You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

The State Of The...Your Job!

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 Mar 23, 20:29Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
Lucas wrote:...some variant of Gulfstream.

Not that it matters a whole lot, but are these real Gulfstreams or "fake" Gulfrstreams (i.e. the G100/150 & G200/250/280)?

The IAI and real ones all go sloshing around here, my friend!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 31 Mar 23, 21:42Post
In my neck o' the woods, its CJs and HondaJets that go off road. There was a HondaJet based with us that the line staff nicknamed "Tokyo Drift."
Make Orwell fiction again.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 04 Apr 23, 09:42Post
SO what would you do if you held a prominent position in an MRO, and made a mistake that cost the company $180K and a 30 delay in delivery of structurally significant components? Lets say the last time you worked on these parts was in the 2008-2010, and the critical parts had been revised once already by an Airworthiness Directive. 2021 rolls around and someone reaches out if you are interested in refurbishing these components to zero time. You leap to and think this is easy money. You order the critical parts from a cheat sheet you had in your notes. In 2015, a superseding Airworthiness Directive came out which an Alert Service Bulletin states those old critical parts, have to be replaced, with new, fatigue improved parts. When QC catches it, the prominent position man points the finger at everyone he can. In the spirit of trying to remedy the situation, the MRO QC applied to the FAA for an AMOC(Alternate Means of Compliance) and it was denied. So now the critical parts have to be replaced. If you were Mr. Prominent Position man, would you resign?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 04 Apr 23, 13:14Post
miamiair wrote:If you were Mr. Prominent Position man, would you resign?

Me personally? Yes. However, I've worked for "Mr Prominent Position Man" before, and these types rarely do the honorable thing when a mistake is revealed.

This reminds me of my last job in private security. The branch office had come under major scrutiny by the corporate HQ after a few allegations of misconduct had been made, including requiring people to work "off the clock." Branch Manager stepped down, but some of the "underlings" were fired when they refused to face the music.

I too suffered not because of anything I did, but because the hiring manager (who, incidentally had been fired a few years prior for dereliction of duty) neglected to verify my work history, making me "technically ineligible" for the position I held at the time. Several others found themselves in the same boat. I was transferred out of my position (which I'd held for a couple of years, with excellent performance) because the documentation needed was no longer available.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 20 Apr 23, 22:57Post
Since going back to "The FBO," I've seen a very obvious decline in morale. It's mostly due to staffing, which isn't something unique these days. However, the issue is that we are short handed while Corporate says were are overstaffed. Front line supervisors (the salaried ones) often pitch in when needed as long as long as they are available.

It concerns me in that either the "Head Honcho" is seeking to protect a "compensation package" for themselves or if the financial health of the company is getting shaky.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Apr 23, 16:00Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Since going back to "The FBO," I've seen a very obvious decline in morale. It's mostly due to staffing, which isn't something unique these days. However, the issue is that we are short handed while Corporate says were are overstaffed. Front line supervisors (the salaried ones) often pitch in when needed as long as long as they are available.

It concerns me in that either the "Head Honcho" is seeking to protect a "compensation package" for themselves or if the financial health of the company is getting shaky.

If you think for milli-second that ANYONE at your FBO is working to improve YOUR lifestyle you're nuts. That "Head Honcho" give two shits about you or anyone else subordinate to him. He will throw you and yours under a bus in a minute.

Concern yourself with protecting yourself. Focus on YOU because no one else is doing so.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 23 Apr 23, 10:51Post
ANCFlyer wrote:If you think for milli-second that ANYONE at your FBO is working to improve YOUR lifestyle you're nuts. That "Head Honcho" give two shits about you or anyone else subordinate to him. He will throw you and yours under a bus in a minute.

Concern yourself with protecting yourself. Focus on YOU because no one else is doing so.

{check} {check} {check}

I still remember a grotty day in 1996, where even the birds were walking. Staring out over a rain-soaked apron, fog rolling along the taxiway, I became dimly aware of a conversation going on in the back office. The CFI and one of the investors in our new flying school/club thing were discussing one of the guys who did my job at weekends. It was all complimentary, hardly surprising as he was the only one who didn't leave a total mess in the cash tin for me to figure out on Monday. Then, from the investor:

If he likes aeroplanes, why are we paying him?

Oh, it's like that, is it? I quit and went to college.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 23 Apr 23, 21:51Post
ANCFlyer wrote:...improve YOUR lifestyle you're nuts

This is true. An individual's lifestyle is their responsibility and theirs alone. That's not what I'm referring to...its the work environment.

