn't impressed. Not at all. In fact, the anticlimax was deafening. The only exciting thing about the LAX In-N-Out was hearing the cool sound of the engines when my first A350 flew overhead. Personally and conversely, I'll excitedly wolf down a Whataburger triple whenever I'm visiting my sister in Austin.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 24 Nov 20, 02:25Post
The In-N-Out at LAX is garbage food-wise.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 24 Nov 20, 03:47Post
The food there was alright, but it was not anywhere near what the hype leads one to believe. That said, it's still decent food.
airtrainer 05 Jan 21, 20:05Post
Useless it is, but my cat turned 13 this week-end {cheerful}
Grounded...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Jan 21, 22:12Post
airtrainer wrote:Useless it is, but my cat turned 13 this week-end {cheerful}

You spoil that cat!

Our last pet, an armoured catfish named OB (because he was a sucker and there's One Born every minute), died just before Christmas at a respectable 17 years.
A million great ideas...
Mark 07 Jan 21, 17:57Post
My third starling, Ling, is 3.5 years old today.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Fumanchewd 07 Jan 21, 20:17Post
Mark wrote:My third starling, Ling, is 3.5 years old today.

I've never noticed their plumage has so many changes in color and patterns. Pretty bird, squawk.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 07 Jan 21, 20:30Post
Fumanchewd wrote:I've never noticed their plumage has so many changes in color and patterns. Pretty bird, squawk.

Oh, they're gorgeous. The problem is getting them to stay still long enough to notice!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 05 Feb 21, 23:25Post
When some shifty blokes rock up in a clapped-out Transit and offer to build you a runway for cash:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-27.568168 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Mark 03 Mar 21, 01:00Post
Drumroll, please... And the winning name in the Minnesota "Name the Snow Plow" contest is... Plowy McPlowface. Seriously. It is.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 08 Mar 21, 05:39Post
On the evening of Saturday, March 6, an unknown subject left a small plastic bag on my doorstep. The clear re-sealable zipper storage bag contained six Oreo-brand cookies and a hand-drawn heart on a single piece of notebook paper sized approximately 2" by 2".

The intend of the subject, or group of subjects, is currently unknown. Interviews with neighbors indicate that this was an isolated incident as no other residents of the apartment building have received such items, either recently or on the night in question.

No other items were left and there have been no further occurrences. The bag and it's contents were disposed of out of an abundance of caution.

The apparent target remains on high alert.
Mark 14 Mar 21, 16:16Post
There's a little hangout in nearby Minneapolis called the Bryant Lake Bowl. It's been there forever. The owners hired a couple of guys to shoot a commercial. Well, here it is. One take. No computer graphics. All that was used was a tiny drone and a pair of virtual reality goggles worn by a very experienced pilot.