You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Aviation Photography

Post Your Best Shot

Discuss with fellow aviation photographers, and share your latest shots here.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 20 Mar 20, 12:12Post
Simple enough, your best shot, and the story behind it.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
md88dawg 21 Mar 20, 03:27Post
On Flickr, this is a tie for 1st in number of faves, so I will choose this as my "best" in terms of reception. Of the three BA Retro 744s, this one has been my most frequently sighted one, in SEA, IAD, and LAX. During the Netairspace meet, we had this special guest, and I missed the arrival shot with forgetting to change from 100-400 to 70-200. On the departure, I was sure to be ready, and I learned not to break away too quickly, as *the* shot is not always the one you think it might be. The next day, the time changed by an hour, so I was very happy it worked out for this shot.

To catch this beauty departing with the golden sunset was a combination of factors in my favor, unlike D-ALCH that just retired. {mad} But that's a story for another day...

G-BYGC at Los Angeles - International
Yokes 21 Mar 20, 10:39Post
Difficult to decide for one picture.

This is my most viewed shot:

The rest of Air Canadas famous Gimli Glider stored in Mojave. Picture taken in 2016, no idea if there is anything of this aircraft left now.

This is my mosted "loved" shot. SXM from a different view. Climbed the hill for that picture, but the road was so steep that the car broke down and I had to work the rest.

One of the pictures I personally really like is this:

Not used MD11 were stored on a taxiway during christmas days 2012. A view which sadly will be possible again soon these days, only with more and different aircrafts.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 21 Mar 20, 10:53Post

Not a great one technically, being from 2005 from when I only had a bridge camera, but I still love it for the precision on display against a rare blue(ish) sky in the UK. At the time I think it hit the top spot on A.net which was a big deal at the time!

More recently this one, for similar reasons - my camera and editing have moved on, but nothing beats timing when everything just works with lighting being right and the split second moment catching loads of detail and interest.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 21 Mar 20, 14:14Post
Both my most viewed and most loved shot:

I'd been out a week or so before and almost had the shot line up, so tried again a few days in a row and finally nailed it. Between the barbed wire, the industrial-strength mosquitoes, and the vicious horseflies, I paid for it.

And ever since, I've wanted to do a spotting-almanac app, combining sun and moon position with arrival and departure feeds to help calculate when you're most likely to have things lined up. Like I'll ever get time for that...

A different kind of suffering with these two, but again I think it paid off:

The approach shot was the first time I'd ever tried anything like it, the northern lights played ball (sort of), and it all came together. I disappeared up to my balls in a snow drift, so I'm glad I got something out of it. While scouting out locations, the Arctic Airlink was on a visual approach and asked for the runway lighting to be turned up. I was treated to the full glare of the approach lights for a few moments. Apart from the snow, it felt like I was in - no, let me rephrase that - it felt like a scene from Heat.

The Embraer shot, that was painful. It was well below -20C, he was an hour late, and even through two pairs of gloves it hurt to hold the metal lens. Whatever lubricant is in it didn't like it much either, and the batteries only worked because I stuffed them in my armpits while waiting for this guy - the only flight all afternoon - to show up. You can just see some pinkish light at the top of the trees; it was agonising, watching that creep across the runway and up the trees while Finnair sorted their lives out. All things considered, I'm pleased with the result.

Personal favourites, both mediocre shots where I got lucky on the edit:

For the Concorde shot, I had to "borrow" a traffic cone and stand with one foot on that and one on a convenient planter, just to get the damned lamp post out of the way. Now, of course, you can't get near her.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
merzbrueck 21 Mar 20, 20:28Post
My most viewed shot is this.

The story behind this picture is really simple. Actually I was at CGN for another aircraft and this Airbus A400M was a gladly bycatch.

Two shots, also from Cologne/Bonn, which I personally really like are these two.

This two aircrafts were the reasons because I went to CGN and both arrived some days before Christmas Eve in different years so they were premature christmas presents.

And two shots from the category "I never thought that I will ever get this in my life"

The Basler is from Corfu and when I saw the aircraft in the distance I thought its an ATP but when I really saw the aircraft I could not belive what I really catched.
The israeli 707-Tanker is from Cologne/Bonn and is also an catch made by accident
vikkyvik 25 Mar 20, 19:39Post
Most viewed:

Most loved:

Tough to pick a personal favorite, but possibly this one:

Nothing much to it...settings were already dialed in to shoot into the sun; just a combo of the right place at the right time with the right clouds...and a very quick realization that I better hit the shutter!

Or maybe this one:

Back when I used to spend long, cold hours in that park shooting long exposures.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 26 Mar 20, 05:29Post
Oh, so many photos that I need to edit and upload, especially from the 2019 LAX Meet. {vsad} I have the time, just still not getting results I should from the editing process on my iMac.

Anyway, here are some noteworthy shots of mine...

Most "Loved"

"Airabelle, The Flying Cow" during the 2011 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. Special Shape balloons are quite popular at Balloon Fiesta and Airabelle is no exception. She tends to fly only when the winds are very favorable.

Airabelle is the balloon version of Creamland Dairy's mascot.

Most "Views" (as of 25 MAR 2020)

Not one of my best as far as lighting, editing, and what not. I think the bulk of the views are do to the shot getting exposure on the front page.

Highest "AvB Score" (as of 25 MAR 2020)

Not much to say about this one, other than I think it was from the first time I visited a spot just south of APA to photograph arrivals to the 35s.

Personal Favorite

I like how "busy" this photo looks, given how quiet ABQ can be at times.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 27 Mar 20, 00:31Post
My best shot? Sunsets, SXM shots, the An-225 are all nice.

But one of my best shots was a product of pure coincidence. Ed, John and me were just crossing the pedestrian bridge at Hatton Cross, on our way to the Green Man, on a day when spotting seemed impossible.

A QF A380 took off at that moment, and I just grabbed my camera and fired away in the very second it disappeared in a huge self-created condensation cloud.

"Cloak of Invisibility".
Still one of my favourite shots until today.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Caroline 28 Mar 20, 12:31Post
Hi,

I wanted to go to Madrid to catch the mighty Aerosur 747. Booked flights in April 2010 and couldn't go as air traffic was suspended due to the ash cloud.
Was still kinda lucky as it was rainy the whole Weekend.

Rebooked to June and sat there on the hill, in intense heat, waiting for the big cow. Sun got lower and lower and still no sign of the 747. And then she appeared and turned onto the runway while the sun was setting behind a mountain and disappeared.

And I was happy as I got the Aerosur in the best possible conditions.

Almost 10 years later and I still love the shot.

Cheers Lina
airtrainer 28 Mar 20, 14:17Post
Some of my favs

Grounded...
Yokes 09 Apr 20, 08:29Post

My latest shot I really like. Went to the construction area of the new terminal 3 in FRA. Dont know if its allowed to go there, but there were no fences. Was looking for a possibility to take shots of the stored 747s there, when I saw the sun setting right behind.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 09 Apr 20, 13:52Post
FRA, sunsets and Jochen - a good combination for sure! {thumbsup}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Yokes 09 Apr 20, 14:43Post
Zak wrote:FRA, sunsets and Jochen - a good combination for sure! {thumbsup}

Haha, thanks. I remember that shot on the first NAS FRA meet in 2013:

:))