You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

The State Of The...Your Job!

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 25 Feb 21, 08:17Post
Fumanchewd wrote:But something tells me that these guys aren't going to give us our previous pay back until they absolutely have to. I'm going to give it some time, but it might be time to look somewhere else a little more seriously. Sometimes you have to leave to get paid more at the same job.

Yep, sometimes you just gotta go. Worse of is when you work in an ineptocracy.

At least we are seeing an uptick in work coming in. things are brighter. A broker we do work for has almost returned to pre-Covid volume.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Fumanchewd 27 Feb 21, 06:31Post
miamiair wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote:But something tells me that these guys aren't going to give us our previous pay back until they absolutely have to. I'm going to give it some time, but it might be time to look somewhere else a little more seriously. Sometimes you have to leave to get paid more at the same job.

Yep, sometimes you just gotta go. Worse of is when you work in an ineptocracy.

At least we are seeing an uptick in work coming in. things are brighter. A broker we do work for has almost returned to pre-Covid volume.

Oddly enough, the greatest increase in business we've had in the last year is from 145 shops and brokers. Cargo is up too, but that was expected...
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 28 Feb 21, 05:20Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I can propose a change to the compensation process, and believe there would be broad support for it, but the challenge is making the case so that people outside my chain of command understand and agree that providing training for free isn't the best solution.

Turns out I don't have to do this, as they found a work around that ensures I get paid appropriately. It was what I was considering proposing anyway so...yeah...all's well that ends well. {thumbsup}
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Feb 21, 12:57Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
ShyFlyer wrote:I can propose a change to the compensation process, and believe there would be broad support for it, but the challenge is making the case so that people outside my chain of command understand and agree that providing training for free isn't the best solution.

Turns out I don't have to do this, as they found a work around that ensures I get paid appropriately. It was what I was considering proposing anyway so...yeah...all's well that ends well. {thumbsup}

That's a breath of fresh air to hear.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 28 Feb 21, 23:40Post
Good. I had to recently learn this lesson the hard way (working without being adequately compensated.

Work hard, efficient and competently...and make sure you get paid for it.

I know you have it handled...nice to hear it tuned out with less stress than it could have. {thumbsup}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 04 Mar 21, 04:40Post
Well, it was never an issue of "are they trying to screw me" more of a "this is an unusual situation and we don't know how to handle it...yet."

Definitely far better than what I've experienced at other jobs. That's why I always say that I love my job.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Mar 21, 22:47Post
Air traffic controllers seem to have a secret society of sociopaths and autistic people among them, at least from those I've experienced. Let me tell you a recent story.

I have a coworker here who I've worked with elsewhere (chasing the $$$). He served in the military, got out, and retired from the FAA at Atlanta Center. Great controller. Then went to Afghanistan and has made $2.5m. He also gets social security.

We are both leaving on the same flight, going to different locations. He is going on vacation and asked me if I could loan him a little money for it.

Today he emailed me with his request for a loan of, no kidding, $2000. Sure, that's not the worst in comparison to what we make, but in comparison to the craploads of money he's taken in, it's insane.

How in heaven's name do you go through that much money?
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 09 Mar 21, 03:07Post
Shorting $GME
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Mar 21, 22:00Post
Lucas wrote:How in heaven's name do you go through that much money?

Gambling, every time. I know people who have blown millions gambling.
A million great ideas...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Mar 21, 22:17Post
JLAmber wrote:
Lucas wrote:How in heaven's name do you go through that much money?

Gambling, every time. I know people who have blown millions gambling.

I feel that you must be correct. He retired while making $170,000/yr. It's inconceivable to have as little money as he does, and I used to be homeless. Heck, he's already twice before asked me for food because he's out of money, and even with a CRAP TON of expenses, he should be able to save $40K/yr no problem, and that's eating ribeye every night that you have flown in!

What most convinces me that you're correct is that it (a) can't be drugs given our location and (b) I found out that he could ask his relatives for money but he was super-averse to doing that and couldn't explain why. If you want to ask a random coworker that you don't know that well for $2K rather than family, it's gotta be something they've turned you down for, or something just shameful.

