You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

The State Of The...Your Job!

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 21 Dec 22, 17:47Post
"New Job" came with a signing bonus. Like many jobs these days, the bonus is to bring in applicants due to the position being short staffed.

I happened to notice that a new announcement for the job has been posted on the organization's job board. The signing bonus has doubled. {facepalm}

I probably won't get the new amount since I've already signed my offer letter.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Dec 22, 13:55Post
Job Status:

Retired.

Sitting in Orlando.

Watching to world spin.

Laughing at WNs (latest) meltdown.

{cheerful} {cheerful} {cheerful} {cheerful} {cheerful} {cheerful}
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 10 Jan 23, 16:03Post
Currently awaiting my security clearance for "New Job." Once complete, I'll have to go in for some computer based training prior to beginning my assignment. There are three items on the list, the first two aren't surprising: safety stuff, security stuff. What surprised me is "Non-Movement Area Driving." My job doesn't involving any airside driving, but since it's in Operations I guess it's a thing. Pretty cool things be happenin'.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Jan 23, 16:56Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Currently awaiting my security clearance for "New Job." Once complete, I'll have to go in for some computer based training prior to beginning my assignment. There are three items on the list, the first two aren't surprising: safety stuff, security stuff. What surprised me is "Non-Movement Area Driving." My job doesn't involving any airside driving, but since it's in Operations I guess it's a thing. Pretty cool things be happenin'.

At two of my facilities, all of the controllers (including off-airport ones) had to take mandatory movement area driving tests every year. LOL.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Jan 23, 01:14Post
Got raises for everyone at my facility again. For some, it amounts to a 31% increase in under 12 months, which is helping given inflation. I am aiming to try and get 2 more raises in the coming 12 months if nothing bad happens to me.

For being a quaint little place, the number of eyes and investigations sometimes makes me want to get into the business of cleaning carpets or something. I weekly feel incredible anger at various situations and personalities.

And despite all of that, I'm still more blessed than at any previous point!
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 03 Feb 23, 01:19Post
After a meeting today, I got approval to give my employees a 4-on, 3-off schedule. This will significantly improve the quality of life for them, so I'm glad it worked out. Come this June, I may be able to secure them another raise, as well as an additional slot on the line.

I have been getting numerous calls from well-qualified candidates this week, so I think that (somehow) the word has gotten out that our pay is decent. I consider it all a huge blessing, and for the first time in the history of the facility, we're not at minimum staffing, and in fact have far too many people to choose from.

My next goal is to expand our hours, but that will take a long time given the process involved.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 06 Feb 23, 21:29Post
Back to square one (somewhat) with regards to my aviation career. A minor illness caused me to miss some training time and...well...I was encouraged to re-apply in six months at "New Job."

I left both previous jobs on very good terms, so the big question is how long will it take for my former employer in the aviation sector (aka "J-2") to put me back to work. In the meantime, I've created a LinkedIn page (its free so what the heck, right?) and will start to throw out additional applications very soon.

Frustrating, but onwards and upwards.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 09 Feb 23, 21:17Post
Still doing the same job, which is quite possibly a record of some sort! Boats are so much more interesting than buses of the air. We have had a slight location move after we shifted our entire operation from the Netherlands to Eastern England ('ull, for those who have had the pleasure) in just nine days after a major disagreement with the Netherlands government.

Currently working remotely from the coastal idyll/retirement village that is Lytham as diving activities are restricted while I recover from a nasty leg injury and subsequent operation, not that staying dry in February is a bad thing!
A million great ideas...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 09 Feb 23, 21:43Post
JLAmber wrote:
Currently working remotely from the coastal idyll/retirement village that is Lytham as diving activities are restricted while I recover from a nasty leg injury and subsequent operation, not that staying dry in February is a bad thing!

Hey now! Is that where the beloved Ms. Necessary acquires here white chocolate rum? I know she imports it from that country of yours.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 10 Feb 23, 12:19Post
JLAmber wrote:we shifted our entire operation from the Netherlands to Eastern England

Oh look, a Brexit benefit! {duck}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Feb 23, 20:04Post
Lucas wrote:
JLAmber wrote:

Hey now! Is that where the beloved Ms. Necessary acquires here white chocolate rum? I know she imports it from that country of yours.

The very same! They're on an industrial estate just behind the marina about a mile from us. When the wind is in the right direction you can smell them from here. I've never tried any, though Mrs M does have a bottle of their gin.

ShanwickOceanic wrote:
JLAmber wrote:we shifted our entire operation from the Netherlands to Eastern England

Oh look, a Brexit benefit! {duck}

Sort of. More a running-from-the-ludicrous-WEF-policies-of-the-Netherlands benefit. If ever you fancy a deep dive into the dangers of listening to that shower, look up what's going on with Dutch farming {crazy}
A million great ideas...
bhmbaglock 15 Feb 23, 18:33Post
My soon to be previous employer was bought out a little less than two years ago, April Fools day actually if you can believe it. First year wasn't too bad then as we were being integrated with the other 3 dozen companies they bought over the last 4 years, it started getting messy.

Started looking around and will be starting a new job in the Product Line Management group for the Aruba networking division of HP Enterprise. Still remote with team members in Bay area, Seattle area, and Bangalore.

