You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Aviation Photography

FLAP 2020 16-18JAN20

Discuss with fellow aviation photographers, and share your latest shots here.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 23 Sep 19, 11:38Post
Greetings all, FLAP 2020 will take place a month earlier than last year.

Registration will open 1200 on 01 OCT 19.

A link will be provided 72 hours prior.

I hope the usual suspects can make it.
Last edited by miamiair on 23 Sep 19, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised date
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
TNCB 23 Sep 19, 12:47Post
In the Florida Aviation Photography group on FB it's listed as 16-18 JAN. Which one is correct?
I'm planning to attend and it would be good to know for planning purposes of the remainder of my holiday.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 23 Sep 19, 12:57Post
TNCB wrote:In the Florida Aviation Photography group on FB it's listed as 16-18 JAN. Which one is correct?
I'm planning to attend and it would be good to know for planning purposes of the remainder of my holiday.

I added 19 because it is the weekend(Sunday) Some people will still get together and shoot some more. Officially, it does end on Saturday night with dinner at Shorty's BBQ. I'll revise the date in the thread to avoid any confusion.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
TNCB 23 Sep 19, 12:57Post
Ah, that makes sense :) Thanks for the info!
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 23 Sep 19, 14:09Post
Won't be able to make this, I have no leave left for next year!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
airtrainer 23 Sep 19, 16:50Post
I'm likely out for next year :(
Grounded...
Yokes 23 Sep 19, 17:49Post
airtrainer wrote:I'm likely out for next year :(

Probably out too. {vsad}
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 23 Sep 19, 22:37Post
The usual suspects are dropping like flies...
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 24 Sep 19, 17:47Post
Well...darn. Darn it all to heck. {vsad}

Those dates are right at the tail end of "Transition Week" (from one bid period to the next) and the only leave approvable is emergency stuff.

Things may change so this fly isn't ready to drop. Yet. I hope.
Make Orwell fiction again.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 01 Oct 19, 11:21Post
Reminder: Registration for FLAP 2020 opens today, 01 OCT 19 at 12:00 Miami time.

Link to registration.
TNCB 01 Oct 19, 19:27Post
Ok, question. As I'm not from the US, I filled in the ESTA application form. It said 'travel not authorized'. I'm thinking this is due to me checking "yes" to the question if I've ever been to XYZ country after 2011. I've been to North Korea in 2013.

Now I could try to get a visa through the embassy in Amsterdam, but I know that it still doesn't guarantee I'll be let into the country. So before I spend 2K Euro's on commitments, is anyone able to offer any insight in how likely (or not) I'll be granted access?
Yokes 01 Oct 19, 20:38Post
TNCB wrote:Ok, question. As I'm not from the US, I filled in the ESTA application form. It said 'travel not authorized'. I'm thinking this is due to me checking "yes" to the question if I've ever been to XYZ country after 2011. I've been to North Korea in 2013.

Now I could try to get a visa through the embassy in Amsterdam, but I know that it still doesn't guarantee I'll be let into the country. So before I spend 2K Euro's on commitments, is anyone able to offer any insight in how likely (or not) I'll be granted access?

That should normally not be a big problem to get a visa if thats the only reason why you got declined. Would be more difficuld if you had to do with drugs or something like that. After you apply for a visa you´ll be invited to an interview to the embassy. They´ll ask you some questions, for example why you travled to North Korea, and if you have the right answers you´ll get the visa. Best thing is just to be honest.
TNCB 01 Oct 19, 21:07Post
Oh yeah, I would of course do as described above. It's just that when I go through immigration at MIA, they can refuse entry (atleast that's what they write). I'm not concerned getting the visa, I'm concerned having the visa and still being denied entry on the spot.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 01 Oct 19, 23:19Post
Several guys have been to the DPRK. That shouldn't be an issue.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 01 Oct 19, 23:19Post
Several guys have been to the DPRK. That shouldn't be an issue.
TNCB 02 Oct 19, 15:51Post
Many thanks!
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 02 Oct 19, 17:57Post
TNCB wrote:Ok, question. As I'm not from the US, I filled in the ESTA application form. It said 'travel not authorized'. I'm thinking this is due to me checking "yes" to the question if I've ever been to XYZ country after 2011. I've been to North Korea in 2013.