Like most places, we don't have enough people, yet we do a pretty damn good job with what we have. Rather than hire (or attempt to hire) more people, we're told to be happy because the crystal palace dwellers think we're actually overstaffed (authorized staffing levels were recently adjusted downward). Its a great thing to do more with less, but we are on the threshold of too much with too little. That is were the morale issue originates. Well that and the implied threat of layoffs.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Apr 23, 01:11Post
ANCFlyer wrote:
ShyFlyer wrote:Since going back to "The FBO," I've seen a very obvious decline in morale. It's mostly due to staffing, which isn't something unique these days. However, the issue is that we are short handed while Corporate says were are overstaffed. Front line supervisors (the salaried ones) often pitch in when needed as long as long as they are available.

If you think for milli-second that ANYONE at your FBO is working to improve YOUR lifestyle you're nuts. That "Head Honcho" give two shits about you or anyone else subordinate to him. He will throw you and yours under a bus in a minute.

I second this. I got called in to a surprise meeting with a federal agency and my boss's boss and others about a procedure that was being used. It had been used for years as a remediation secondary to safety events and approved by the company and a federal agency at the time.

This was right after I took over. I pulled out my hard-copy of the approval and DIRECTIVE from the company that we use said procedure. My boss's boss then screen-shared a doctored procedure and said that I was new, confused or lying, and that they'd take discipline me and correct the errors, because they'd never seen the document before.

I later went and verified, and sure enough, the procedure was in the federal repository as approved.

In our new, ESG, CYA world, you are a number. And that's why I make sure that my subordinates are not just numbers to me.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 24 May 23, 15:46Post
Staffing just got a bit tighter. At a sister location, two people were fired after they both decided to take a nap during the overnight shift. Those of us that have worked overnights know that the first rule of overnights is that, if you're lucky enough to have a partner during shift, you don't sleep at the same time they do. {facepalm}

Making matters worse is that during their beauty rest, an arrival occurred. With passengers. {facepalm} {facepalm} We are not a "self serve" operation.

Fortunately, at my location, I don't have that issue. Working alone has its advantages, though if flight ops continue to rise, I hope that they staff my shift with some help. The other night I had three aircraft arrive roughly at the same time, two of which were turn-arounds. Not a huge issue solo, but it is easier to fuel an aircraft when you have someone to lend a hand. Fortunately, my "big night" didn't involve any King Airs which, if you haven't fueled one before, consider yourself lucky. We occasionally get cargo Lear 35s on the overnights, and those are a pain to refuel solo as well.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 May 23, 21:19Post
We are having a baby, so I instructed my wife to pause her company and take the next 18 months off. She has for now, but she has an opportunity to get 52k/month, though only gross. About 10-20k net depending on how she runs it.

The downside is that she'd be working and it would screw us out of a potential downline deal which we value at $500-700k. Both options lock us in here. I told her we should hold off on the new business and approach it next year.

My job is going well. I have accomplished just about everything that I want to and which is feasible, though. I am staying mainly to help out the airport and the flying public. The airport wants to retain me...but I am starting to get that itch.

We shall see.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 28 May 23, 00:20Post
Lucas wrote:...a bunch of awesome stuff...

Nice work and congrats! 8) {thumbsup}

I got to drive the new Low Lead truck today. It's built on a Ram 5500 chassis and has all the newer tech that our Jet Trucks have (digital fuel meters w/data link) and even a fuel ticket printer which our Jet Trucks don't have (unfortunately). The hose and reel system is also better and doesn't try to take your arm off. Being a smaller truck (the old one was built on a Ford 750 chassis), I don't feel beat up after servicing the flight school flight line. I was very excited to finally get to use it.

Lucas wrote:...but I am starting to get that itch.

Come work with me. We offer mediocre pay and lousy hours, but sometimes we get free food. Oh, and I'll teach you how to use the Low Lead truck. ;)
captoveur 01 Jun 23, 17:40Post
Made a deal with the new boss.

I get sent to Madison for appropriate training for the roles I am filling, or I am going to demote myself, and find the exit.

We will see what happens. I have been at this too long to not be fully blessed and certified by the mothership.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 01 Jun 23, 18:16Post
The joys of mercenary tactics... I am finally getting around to hiring people, and the place I left, there was an inspector that was burned out by the system. So I offered him more money, and the knowledge that there is no cutting of corners. He turns around and plays it to his advantage. Even though he signed the offer letter, he stayed put for another 13K/year. Pisses me off people have no integrity.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 01 Jun 23, 22:20Post
miamiair wrote:Pisses me off people have no integrity.

