You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

The State Of The...Your Job!

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Dec 21, 18:37Post
Today was my first day of being hot, wet and tethered, at least professionally. Thankfully I wasn't alone, there were two other guys present.

A million great ideas...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 Dec 21, 18:34Post
So you stick to what you know is right, or collect a paycheck? I choose to do what's right. So now I am out of a job. Shitty time to do it, but there you have it.

Looking at some airline jobs, some MRO jobs, and even going on my own.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Dec 21, 20:59Post
miamiair wrote:So you stick to what you know is right, or collect a paycheck? I choose to do what's right. So now I am out of a job. Shitty time to do it, but there you have it.

You'll be back in the saddle in no time, and with a clear conscience. Enjoy the downtime while you can {thumbsup}
A million great ideas...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Dec 21, 21:30Post
JLAmber wrote:...and with a clear conscience....

Huge.

Good luck Vic.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 17 Dec 21, 03:55Post
Dittos reference the above.

Ya gotta be able to look yourself in the mirror.
Make Orwell fiction again.
DXing 18 Dec 21, 02:01Post
Good luck Vic, I'm positive that with your knowledge and experience the job search will short. Just because a lot of people are looking for work doesn't mean a lot of "good" people are looking and the smart operators can sense that.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Fumanchewd 28 Dec 21, 00:34Post
miamiair wrote:So you stick to what you know is right, or collect a paycheck? I choose to do what's right. So now I am out of a job. Shitty time to do it, but there you have it.

I think there is alot of hiring in the industry right now for your line of work. Numbers have been going up and places are stretched because of all of the previous layoffs and early retirements. I think you can find something quick.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 21 Jan 22, 16:41Post
Two weeks into working two jobs: I don't like it.

I love my job at "the Hilton" (recently got a 7% raise too). I'm growing to like my job at the FBO. My new coworkers seem like a great group, my supervisor there is pretty chill too. I'm averaging 4.5 miles per day there, so the goal of getting more exercise is most certainly in the bag.

However, working 15hr days, four days a week (doesn't sound like a lot) is not fun...at all. My primary job being a graveyard shift is responsible for most of the lack of fun. Ironically, when I move to dayshift there (there is a retirement and a resignation coming up, freeing two spots) I may not be able to continue the part-time job at the airport, due to shift scheduling.

I have two active applications open, one at APA in Ops and another at DEN in Dispatch (Public Safety). No idea where APA sits, as it's been a month with no word (which probably means rejection). I've applied multiple times for Dispatch at DEN and my current application sits at "Next Level Review." This is the highest level my application for this job has reached, but I'm not holding my breath. Also I'm not sure that working this job will give me the "airport operations" experience I need, but it's always easier to move laterally within an organization than it is to enter from the outside. In theory at least.

I'm considering reapplying for Ops at DEN with an updated application mentioning my FBO experience though I doubt two weeks will really make a difference.

I'm mentally prepared to do this for the next five years. Physically? I'm taking it one week at a time and, fortunately, I don't "need" the money from Job 2, or "J-2" to survive.
Mark 21 Jan 22, 20:10Post
ShyFlyer wrote:and another at DEN in Dispatch (Public Safety).

I've applied multiple times for Dispatch at DEN and my current application sits at "Next Level Review." This is the highest level my application for this job has reached, but I'm not holding my breath.

I used to be a 911 operator/dispatcher. It's a hell of a nice job, but it can get a little stressful when you've got to dispatch 911 EMS to a critical patient while you have three other calls on hold... and your partner is just as tied up as you are.

One of the bad things about public safety dispatch is that EVERYONE who I've known over the years who did it gained weight... a lot of it.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 22 Jan 22, 17:54Post
Mark wrote:It's a hell of a nice job, but it can get a little stressful...

Of this I'm aware. "J-1" can get like that at times. It's not my preferred pathway into Ops, but should I be granted an interview, it'll be at the top of my list of questions.

ShyFlyer wrote:No idea where APA sits, as it's been a month with no word (which probably means rejection).

APA has reopened the job announcement with a revised closing date. Looks like I'm out of the running on that one.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jan 22, 22:02Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
Mark wrote:It's a hell of a nice job, but it can get a little stressful...

Of this I'm aware. "J-1" can get like that at times. It's not my preferred pathway into Ops, but should I be granted an interview, it'll be at the top of my list of questions.

My youngest SIL has just started working as an emergency dispatcher. She's not mentally the strongest person and we're more than a little concerned about how it will impact her but she's confident she can handle it, only time will tell. Seems like a tough job.

Mark wrote:One of the bad things about public safety dispatch is that EVERYONE who I've known over the years who did it gained weight... a lot of it.

Caffeine and Haribo on the night shift so I'm told.

I'm still getting wet, more often than not warm and tethered too as it is winter. Not currently in my preferred location due to chronic staff shortages but it's interesting bouncing between three sites and applying knowledge gained from one to the other(s). Buses of air are hiring again and , as a few have mentioned it on social media, no. Not a chance!
A million great ideas...
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 28 Jan 22, 03:51Post
JLAmber wrote:Seems like a tough job.

It is. Even though it's just for DEN, with the amount of passengers that pass through not to mention the number of employees, its essentially a dispatch center for a moderately sized city with a 150K ~ 200K average daily population.

