You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Aviation Photography

Upscaling photos

Discuss with fellow aviation photographers, and share your latest shots here.

mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 20 Feb 19, 16:58Post
I recently invested in a new, 28 inch monitor with a native resolution of 3840*2160.

Photos look great on the monitor at a resolution of 1800*1200, however when I upload them here and view them at full size, they expand beyond 1800px to about 2700*1800 which appears to cause a loss in quality.

Is this a netAirspace upscale (ie is everyone seeing the same scale boost and loss of quality) or something Chrome is doing to avoid rendering my browser at my native resolution? And if this is the case, does it mean that the images I'm uploading that look good on my screen aren't as high quality as I believe them to be?
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 20 Feb 19, 17:39Post
They should be maximum 900px across in regular, and the as-uploaded width in full view. We're not doing anything that should be upscaling the photos.

Silly question: Have you accidentally bumped the scaling up in Chrome? Hitting Ctrl-plus will do that, Ctrl-minus will downscale. Ctrl-zero will reset it to the default - try that first.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 20 Feb 19, 17:50Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Silly question: Have you accidentally bumped the scaling up in Chrome? Hitting Ctrl-plus will do that, Ctrl-minus will downscale. Ctrl-zero will reset it to the default - try that first.

No, it's at 100%. I know Windows does scale some apps/programs to 150% to avoid text and menus becoming tiny, and I suspect this is what is happening here; it just has this unintended side effect on images. In turn it makes me wonder whether this might be having a similar effect on images I'm screening, though it seems these are presented at native resolution.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 20 Feb 19, 18:15Post
Yay, Windows. 10, I assume? I haven't had the "pleasure" of using that yet.

Maybe something here will help: https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/f ... on-win-10/
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 20 Feb 19, 18:22Post
Correct ;)

Will have a look, thanks.