I turned him down and told him that it's an incredible thing to do, and just weird. I also pointed out that his request (which he bungled) had 45% unaccounted for.

Now, that said, I've never had any experience with gamblers, but I think you're probably on the right track.

Also lol shorting $GME :))
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 10 Mar 21, 22:49Post
I've seen gambling destroy lives. My first LT had previously served as a Captain for the agency. He was demoted after some really minor gambling stuff. Then, he was let go after he repeated the mistakes.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 05 Jun 21, 05:44Post
Critical Incident at work Thursday. Still a bit surreal.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 29 Jun 21, 15:49Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the stress of my current position is having a negative effect on me. I spend most of my free time doing...nothing.

I love the job I do and it will, hopefully, allow me to move to my dream job of Ramp Control (since the basic functions are quite similar). Still, I miss the days of doing stuff on my days off that aren't watching TV or sleeping.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 Jun 21, 21:13Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if the stress of my current position is having a negative effect on me. I spend most of my free time doing...nothing.

I love the job I do and it will, hopefully, allow me to move to my dream job of Ramp Control (since the basic functions are quite similar). Still, I miss the days of doing stuff on my days off that aren't watching TV or sleeping.

Make a realistic schedule to get where you want to be and, if you're not there by the end of it, don't waste a moment more and move on.

I'm back getting my hands dirty (and often very wet) and I love it. I'm nobody's manager, I get the job done, go home with no stress and get paid well for it. Things that float are much the same as things that fly when you strip everything back to the basics - a hard landing is much the same as hitting a reef, the bladed propulsion bits are equally sensitive and, yes, it is going to cost you a fortune and add weeks/months to the build to have it in some previously untried specification.

I'm just waiting for Stelios to turn up and ask the boat yard next door to squeeze a 72 footer onto a 56 hull and add a few extra bulkheads at no extra cost. At least he won't be my problem this time!
A million great ideas...
Fumanchewd 10 Jul 21, 06:58Post
I've sold 5 inlet cowls in the last 4 months, they are starting to call me the cowl king..... that's a lie, I told everyone else that. :))

I sold 3 x 737NG cowls we had tagged OH and in stock to one of the big 3 about 4 months ago. I brokered an A320 inlet cowl to a big domestic single aisle carrier about 2 months ago with 30%+ margin. (Everyone was amazed I pulled that off as this airline goes out to everyone for their requests, how can you broker? I know a provider they miss in their requests) And I sold a 772 Inlet cowl (314W3080-11) to the same previous big 3 carrier yesterday We've had this thing sitting AR in a crate in the AZ sun for about 5 years. We are looking at options to ship it to the shop (local) to be Overhauled... the crate dims are about 13 feet x 13 feet x 4 feet and 1600lbs and the current crate is falling apart so vertical transport seems unlikely. :o
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Jul 21, 00:17Post
Pumping J's, listening to approach having deals once every three days.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 11 Jul 21, 02:04Post
Lucas wrote:Pumping J's, listening to approach having deals once every three days.

noidea.jpg
noidea.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 23 Jul 21, 11:19Post
Nepotism sucks! What a morale killer.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 27 Jul 21, 22:46Post
Motivation to stick with my current employer has, sadly, died. {vsad}

An internal job opportunity, one that I've put in for before, has once again come up for grabs. When I went to log into the governmentjobs website to apply, I was informed that I had already applied (in April) and was not able to reapply until October. HR has a blanket policy that locks you out from reapplying for six months if you are not selected. There are no waivers available - I've asked.

It's not my qualifications nor my reputation within the agency holding me back. It's my current job title. It's hard to explain, but the job is viewed by many as...lowly...only good enough to hold one over until they become a "real" part of the agency (ya know, with a badge). Disregard the fact that my actions (or lack thereof) have a direct and immediate effect on the safety and security of the facility.

My job classification is being reviewed for a possible raise in pay, though. However, the last reclassification attempt was denied since similar positions around the metro paid slightly less. There is little hope this time around as the county has been crying about budget issues since the pandemic began.