My current job (J-1) doesn't match that level of intensity, but I do have experience with critical incidents. The type where, when you drive home you take the long way...under the speed limit...with the radio off.
Mark 28 Jan 22, 13:06Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I've applied multiple times for Dispatch at DEN and my current application sits at "Next Level Review." This is the highest level my application for this job has reached, but I'm not holding my breath. Also I'm not sure that working this job will give me the "airport operations" experience I need, but it's always easier to move laterally within an organization than it is to enter from the outside. In theory at least.

I have several friends who work or have worked in public safety dispatching, including the former chief of the MSP Communications Center. Curiously, the most difficult (or should I say busy) public safety dispatching job in and around Minneapolis/St. Paul happens to be located at the Metropolitan Airports Commission Emergency Communications Center at the MSP airport.

MSP dispatchers do the usual dispatching for Airport Police Department, Allina Health Emergency Medical Service intra-airport EMS teams, airport-based Allina ambulances, and Airport Fire Department, which responds not only to aircraft emergencies, but also structure and vehicle fires and all other fires on MSP property. The communications center also appears to oversee TSA communications and monitors various alarms at MSP.

I hear that MSP dispatching jobs pay $45,000 to $65,000 per year to start.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/minneapol ... yJobs=true

https://www.salary.com/job/metropolitan ... 6b67666121
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 20 Feb 22, 17:55Post
So my Airport Ops application was rejected. It reached "Next Level Review" which I assume is one step above review by HR and from which candidates for interview are chosen. It's frustrating since this position shares an incredible amount with my current job ("J-1") which I specifically highlighted in my application. (In bold below)

Controls a centralized communications center which includes monitoring and operating multiple computer systems such as two-way radio and voice communication consoles, fire alarm, runway surface sensor system, and CCTV system

Monitors, operates and controls computerized weather reporting systems to access, monitor and interpret weather conditions, and initiates airport-wide response

Accesses and operates a FAA computer system to transmit Notices to Airmen to report status of airfield conditions

Acts as the central coordination and communications center during airfield emergencies and snow events to coordinate airport-wide and external emergency responses. Staffs the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to support communications and coordination functions

Operates an automated communications console making and receiving calls in routine operations and non-routine operations and notifies appropriate response personnel

Monitors and controls a centralized security system to enforce Transportation Security Administration regulations and receives alarms and initiates appropriate airport response. Enforces Airport Security plan by issuing violation notices to airport employees for security violations

Maintains accurate and complete log book entries and manual records of airport events

Supports snow events by assisting airlines servicing DEN, airport operations and the ramp tower during deicing operations

Trains other employees in day to day procedures. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested

It's clear that even though Denver is getting desperate (there's a signing bonus & this job gets posted about once every four months), the following are apparently things they aren't willing to waive:

*Certified member of AAAE
*ACE Designation - Security, Operations or Communication
*Two (2) years of airline, fixed base operator, military aviation, air traffic control or airport experience.

That last item is easy, as I'm currently doing that and actually enjoy it. Joining AAAE seems to be a puzzle. It's expensive and I can't seem to find out if an individual can join. Membership seems to be limited to people working for an airport authority or companies with a direct role in airport management. An FBO doesn't seem to count.

In other news, my time on graveyard at "J-1" may coming to an early end. There is at least one position, maybe two, opening on Dayshift in April. If I do move to dayshift, I'll still be able to keep "J-2" but I'll likely have to work two of my three days off from "J-1." I'd trade four 15hr days for six 10hr days. Not really sure if that's a better deal or not.

I may not have a choice as the two individuals looking to be leaving are Training Officers and I, as a Training Officer, will be "encouraged" to take one of their spots. On Graveyard, they won't be assigning me trainees.
Fumanchewd 25 Feb 22, 06:52Post
Because of sanctions concerns we are cutting off all Russian based airlines and clients from our supply chain as of today and I understand that most others are as well. We aren't sure of the specifics of the sanctions as of yet, but we are fairly confident that this will be part of it. I hear that this is happening across the industry.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 25 Feb 22, 15:46Post
ShyFlyer wrote:That last item is easy, as I'm currently doing that and actually enjoy it. Joining AAAE seems to be a puzzle. It's expensive and I can't seem to find out if an individual can join. Membership seems to be limited to people working for an airport authority or companies with a direct role in airport management. An FBO doesn't seem to count.

Received an email from their membership services department that yes, and individual such as me can join.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 26 Feb 22, 14:39Post
Put my retirement papers in last week. It's time. :))
At home in the PNW and loving it
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Feb 22, 19:17Post
halls120 wrote:Put my retirement papers in last week. It's time. :))

{thumbsup}

Mrs ANC and I are out in July . . . game over or game on depending on your perspective. Congratulations.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 27 Feb 22, 19:20Post
ANCFlyer wrote:
halls120 wrote:Put my retirement papers in last week. It's time. :))

{thumbsup}

Mrs ANC and I are out in July . . . game over or game on depending on your perspective. Congratulations.

Good for both of you guys. {thumbsup}
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Feb 22, 12:18Post
This is the means of our escape . . . first stop will be friends in Virginia.

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
PA110 (Founding Member) 02 Mar 22, 00:51Post
ANCFlyer wrote:This is the means of our escape...

How are you going to get that beast to Hawaii?
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 02 Mar 22, 17:28Post
Lots of pool noodles.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Mark 02 Mar 22, 17:50Post
GQfluffy wrote:Lots of pool noodles.

{laugh}
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 02 Mar 22, 20:44Post
They're crap at being noodles and crap for playing pool with.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 03 Mar 22, 20:53Post
Pretty sure I could get that whole setup to float. The BAFDT might roll a bit in the currents but she'd be right. How hard can it be?

A million great ideas...