One last trip to SLC starting tomorrow then a week of downtime in Key West followed by a week of home projects then start the new job.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Feb 23, 15:19Post
JLAmber wrote:
The very same! They're on an industrial estate just behind the marina about a mile from us. When the wind is in the right direction you can smell them from here. I've never tried any, though Mrs M does have a bottle of their gin.

"Wow, what a small world," wrote the man on an aviation website.

bhmbaglock wrote:
One last trip to SLC starting tomorrow then a week of downtime in Key West followed by a week of home projects then start the new job.

My wife wants us to move to FL so bad. I should never have let her go to Key West...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Feb 23, 15:20Post
All the resumes I get these days have errors, but I recently got one with 48 errors on it, which is a new record. That didn't count the choice to use word art and special colors...
captoveur 17 Feb 23, 15:29Post
We are trying to hire about 15 trainers.

Yesterday, we may have had the worst job interview I have ever been in. The person legit tried to sell us Herbalife during the interview. Like it kept coming up, a lot.

Packet went straight into the shred bin as soon as they left the room.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 17 Feb 23, 17:12Post
I wish the problem with my resume were just errors. Those can be fixed. I just suck. My resume is apparently adored by organizations that need only the ability to fog a mirror, and ignored by orgs that pay enough so that I don't end up homeless.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 05 Mar 23, 00:32Post
So I'll be returning to one of my former employers here in a week or so. Question on my mind is how to display this on my resume?

The position will be different and there will be a gap of about 4 ~ 6 weeks once I'm able to start for this particular employer.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Mar 23, 02:44Post
Had probably the most dangerous thing I've seen in aviation happen today, though best not to speak about it yet. Some years removed from my life.

Lots of pilots and controllers doing dumb things these days.

Shy, hopefully you get back to DEN at some point. Unfortunately I have been instructed into the quick-termination mode here for new hires. I personally hate firing people, but honestly it's way easier here if we can make the assessment quickly and move on.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 06 Mar 23, 00:46Post
Lucas wrote:Shy, hopefully you get back to DEN at some point.

I'll reapply later this year. I'm not in a hurry to get back, but I am curious to see if I was lied to (likely) or not about getting application screening assistance.

Lucas wrote:...it's way easier here if we can make the assessment quickly and move on.

In most safety sensitive occupations, it's the best approach (no pun intended). At "the agency," while there were high stakes regarding safety and liability, we had the luxury of things not moving a few hundred knots per hour, so it was easy to stop a hazardous situation (most times) and regroup/retrain, etc.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 19 Mar 23, 01:27Post
Finally back at the 'ol FBO. It's good to be working again. It's kinda weird though that since this is one of my previous jobs, I pretty much just picked up right where I left off. However, there have been some minor procedure changes...enough of them that I also feel a bit like a newb. I haven't started training on the tasks that weren't part of my previous job title (fuels, lavs, towing) so I'm sure that feeling will persist a bit. Now worries though, it's just part of life.

Coworkers seem genuinely glad to have me back, which is nice. It will be a long time before I feel "secure," though.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 21 Mar 23, 00:58Post
For the amount of money AAAE charges for memberships...plus the fact that membership is defacto required to get anywhere in this industry (save for flight ops), you'd think that their website would be easy to navigate, that memberships would be easy to purchase, renew, and update.

Nope. Lots of dead ends, unanswered questions, and java runtime errors. {facepalm}
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 28 Mar 23, 22:08Post
People I'm adding to my "list..."

- The designers of the APU for the Falcon business jets. Not only is it loud, but it's also shrill. The kind of shrill noise that will make you sick to stomach if you're around it for more than 15 minutes...even with hearing protection. They might be the same folks behind the Rolls Royce Dart and Garrett TPE331. They all sound the same.

- Whomever thought the best place for the lav dump receptacle on the Hawkers was underneath the aircraft. Yours truly had to be down on the ground, on his back, face to face with the beast. Fortunately, no "shower" was had, but...damn...I'm not a fan.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 Mar 23, 00:03Post
ShyFlyer wrote:People I'm adding to my "list..."

- The designers of the APU for the Falcon business jets. Not only is it loud, but it's also shrill. The kind of shrill noise that will make you sick to stomach if you're around it for more than 15 minutes...even with hearing protection. They might be the same folks behind the Rolls Royce Dart and Garrett TPE331. They all sound the same.

Learn something new every day! I will throw in this tidbit: if a private jet is going to slide off a short runway in icy conditions, it will likely be some variant of Gulfstream. Unlike Shy, I base this off a very limited dataset of 3 unwelcome events. :))

Also, good news! Of 28 investigable events in 28 days, all at my facility are currently closed with no controller errors. {thumbsup}
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 30 Mar 23, 16:46Post
Lucas wrote:...some variant of Gulfstream.

Not that it matters a whole lot, but are these real Gulfstreams or "fake" Gulfrstreams (i.e. the G100/150 & G200/250/280)?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 31 Mar 23, 11:09Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
Lucas wrote:...some variant of Gulfstream.

Not that it matters a whole lot, but are these real Gulfstreams or "fake" Gulfrstreams (i.e. the G100/150 & G200/250/280)?

They are the "old" IAI line-up which Gulfstream acquired.

Link
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen