You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Totally Useless Thread On A Rainy Wednesday

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 12 Nov 21, 05:24Post
Mark wrote:I'd stay away from the VW. Those damned things require so many proprietary tools that it becomes nearly impossible for a backyard mechanic to do his own work.

As DX said, it being an EV rules out "backyard mechanic." It'd be maintained by a dealer for sure. Independent shops that work on EVs are becoming more popular, but they're still not widespread. I don't do my own maintenance on my current vehicle, so not a huge issue.

DXing wrote:I'd wondered about the all electric F-150 they are talking about. Like you I wondered what happens when you hook up the family camper. Can't imagine that doesn't knock the hell out of the range.

Towing is something that a large question looming over not only the Lightning, but the other electric trucks as well. The few reports I've stumbled upon regarding Tesla's Model X towing a small travel trailer suggest that it's range barely eeks above 100 miles.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Nov 21, 11:35Post
DXing wrote:I'd wondered about the all electric F-150 they are talking about. Like you I wondered what happens when you hook up the family camper. Can't imagine that doesn't knock the hell out of the range.

Towing is something that a large question looming over not only the Lightning, but the other electric trucks as well. The few reports I've stumbled upon regarding Tesla's Model X towing a small travel trailer suggest that it's range barely eeks above 100 miles.[/quote]

Electric Vehicles and Towing. Makes me laugh my ass off every single time. The only thing I can see my doing as far as towing and an EV are concerned is to hook the EV to the ass end of the BAFDT and haul it to a junk yard. EVs are useless to me.

As for laughing at "us" standing out in the cold pumping expensive fuel . . . .well, I'll be the one laughing if traffic gets snarled and some poor woke piece of shit is standing next to his/her EV on a stagnated interstate or is snowbound on a mountain pass somewhere and their EV is dead . . . I'll still be fat, dumb, happy, warm and dry in my F350 (with the diesel engine running), plenty of fuel (100gal tank in the bed also) . . . and if stuck more than a few hours, the refrigerator in the back seat or the 5th wheel immediately behind my tailgate. {drillsergeant}
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
DXing 15 Nov 21, 16:29Post
Unfortunately, the physics doesn't back that up. While a diesel is burning diesel all the time while it's on, an electric motor isn't burning anything, including electricity when it's sitting still, like in stuck traffic. It's essentially 'off'. I've gotten stuck in traffic on the way to work a couple of times due to accidents. Didn't burn down the charge anymore than if I'd traveled straight through. The heater/AC is electric so that does burn some watts but you can turn it on and off as needed.

If conditions are as bad as your last sentence, there will be a whole lot more people, gas engines included, that will be in a similar fix, standing by the road with a gas can. Saw that in Houston in 2005 during the evacuation for Rita. I45 north was a parking lot for 24 hours. Gas stations ran out of gas. In the end the Texas National Guard had to bring gas tankers up the road to help stranded motorists. The electricity on the other hand, stayed on right up until the storm hit. My car comes with a relatively small and portable 110v 8/12amp charger you can plug in to a regular wall socket ;)

Back in the real world, my EV is just about perfect for the suburban/urban environment. Matter of fact it's getting better everyday. Several stores/shopping centers here have installed EV chargers, right up front near the handicap spots, so I just pull right on in, plug in, and usually the store gives 30-60 minutes free charge while you are shopping. So I'm charging and shopping while you are parking the monster truck out in the hinterlands of the parking lot unless they have a veterans parking spot up front ( I can use that too if there's no EV charge spot). Guess if you're trying to get your steps in for the day, in that situation, the monster truck works. {silly}

BTW, I had pickup trucks for over a decade, when they made sense for my situation. I don't begrudge anyone having one now if that's what makes sense for them. But where I'm at, a truck is just a waste of space and money.

Don't see the EV truck thing working with towing until they get the battery tech farther down the road. Now the hybrid truck has caught my attention.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 20 Nov 21, 03:53Post
The person that runs out of battery on their EV is the same person that would run out of gas in an ICE vehicle.
DXing 29 Nov 21, 20:47Post
Read an interesting article today on solid state battery research for EV's. If the R&D pans out over the next few years EV's could become a lot more practical. Rather than 30 minutes on a hi voltage charger to get 50% charge as with the lithium-ion batteries, solid state batteries could obtain a 100% charge in about the same time, if not less. In addition, since the liquid is removed, you get more bang for your buck in terms of range for the same size battery pack. Since I usually stop for food and gas as well as restroom break, to be able to plug the car in and have it topped off, ready to go another 300-500 miles or so when I come back out from my meal would make it just as useful as an ICE on a road trip.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/technology/a36189339/solid-state-batteries/#:~:text=Solid-state%20batteries%20aren%E2%80%99t%20a%20new%20thing%2C%20but%20their,electric%20vehicles%20are%20high%2C%20to%20say%20the%20least.