Meanwhile...I'm slowly going broke and have resulted in picking up extra work delivering fast food orders.
captoveur 24 Sep 21, 19:13Post
Just got told to take my 3rd Pfizer shot by my employer.

Fuckit.. took the shot.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 05 Oct 21, 16:17Post
captoveur wrote:Just got told to take my 3rd Pfizer shot by my employer.

Fortunately, my employer still hasn't required the first round. Not that it would matter since I did it on my own.

I've handled more critical incidents in the past couple of weeks than I have my entire time with the agency (3.5 years). The Incident Command System is a beautiful thing.

Anyway, if one were to look at the raw data, I should just quit my job. It is one of the lowest paying civilian positions in the organization, but comes with a considerable amount of responsibility and stress. With body worn cameras being mandated, digital evidence is expanding and hiring. That position, without the stress of dealing with multiple critical incidents every week, offers a 13% increase in base pay, with a top-end rate of 19% more than what my current job offers.

I love my job. Training others to do my job has brought a new level of satisfaction and enjoyment. I'm personally invested in serving and protecting the men and women that serve and protect. It's not the stress of the job that drains me to the point of spending my entire time off just wanting to sleep, it's the paycheck.

ShyFlyer wrote:My job classification is being reviewed for a possible raise in pay, though. However, the last reclassification attempt was denied since similar positions around the metro paid slightly less. There is little hope this time around as the county has been crying about budget issues since the pandemic began.

I wrote that in July. Still no word from the "sacred council." Support for higher pay is widespread, but the ones that can actually implement it have remained silent.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 02 Nov 21, 15:49Post
ShyFlyer wrote:It's not the stress of the job that drains me to the point of spending my entire time off just wanting to sleep, it's the paycheck.

Yes it is. It IS the stress...in addition to the paycheck which, because of our glorious and fabulous President, evaporates quicker than it did previously even with the extra padding all the overtime has provided.

I'm not really working that much overtime, usually about 10 hours, maybe 15. A standard shift is 10hrs, when I do OT I'm on for 15hrs. Where the fatigue is coming from is the fact the job involves being on alert for the entire shift. I only have "help" when I have a trainee and, well, that doesn't really help.

I'll be moving to graveyard starting in January (gotta love seniority based bidding). Less activity, but it's graveyard. Rumor has it one of our control room operators will be leaving in April, leaving potential to move back to a dayshift spot, though the days off will suck.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 20 Nov 21, 04:53Post
I'm struggling with major decision. The fine folks at DEN still don't see how my experiences suit them. I need literal airport operations experience. That means either throwing bags or line service.

The decision? To leave my current job and take a huge pay cut (I'm due for a 6% raise at the beginning of 2022) or keep it and work bags or line on the side. Work on starvation wages or sleep maybe a couple of hours a day.

May not survive 2022. {tired}
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 10 Dec 21, 04:04Post
ShyFlyer wrote:The decision? To leave my current job and take a huge pay cut (I'm due for a 6% raise at the beginning of 2022) or keep it and work bags or line on the side. Work on starvation wages or sleep maybe a couple of hours a day.

I'll be working the line at a local FBO part-time.
DXing 10 Dec 21, 14:27Post
I've been with my current employer for just over a year now. Couldn't be happier and wish I'd made the move years ago. Covid did a lot of damage to a lot of people, but I have to say that deciding to take the early out at UA and taking 9 months to decompress was the best thing I've done for myself in a long, long time.

My weight is down, blood sugar is also down, so far in fact that they've cut my prescription in half. Same with the BP.

After 3 months in the office proving I could show up on time and be productive they told me to go work from home and that's been my office now for 9 months. Work out on the enclosed/heated back porch and while I had thought of retiring at 65, I might just go to 70 now if the travel restrictions aren't lifted.

I'm very thankful that I've gotten to see most everything in the world I've wanted to see. Still have to check off Antartica and Easter Island, those are the two left on the bucket list. There are optional places on the list but those were the major two left from when I first made my list.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?