"Inspector" also has no personal respect. I couldn't stay somewhere where I felt burnt out if someone was giving me a means to escape it.

That said, I kinda feel that I'm not much better than the "Inspector." When I went back to "The FBO," it wasn't with any sort of agreement that I stay any length of time to repay the favor of rehiring me. However, the time will come when I have to hand in my resignation after receiving another job offer. That conversation will feel like I'm slapping them in the face.

While it would be nice to stay with "The FBO," my current role doesn't provide the financial means to survive. I check the internal job postings and there is opportunity for advancement, but it means leaving DEN area which isn't financially viable at this point. Plus, while these positions would pay more, they aren't in the area of aviation I want to be in to finish out my working years.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 06 Jun 23, 20:28Post
One more backed out. She believed they could work on a part time basis and collect a full-time salary. NOT! So another hat to wear, yippee.

Bookkeepers are, hopefully, easier to find.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 28 Jun 23, 15:00Post
I present the following statement for your reactions/interpretations/etc

...and while I'm here, I just wanted to say to [ShyFlyer] welcome back. That said, I don't do "retreads." The only reason you're here is [supervisor] personally vouched for you. That said, I know the guys are real excited to have you back. I feel this will be really good for you and for us since we'll finally have some consistency on third shift.

This was told to me, and the entire crew during a quick shift brief, shortly after I returned in March. Didn't think too much of it then, but with recent events, its on my mind. I was recently given some new responsibilities (compliance inspections) during my shift. I've tried to make the case that I don't have time for these additional responsibilities (my initial set kept me busy the entire shift), but was only able to convince management to allow me discretion to skip some tasks to ensure these inspections are completed.

So, I have two choices: 1) Skip certain tasks as allowed by Management, or 2) work even harder to make sure that all the old and new tasks are completed and completed correctly.
I'm taking option two. It sucks, but that's life. They gave me a job to do and I'm going to do it right. Skipping stuff makes me feel like I've failed my teammates.

Also, I've had a few people tell me, privately, two very different reasons for the addition of these tasks:
1)"They're trying to get rid of you."
2)"They're probably grooming you for promotion at some point."

At any rate, more caffeine is in my future. That's unfortunate as I was told last week that I need to be "very careful" with my intake of said substance. There have been...issues.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 29 Jun 23, 10:48Post
Do what you're responsible for. If you don't have enough time, get them to give you an hour or two before your shift (Paid, of course) to get your inspections done while you have fresh eyes and a clear mind.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 29 Jun 23, 14:22Post
miamiair wrote:...get them to give you an hour or two before your shift...

I proposed that, it was rejected. OT is a touchy subject, as it is at nearly all for-profit companies. Interestingly, I'm the only one that doesn't get talked to if I don't flex out any "extra" time.

It's all on me to get it done during my scheduled shift. Making 2+2=5 will "be really good for me." The folks at Monster too.
darrenvox 29 Jun 23, 15:37Post
am a horse farmer and it going great!!
https://darrensfs9site.weebly.com
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 29 Jun 23, 18:10Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I proposed that, it was rejected. OT is a touchy subject, as it is at nearly all for-profit companies.

Get your superior to do it then. You can't stick a five pound salami in a two pound bag.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 30 Jun 23, 23:12Post
miamiair wrote:Get your superior to do it then.

Funny you should mention that...I "inherited" these duties from management.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Jul 23, 20:54Post
miamiair wrote:One more backed out. She believed they could work on a part time basis and collect a full-time salary. NOT! So another hat to wear, yippee.

Bookkeepers are, hopefully, easier to find.

The minimum-effort, maximum-gain brigade is everywhere.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 19 Jul 23, 00:54Post
I spent a week's vacation to further my career, namely getting an accreditation "signifies that you have a diverse knowledge of the primary functions of how an airport operates." Some of the jobs that I've applied for in the past listed this accreditation amongst their preferred qualifications, so I'm hopeful that it will make me more competitive in the marketplace. Although I have the email that I passed the test, I have to wait until it actually shows up on the website before I can officially use it.

Meanwhile, my task list grew to now include inspection and cleaning of the potable water cart, the refrigerator for aircraft catering, and the one for staff lunches, munchies, and other abandoned food products.

I've come to look at my growing list of duties as supporting my coworkers.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 20 Jul 23, 11:21Post
Do people not want to work?

I have put out job openings, seven interviews set, only one has showed up. I specifically listed that experience with a certain accounting program is mandatory, people send in shit resumes that don't even have anything to do with bookkeeping and accounting. Do these yutzes get paid to submit resumes?

/rant