Just to check, but I think my ESTA did the same - it's not to say it won't be authorised, it just means at the time you've checked it hasn't been granted. 48 hours after application I checked again and all was well.

Though I haven't been to the DPRK!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
TNCB 02 Oct 19, 18:30Post
Well that would be an epic fail on my part then. But in my case, within minutes it went from 'pending' to 'travel not authorized' (and currently still is). I just found the statusses here: https://www.esta-online.org/esta-visa-status/

I made a visa appointment at the embassy in Amsterdam this afternoon, unfortunately the earliest date available was nov 7. So I will have to hold off on many bookings until then. Kind of annoying (not to mention the extra costs), but so be it.

I did also find the info I was looking for months ago, buried in all the sites and pages of the US government:
Travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):

Nationals of VWP countries who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia and Yemen on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions for travel for diplomatic or military purposes in the service of a VWP country).

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internationa ... er-program

Not sure when that was added. I find it very confusing, as all my online searching AND many official USgov pages do not mention the DPRK in the list of countries, but the ESTA form itself and the page above do. To illustrate, it took me 20 minutes of searching to find the page again that does list it. Then again, maybe I didn't search well enough, I don't know.

If I had found that earlier, I would've probably set this all in motion long ago already. But nothing much I can do about it, so I'll take this as an interesting learning experience and a better understanding of how the US immigration stuff works.

Anyway, sorry for the 'rant/excess information that most people will not care about. But perhaps it can be of use to someone in the future.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 02 Oct 19, 18:57Post
They have definitely changed it some time in the last few years, used to be that you'd bash your card details in and instantly see "authorised", but now you have to wait. Sounds like what Martin's talking about... which is indeed different from "not authorised".
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Yokes 03 Oct 19, 08:06Post
TNCB wrote:
I made a visa appointment at the embassy in Amsterdam this afternoon, unfortunately the earliest date available was nov 7. So I will have to hold off on many bookings until then. Kind of annoying (not to mention the extra costs), but so be it.

Keep us updated how the appointment was. Very interesting, as North Korea is also on my travel list.
airtrainer 03 Oct 19, 22:35Post
I know someone who had to aply for a visa after visiting North Korea, he said that the process was easy and he had no problem afterward.
Back to the visa / ESTA thing, neither of them actually guarantees you access on the US soil, only the immigration officer at the port of entry will let you in (only'
failing to have a valid visa / ESTA will prevent you to board the aircraft, something you probably know already). And since it is the standard procedure to apply for a visa when the ESTA is denied I don't think it will be an issue. I've been asked silly questions at immigration in the past but it's usually easy and relaxed.
Have fun at FLAP, you won't be disappointed ;)
Grounded...
TNCB 04 Oct 19, 15:27Post
Yeah, that's what I failed to properly realize in the beginning. Right now my mind is much more at ease and I'm sure it will be fine too :)

Yokes wrote:dated how the appointment was. Very interesting, as North Korea is also on my travel list.

Will do!
TNCB 08 Nov 19, 15:47Post
Yokes wrote:Keep us updated how the appointment was.

It was a breeze. Most time spent waiting. They asked me some of 'the usual' questions and at the end the lady said my visa was approved and that my passport will come back to me (with)in about 5 working days. The whole 'interview' lasted 5-10 mins max.

So mid-next week I can finally start booking my flights, car rentals and all other stuff.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 08 Nov 19, 17:16Post
Excellent.

We'll see you soon.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jan 20, 11:26Post
A week out. Looking forward to seeing new faces. One-third are first timers.