I checked with the dealership today and my battery replacement still has not been scheduled. At this point if my range is increased, I'll just hold onto the Bolt until solid state batteries are standard.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 03 Dec 21, 05:29Post
A look at real-world towing in the Rivian R1T:

The first leg of the return trip that they documented was approximately 2,000 miles from LA to near Sikeston, Missouri. Their map shows 20 planned charging stops. This is an average of 100 miles towing between charging stops. The second leg of the trip is approximately 695 miles, and their screenshot shows seven planned charging stops. This is also 100 miles of towing range between charging stops.

https://tfltruck.com/2021/11/rivian-r1t ... y-walmart/

When not towing, the Rivian has a EPA-rated range of just over 300 miles. The F-150 Lighting does as well (with the optional long-range battery).

Add charging times to the equation and cross-country towing with electric trucks isn't going be a pleasant experience. Oh, and charging locations aren't really designed with vehicles towing trailers in mind.
DXing 04 Dec 21, 23:12Post
Shyflyer wrote: Oh, and charging locations aren't really designed with vehicles towing trailers in mind.

You know that's true! I hadn't thought about that. Just saw the new EV charging stations on the Ohio Turnpike service plazas being installed the other day. Telsa chargers are set up for parallel parking. The CCS units were set up for pull in, but the trailer would be left hanging out in the right of way.
Mark 05 Dec 21, 14:29Post
DXing wrote:The CCS units were set up for pull in, but the trailer would be left hanging out in the right of way.

Hmm... Think about getting four safety cones and maybe an extension cord for the charging cable. Would those make things easier? Yeah, some motorists might be a little pissed at you, but it's just a thought. The other choice, of course, is to drop the trailer each time you need to charge up.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 10 Dec 21, 05:45Post
Burn in Hell, Josh Duggar
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 20 Feb 22, 17:05Post
As I delve more into the Airport Operations world, I've begun to expand my horizons to beyond the Denver Metro Area. Target: Florida.

The City Of Orlando is looking for an Airport Operations Officer at MCO. The qualifications are interesting in that you gotta be a cop because...well...the job is to do cop stuff at the airport. No inspections of aircraft movement areas, no need for knowledge of AARF stuff, you aren't expected to issue NOTAMS, etc. Just Cop stuff. Sounds like they should rename the position to...oh, I don't know, Airport Police Officer, because that's exactly what this job is. Not operations. {boggled}
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 20 Feb 22, 17:54Post
Coperations?
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Fumanchewd 03 Apr 22, 17:03Post
I've been thinking of opening my own strip bar, but the dancers would all have limbs missing. I think I could pay them less and most drunk men don't care. We would be very inclusive, all colors are welcome, you just have to be hot with missing legs, arms, quads, paras, etc.

The name of the bar? Amputease

Working on getting the wife to sell the house to fund this thing, I'll keep y'all updated.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 03 Apr 22, 20:27Post
Fumanchewd wrote:I've been thinking of opening my own strip bar, but the dancers would all have limbs missing. I think I could pay them less and most drunk men don't care. We would be very inclusive, all colors are welcome, you just have to be hot with missing legs, arms, quads, paras, etc.

The name of the bar? Amputease

Working on getting the wife to sell the house to fund this thing, I'll keep y'all updated.

{laugh}

I was a licensee (owner of a licensed premises/operation) in my then-hometown for several years, and we had a system of secondment where licensees worked for a short spell with licensing enforcement in order to promote understanding and gain knowledge from those who worked in various, often quite shady, areas of the local economy.

One of my duties involved reviewing licensing applications and one such application was from a guy who wanted to open a boxing-themed gay bar call In the Ring. I suspect he would have appreciated your strip bar's name.
A million great ideas...
Mark 14 Apr 22, 13:47Post
Cool! They're using runway 22 today at MSP due to winds from the SW at 20 mph, gusting to 38 mph. That runway only gets used 2% of the time.

KMSP 141320Z 24022G37KT 10SM -SN OVC029 M02/M08 A2945 RMK AO2 PK WND 22038/1310 SNE07B18 P0000 T10171083

Kind of a crappy day to go spotting. Besides, I have a pre-op physical later.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Apr 22, 19:46Post
ShyFlyer wrote:As I delve more into the Airport Operations world, I've begun to expand my horizons to beyond the Denver Metro Area. Target: Florida.

