You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Going To Maui- Hilo Eruption

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

Fumanchewd 28 Nov 22, 21:25Post
Going with the family to OGG Friday for 1 week and Hilo's volcano is popping off. I really don't think there is anything to worry about, but I'm going to have to convince the lady. My only real concern is the ash, that it might cancel flights.

What are the chances that my vacay is screwed?
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
DXing 29 Nov 22, 13:25Post
As of now, virtually none. The first link contains the ash forecast as of this writing. It's none and no more advisories are planned unless it gets active again.

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/atmosphere/vaac/volcanoes/MAUNALOA.html

The second link is from the 28th when it was still producing an ash cloud. Multiple routes into and out of both Hilo and Kona airports are still available. No ash reported at the airport.

https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/VAAC/ARCH22/MAUN/2022K281046.html

Muana Loa's lava is more fluid than other volcano's and as result doesn't trap gas causing big explosions that fire ash clouds way up in the air. The initial eruption did, but that's because it was breaking through to the surface. Unless it really starts to pump out the lava most ash and gas will be local.

Enjoy your vacation. If I had the time off, I'd probably hop a flight out just to see the sights, I envy you.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Fumanchewd 29 Nov 22, 17:39Post
DXing wrote:As of now, virtually none. The first link contains the ash forecast as of this writing. It's none and no more advisories are planned unless it gets active again.

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/atmosphere/vaac/volcanoes/MAUNALOA.html

The second link is from the 28th when it was still producing an ash cloud. Multiple routes into and out of both Hilo and Kona airports are still available. No ash reported at the airport.

https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/VAAC/ARCH22/MAUN/2022K281046.html

Muana Loa's lava is more fluid than other volcano's and as result doesn't trap gas causing big explosions that fire ash clouds way up in the air. The initial eruption did, but that's because it was breaking through to the surface. Unless it really starts to pump out the lava most ash and gas will be local.

Enjoy your vacation. If I had the time off, I'd probably hop a flight out just to see the sights, I envy you.

Thanks for the great info. I got tickets PHX-OGG for $250 each on WN, so decided to splurge a bit. Now just to deal with WN's transfers in LAS and SJC while traveling with my 2 kids and mother. I fear them more than the volcano.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 Nov 22, 21:29Post
Mrs ANC and I have friends in Hilo and in Kona. Both say all it well. WN has cancelled their interisland flight in to ITO but KOA seems unaffected. This info as of 11/29/22 1000(Central Time).

OGG is not an issue. . . . . unless a sudden and catatrophic change in the million year old wind pattern there occurs, go to OGG, enjoy your stay, find Eskimo Ice Cream in Kihei and enjoy.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
PA110 (Founding Member) 30 Nov 22, 21:51Post
Mauna Loa is a shield volcano. As such, it gives off a bit of fumes, but mostly lava. Itʻs not prone to pyroclastic flows or explosive eruptions. I went up on the Saddle Road last night to see what the fuss was all about. Well, me and virtually every other braddah on the island was up there in their lifted Tacomas, camped out on the side of the road. The view was pretty spectacular with lava cascading down the northeast side of the mountain from about 10,000' down to about 7,000'.

As of this morning, the lava was within 3 miles of the highway, but has slowed down as it has hit a flat patch. Nobody is quite sure what's going to happen next. If it does cross the highway, life will suck because all traffic will have to take the long way around either northbound on Hwy 19 or southbound on Hwy 11. The drive will go from 1.5 hours to 2.5+ hours or longer depending on traffic.

Here are some pics from last night:

maunaloa1.jpg
maunaloa1.jpg (231.73 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

maunaloa2.jpg
maunaloa2.jpg (124.02 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

maunaloa3.jpg
maunaloa3.jpg (211.22 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Fumanchewd 01 Dec 22, 22:45Post
Very cool. I understand that most of this is coming out of the #3 fissure?
PA110 (Founding Member) 03 Dec 22, 00:37Post
Fumanchewd wrote:Very cool. I understand that most of this is coming out of the #3 fissure?

It is. As of this morning, the flow from Fissure #3 had come within 2.5 miles of the highway, but is moving very slowly.

The flow from Fissure #4 has picked up some speed, but is lower volume. Itʻs heading in more northeasterly direction, but still high up on the mountain.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.