You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

New Random Thread

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 10 Dec 23, 01:13Post
Just went through 5 pages of GenOff threads here to see when the last random thread appeared and it's been awhile.

This thread is for anything really. Sometimes, I think it's good to have one of these. Anyway, I got a Simplisafe camera and hooked it up and I'm not the most pleased with it. I already have a Blink camera (got 2 on sale awhile back, just because they were cheap - only 1 works w/o a subscription). I compared the images side by side and the Blink is in color and the Simplisafe wasn't. Add to that the Blink cameras (and doorbells) are much more affordable (and the Blink doorbell can be purchased a wireless, too, as opposed to the Simplisafe).

My question is, if anyone has one, is the Echo Show (whichever edition - the Echo Show 5 keeps showing up on Amazon) required for operation? A Google search resulted in some hem and haw response and some reddit thread was the best I could get for a reply (that person said it's not required). I'd rather not shell $80+ for the Echo Show if it's not necessary. I don't mind getting the module ($30+) and I don't mind the lag time so much at the moment with Blink.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 11 Dec 23, 16:57Post
I don't have Blink, but a quick run through of the website suggests that all you need is the smartphone app.

Is it just me or does it seem like there are far too many people that feel the need to swing back out into traffic when using a dedicated turn lane? I can understand doing so if there is some sort of obstruction to avoid (pothole, mini t-rex) but often I see nothing that they need to avoid.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Mark 12 Dec 23, 22:29Post
My 45th year class reunion will be held during the Summer of 2024. It looks like I'm going to be its event planner. My class leaders are having trouble finding classmates to fulfill the roles of planner and event helpers. I've never been a class officer or reunion planner or worker, but there's a 95% chance that it'll be me for this upcoming reunion. I should find out within the next couple of days.

I'm already planning a barn-burner of a reunion at a nearby posh distillery called Tattersall Distillery. Their website is https://www.tattersalldistilling.com/ri ... ent-space/ .

I plan on using a people finder website to find everyone and get their current addresses. The last reunion was a bit of a flop because the planner chose to use a blanket Facebook post to announce it and require personal checks be used to collect event fees. I know that doesn't work for a bunch of 64 year old people. So, I'm going to mail invitations via USPS to every classmate... not to depend on computer-based programs for the initial notification.

As mentioned, the planner for the 40th reunion required attendees to assure their meal and place by mailing checks to her. Checks are old fashioned. There are a lot of my classmates who no longer have checking accounts or even remember where their checks are in their homes. I'm going to print a Paypal QR code on the invitations. The classmates can pay the event fee by QR code or by going to the Paypal website and using their bank account, credit card, or debit card to pay. I will use Paypal Friends & Family to collect the fees, so there will be no excessive fees to pay. Of course, I will still accept checks, money orders, or cash.

Also, instead of using Forever stamps or a postage meter to pay for postage to mail the invitations, I'm going to buy as many 34¢ postage stamps as necessary at face value to mail the invitations. At that time, the postage rate will be 68¢, so two 34¢ stamps will cover the postage. Why, do you ask, do I want to use old stamps? It's simple. There's scientific research that shows that people tend to disregard mail that uses postage meter or Forever stamp postage. When something arrives to their mailbox with two or more old stamps, they tend to open it. So, there you go. I figure I'll need 240 34¢ stamps and 120 #10 envelopes. I'll print the envelope addresses using my computer, which converts the receivers' addresses to a USPS-friendly format, thereby assuring timely deliveries.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 23 Jan 24, 17:01Post
Maybe for a whole different thread (and forum), or maybe just a one-off, thus I put it here. This will (not) warm your heart.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... c.html/amp

Recruiting is way down, so who knows, maybe the draft comes back? Or maybe it won't matter since everything will be automated to where almost no one has to join. {sarcastic}
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 29 Feb 24, 03:05Post
Score one for the dogs -

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cat-own ... 58420.html

Mental health issues and cat ownership, some of us probably had an idea already. 8)
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 29 Feb 24, 10:38Post
Allstarflyer wrote:Maybe for a whole different thread (and forum), or maybe just a one-off, thus I put it here. This will (not) warm your heart.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... c.html/amp

Recruiting is way down, so who knows, maybe the draft comes back? Or maybe it won't matter since everything will be automated to where almost no one has to join. {sarcastic}

I've hired two guys that just got out of the AF. They both say the wokeness in the military has run amok. Interviewing a Navy Growler tech, says the same thing.

Pretty soon the US military won't be able to beat the Keystone Cops.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 26 Mar 24, 11:45Post
Part of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore has collapsed. ABC 7 New York describes a "partial" bridge collapse in a video description on YouTube, with "partial" being a huge chunk of it. A foreign cargo ship smacked into it during the night.