The City Of Orlando is looking for an Airport Operations Officer at MCO. The qualifications are interesting in that you gotta be a cop because...well...the job is to do cop stuff at the airport. No inspections of aircraft movement areas, no need for knowledge of AARF stuff, you aren't expected to issue NOTAMS, etc. Just Cop stuff. Sounds like they should rename the position to...oh, I don't know, Airport Police Officer, because that's exactly what this job is. Not operations. {boggled}

Shhh...you will alert my wife. She is very keen on FL, too.
DXing 27 Apr 22, 12:46Post
I read this story and instantly thought...Isn't that what God supposedly did? and then I next thought of the video ....

Aliens Created Our Universe in a Lab, Scientist Suggests

https://www.menshealth.com/technology-gear/a39816452/aliens-created-our-universe-in-a-lab/

DXing 02 Jun 22, 02:05Post
ShyFlyer wrote:A look at real-world towing in the Rivian R1T:

The first leg of the return trip that they documented was approximately 2,000 miles from LA to near Sikeston, Missouri. Their map shows 20 planned charging stops. This is an average of 100 miles towing between charging stops. The second leg of the trip is approximately 695 miles, and their screenshot shows seven planned charging stops. This is also 100 miles of towing range between charging stops.

https://tfltruck.com/2021/11/rivian-r1t ... y-walmart/

When not towing, the Rivian has a EPA-rated range of just over 300 miles. The F-150 Lighting does as well (with the optional long-range battery).

Add charging times to the equation and cross-country towing with electric trucks isn't going be a pleasant experience. Oh, and charging locations aren't really designed with vehicles towing trailers in mind.

Article about towing with an F150 lightening....not a good advertisement for the vehicle.

Nick towed a 23-foot Airstream trailer about 30 miles. It weighed about 6,000 pounds loaded. He traveled about 65 mph on a flat route. The truck felt highly capable and provided Nick with a solid overall experience. He points out its strong and instant torque, which is key for towing.

As far as the efficiency was concerned, Nick said he was seeing 0.8 miles per kWh. For comparison, without a trailer, the Lightning was getting 1.5 to 1.8 miles. Thus, about a 50 percent reduction. Nick explained:

"When you plug in your trailer and set the weight, height, length, etc., the Ford system auto-calculates your mileage impact. I plugged in at 85 miles, and when I finished the calculation, it stated I had 54 miles of range with the Airstream."

https://insideevs.com/news/589421/ford-f150-lightning-towing-range-reduction/

I'm unclear as to whether the truck was fully charged or he started at 85 miles. I'm assuming it was 85 miles which to me is pretty stupid. However if we extrapolate out to the trucks 230 mile published range then at most he is going to be in the area of 162 miles. That's going to make for a long day or hitting camp grounds pretty close together. It would get progressively worse if the temperature started to drop.
Fumanchewd 18 Jul 22, 07:50Post
I've found my bestest wish Christmas present I'm putting on my list!!! 60% off, down to $635!!! I really like how it has the different type of holes to help you adjust your urine stream, kind of like my garden hose attachment. Anyone willing to put this on layaway for me?

https://www.saksoff5th.com/product/rick ... knWfZG0zPA
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 07 Aug 22, 01:09Post
When I saw the link, I thought it was some parody site. I clicked it and learned that the site, and the item, are legit! {sigh} {vsad}
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Oct 22, 22:40Post
I have an Amazon Echo Show. Being a Star Trek fan, I changed it's "wake word" from "Alexa" to "Computer." Usually, I don't have any issues watching the various Star Trek franchise shows. Most of the time, it doesn't understand the command.

Last night, while watching Star Trek: Lower Decks, it heard "Computer, Arch" but interpreted it as "Computer, Fart." So, it played a fart sound, then recommended that next time, I ask for a cheesy fart.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 06 Nov 22, 23:59Post
So, about a month ago, on a not so rainy Wednesday, my Mazda CX5 became totally useless (after making the ultimate sacrifice):

knotgoode.jpg
knotgoode.jpg (242.81 KiB) Viewed 1673 times

The other driver was found at fault by law enforcement. Their insurance concurred. My insurance declared my vehicle a total loss. I'm now driving a 2019 Ford Ranger. Medical treatments are still in progress and a final settlement is pending the completion of said treatment.
fiatstilojtd 08 Nov 22, 13:01Post
Would have been more suitable for the "Fail" thread.

The current Rudolf Dassler aka PUMA CEO will become the new Adolf Dassler aka ADIDAS CEO on the 1st January 2023.

Obviously they forgot a competition clause in the contract....
Non vitae sed scholae discimus