You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Aviation Photography

Any Particular Shots You Currently Love?

Discuss with fellow aviation photographers, and share your latest shots here.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Feb 10, 00:42Post
I recently found this one, and it's absolutely amazing. I wish I'd been around back then:

The best jets and best color schemes. Airlines now can't touch the colors of the past.
PlymSpotter (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 23 Feb 10, 00:50Post
This one is absoloutely stunning. Yes I know the colours have probably been enhanced a bit but, regardless, it's one of the best shots I've ever seen.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 23 Feb 10, 00:56Post
I really hate it when people do that. It's a beautiful shot, but I can't help feeling it would have been better still if it were more subtle. 'Course, it *may* have actually come out of the camera looking like that...
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 23 Feb 10, 01:01Post
PlymSpotter wrote:This one is absoloutely stunning. Yes I know the colours have probably been enhanced a bit but, regardless, it's one of the best shots I've ever seen.

Indeed, I saw that photo on the Finnish forums the day it was taken. The photo is like a dream, purely stunning! I'm abit devastated as I was supposed to be at the same airport, at the same location that day, however last minute issues popped up meaning I couldn't make it :(
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 23 Feb 10, 01:36Post
I have a serious thing for sunsets....

View photo on airliners.net 
Make Orwell fiction again.
davestan_ksan 23 Feb 10, 03:05Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I have a serious thing for sunsets....

That photographer has some awesome shots. Here's one that is just breathtaking:

John 16:33 | Gary Johnson 2012
Airfoilsguy (Founding Member) 23 Feb 10, 04:19Post
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 23 Feb 10, 08:41Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:I really hate it when people do that. It's a beautiful shot, but I can't help feeling it would have been better still if it were more subtle. 'Course, it *may* have actually come out of the camera looking like that...

Actually, I could imagine it indeed did. In Finland, in January, you can encounter such light situations.

Sometimes, light and colors are extreme. Take this shot, as example. The colors look like I totally juiced them - but I didn't. This shot is almost out of the box. A little cropping, correcting the levels, a little sharpening - that's it. The light was amazing that day, best lighting conditions I ever had at HAM.

Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 23 Feb 10, 10:56Post
Wow, I got to get to Finland.

I love this classic Concorde shot, with those big sad eyes:

My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 23 Feb 10, 11:16Post
I like this one:

And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
aloges (Founding Member) 23 Feb 10, 21:55Post
I've always loved winter action like this:

Air to air is always a treat as well, especially if it's as great as this one:

It's probably easy to spot that I'm a sucker for contrails as well so...

...yeah... {bugeye}
sosumi
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Feb 10, 04:56Post
Airfoilsguy wrote:Image

I like Eastern metal.

Why did Delta have a 727 in Germany?

JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 24 Feb 10, 05:19Post
Lucas wrote:Why did Delta have a 727 in Germany?

Back in the summer of 1990 my father flew TWA 727s based out of either TXL or FRA to and from various cities in continental Europe to connecting TWA transatlantic flights headed to JFK. After seeing that picture and reading your question, my first inclination was that Delta had the same thing going on to ATL or elsewhere and a quick Google search seems to have confirmed that:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/1883208/

For what it's worth, my father said he had a ball flying those routes.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Feb 10, 05:26Post
JeffSFO wrote:

Back in the summer of 1990 my father flew TWA 727s based out of either TXL or FRA to and from various cities in continental Europe to connecting TWA transatlantic flights headed to JFK. After seeing that picture and reading your question, my first inclination was that Delta had the same thing going on to ATL or elsewhere and a quick Google search seems to have confirmed that:

Wow, I'm a bit surprised that the countries were fine with that happening. Thanks for the information, I was really curious.
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 24 Feb 10, 05:44Post
Lucas wrote:
JeffSFO wrote:

Wow, I'm a bit surprised that the countries were fine with that happening. Thanks for the information, I was really curious.

No problem. They were feeder flights carrying all passengers to a connecting flight with a final destination in the US, not point-to-point flights within Europe, so they were allowed under existing agreements etc.
aloges (Founding Member) 24 Feb 10, 07:47Post

That 727 may be an ex-PA bird just like that A300/A310. PA in turn was one of the allied airlines flying to West Berlin, which German airlines weren't allowed to do during the Cold War. This lead to operations which might seem somewhat bizarre from today's POV, like a PA Express ATR at GWT:

All of this info would mean that the photo was taken in the early 1990s, 1991 or later, after PA had gone out of business but before DL as their successor stopped flying short haul from Berlin.

1994, apparently
sosumi
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Feb 10, 07:49Post
Wow, that PanAm picture is just...wow.

I'd give anything to be able to simply go back and experience various times in humanity's history.
aloges (Founding Member) 24 Feb 10, 08:05Post
Lucas wrote:Wow, that PanAm picture is just...wow.

That ATR was last seen in Nepal... it did get around! :))

(s/n is 129 as per the FAA registry)

Lucas wrote:I'd give anything to be able to simply go back and experience various times in humanity's history.

In a morbidly fascinating way, I agree. But one of my childhood memories (I grew up some 50 km from the FRG/GDR border) is a Leopard battle tank creeping over a crest in the forest track I was walking on with a friend - not a pleasant surprise when you're seven.
sosumi
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 24 Feb 10, 08:34Post
CO 752 out of EGE
Nosedive 24 Feb 10, 08:44Post
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 25 Feb 10, 13:56Post
Those who still have an a.net photog account may want to cast a vote for this awesome shot from mr chips:
Currently #5 in the Photogs's Choice voting.

I also like this one:
Will try that crop on one of my recent shots.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 25 Feb 10, 22:31Post
Zak wrote:Those who still have an a.net photog account may want to cast a vote for this awesome shot from mr chips:
Currently #5 in the Photogs's Choice voting.

Many thanks Stefan, amazingly it made it on to the front page on airliners.net, a big first for me.

As for my favourite shot, it's pretty damn hard to choose a shot, I quite like this recent one, again from the great airport of Helsinki, taken by Kalle Ahtola.

Dave
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 26 Feb 10, 15:10Post
mr chips wrote:Many thanks Stefan, amazingly it made it on to the front page on airliners.net, a big first for me.

Still there, and rightfully so. A great shot - very detailed, and with beautiful light and colors. Congratulations!
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 26 Feb 10, 17:45Post
Zak wrote:
mr chips wrote:Many thanks Stefan, amazingly it made it on to the front page on airliners.net, a big first for me.

Still there, and rightfully so. A great shot - very detailed, and with beautiful light and colors. Congratulations!

Great job, Dave. Congrats! {thumbsup}
NIKV69 26 Feb 10, 21:38Post
Hey Nosedive Kenny and Fred are friends of mine back in NY and will be very happy you clicked their work.

Fred is amazing and one of the best guys going, here is his site.

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/

As for me I can't stop looking at this. Epic.