You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

BNSF and ATC, blah blah.

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jan 12, 21:26Post
This is just an update for all you fools who might otherwise be totally bored by something that I couldn't take credit for.

As of today, I'm officially a conductor for BNSF.

As of today, my "training" has been extended by two weeks, even though I'm a conductor—in fact, we really don't have to do anything if we don't want to, but it was that or get laid off immediately. As it is, I'll probably be jobless in two weeks' time. We have about 20 people on the retention board at my wee station, and another 10-20 simply jobless. The coal sets are down and the economy hasn't been kicking along all that well.

Some bad news about the job, though. We have 0 scheduled days off. It's "get on a train, 10 hours off, get on a train, 10 hours off." There isn't a day when we get a scheduled break. No 7-on, 3-off like I was told at the interview. Partially because of that, we've had a ton of resignations. The only way we get any time off is by what amounts to calling in sick or saying that you're too tired and it would be dangerous, and even then they deny you the right to call in sick. Or...if you're lucky and can transfer out of the "MT" Division, which is: Forsyth, Glasgow, Glendive, Mandan, Minot, and Aberdeen. (Not what one expects of "Montana. :P )

Because of the above, this is really not an ideal division, not like the open divisions or up at Whitefish. I was already informed that they hired me for Forsyth simply because they need warm bodies to fill Glendive and Minot, where no one can afford to live because of the oil boom. That's depressing, but I've learned not to trust anyone here.

The good news is that the money isn't bad: I've been making about $4000-4600 a month on training pay. Of course, getting right out of class and having no works sucks.

In other good news, I got a call a couple of days ago, and I'm going to be an Air Traffic Controller for the WY Air Guard here soon enough. The Colonel in charge will be calling me Monday about class dates and getting me down there to sign. Apparently, BNSF will make up the difference in pay (since Guard pays nothing) for people in some circumstances—I'd love that, too.

ATC seems like a better career field overall. I'll be able to retain my seniority umber for 5 years while active-duty training.

Random other factoids:

-I was the "best person ever interviewed" by the division trainmaster, in his words. I got off a train in Glendive right before Christmas, and I got called to the trainmaster's office. The one who interviewed me was there, and he'd seen my name as inbound on a train and wanted to talk to me. Of the 100 (I didn't realize there were so many) who interviewed at my hiring session, 2 of us got hired. I was number one, but he said I did the best of all the people he's ever had. That was nice.

-Trains are slow.

-I will be forced to become a conductor within a year if I stay here. (Don't know if I mentioned that already.)

I'm also considering flying the nest for Montana Rail Link.

So, that's my life! Any thoughts on ATC?
Mark 13 Jan 12, 22:11Post
Lucas wrote:
-I will be forced to become a conductor within a year if I stay here. (Don't know if I mentioned that already.)

You mean engineer?

I can see why dad talked me out of applying to be a Union Pacific conductor.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jan 12, 22:14Post
Ex-Brother in Law works BNSF out of Lincoln, NE. He loves it. Of course, he's single (cause he was smart enough to un-ass that bitch sister of mine) and likes trains.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jan 12, 22:36Post
Mark, yes, engineer. {blush} Sorry, I've been up for a very long time.

The thing is, some places in other divisions have it just amazingly good—4 on, 2 off, for example, on some of the old ATSF lines.

Ours went away because of the RISA Federal rest agreement. We're a closed district, so things just got worse instead of better.

The job is incredibly easy and pays a ton, but you have to get on in the right spots.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jan 12, 22:37Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Ex-Brother in Law works BNSF out of Lincoln, NE. He loves it. Of course, he's single (cause he was smart enough to un-ass that bitch sister of mine) and likes trains.

I would say that being a dispatcher for the railroad would be your best bet, job-wise. You get RR retirement and amazing money, plus you're home everyday. The ex-BIL sounds like he's in open division, which is where I'd rather be, especially single. None of our "cities" have any women even. :))
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 13 Jan 12, 23:07Post
Lucas wrote:Any thoughts on ATC?

What can I say? This is netAirspace, right? Not netRailways... ;)

Best of luck, I'll keep the fingers crossed for ya! {thumbsup}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jan 12, 23:23Post
Hhahah. Well I have to settle down instead of doing this bouncing all around, as I am, so air traffic control...

Wait a second. I'd be an SME then, right?
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 13 Jan 12, 23:45Post
Thanks for the update, interesting reading.

I noticed you didn't mention the union. Are you a member, and is there not anything they can do to assist in how things are going for you as far as work schedules, etc?

Oh, and maybe I should give this preemptively: {duck}
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Jan 12, 20:43Post
I am unfortunately a union member, which means I have a lot of money taken out of my paycheck, and get no real return from it. In fact, the consensus in our division is that the union and company are equally as dirty, but the union officials get their money from less honest ways! Our union doesn't bother to do much of anything, even when it comes to enforcing our legal contracts. By that, I mean that we have contracts that say stuff like, "if we travel 130.0 miles, we get compensated X amount." The company will often not pay the rate (Why? The track length remains constant!)with no reason given, and the union will just say, "Ok, we'll take 30 cents on the dollar."

Obviously, the kickbacks are great. It sucks.

Good news: BNSF allegedly will make up the difference in my pay during my active duty times. :D {thumbsup} {thumbsup} {thumbsup}
Attachments
downsize.jpg
Loading coal, note back end of train on loop in distance!
downsize.jpg (45.77 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 17 Dec 20, 13:42Post
Lucas wrote:ATC seems like a better career field overall.

Do you still feel this way?
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Dec 20, 22:57Post
Queso wrote:
Lucas wrote:ATC seems like a better career field overall.

Do you still feel this way?

Yes. It's not even close. Incidentally, I get my captain's license after Christmas and have 8 days booked already to learn sailing. Plus an old employer phoned me up and asked me to come back for an extra 30K a year as the boss, but I might take another offer first.

But I'm doing other work while doing ATC so we will see where I end up. This is definitely the best my life has ever been. (Despite my moron boss here, but she's very submissive now, for reasons I won't disclose.)