You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Worlds most expensive cities for expats

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

DXing 23 Jun 21, 07:50Post
I have to say, this surprised me. No mention of any gulf state cities, and the fact that London was as far down as it was.

"The Capitol of Turkmenistan in Central Asia has been named as the world's most expensive city for foreign workers"

[url] BBC News - Turkmenistan's capital tops list of most expensive cities for expats
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57564902 [/url]

Maybe Zak can explain it. Perhaps it's the title of the story that's confusing. Do they mean most expensive to live or just work? Seems rents alone would put Ashgabat to shame compared to London, Tokyo, Singapore, or Hong Kong.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Fumanchewd 23 Jun 21, 23:58Post
Some of these cities are third world countries that suddenly have precious metal/oil/resource booms, stretching all resources in their enemic supply chains, driving costs very high. Lagos comes to mind...

I did live in Singapore for a year though and that was ridiculous. A relatively small island with a thriving finance, manufacturing, export, and tourist market that was being bought up by newly rich China at alarming rates.

I think that I was there around 2010 and my 500 ft2 condo was $3,500 a month and workth $1.3 million. It was also in a part of town that was not the most desireable. Places like Clarke Quay were much more expensive.

To drive a car you needed to purchase a COE just to be allowed to own one, and the last I checked that alone was 30,000. A basic Hyundai was over 100,000. Then there is the high taxed alochol, a 6 pack was close to $20.

In the years after I left the COL has been going higher and higher too.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."