You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Aviation Photography

The Heads Up Thread

Discuss with fellow aviation photographers, and share your latest shots here.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 21 Jul 14, 19:47Post
That'd be a great catch!
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 23 Jul 14, 09:05Post
Turns out it went late last night, around 11.50 - noise abatement be damned!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jul 14, 10:27Post
mhodgson wrote:Turns out it went late last night, around 11.50 - noise abatement be damned!

I found out yesterday morning but forgot to post, that was a surprise that it was allowed to go out so late.

If you want to catch a flynas A330 at MAN, you need to hurry. As suspected, the temporary suspension of service announced last month has now become a permanent cancellation and the last flight will be 02nd Aug. Further ticket sales have been transferred to a codeshare with Etihad.
A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jul 14, 13:36Post
TK are sending an A343 to MAN 25th Aug, and A330 daily for the first week of September.
A million great ideas...
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 28 Jul 14, 03:07Post
For the next few weeks TK is sending a A343 to IAH instead of the 77W.

We're also getting a one-off Ethiopian 767 on 7/29 at 9pm leaving 7/31 at 8p.
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 01 Aug 14, 05:30Post
Southwest's Shamu frames are going extinct at the end of the year in case you like the livery:
SeaWorld, Southwest Airlines Ending Partnership

Southwest Airlines and SeaWorld Entertainment are ending their 25-year-old marketing partnership, officials with both companies said Thursday, as the airline has been urged by animal rights activists to terminate the relationship.

The partnership won't be renewed at the end of the year when the current contract expires. As part of the partnership, three Southwest airplanes had various SeaWorld animals painted on their bodies. Those planes will be painted over to Southwest's traditional look. SeaWorld also had Southwest signs in its parks, and Southwest offered vacation packages to SeaWorld, as it does to other tourist destinations. The vacation packages will continue.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/seaworld-southwest-airlines-ending-partnership-24792113

CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 01 Aug 14, 13:58Post
{thumbsdown} {thumbsdown}
vikkyvik 04 Aug 14, 23:57Post
JeffSFO wrote:Southwest's Shamu frames are going extinct at the end of the year in case you like the livery:

Thanks for the plug!

To be honest, they're not my favorite liveries. They don't come close to the state liveries, or AS' Disney liveries. But I could be saying that because I've never gotten the Shamus in good light, and am slightly bitter about it.

Anyway.

There was a Qatar A318/A319 parked at LAX on Saturday. Since it was on the GA ramp, I didn't get to shoot it. Don't know if it's still there.

Also, Etihad has started flying the 77L to LAX. Was previously the 345.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Aug 14, 00:06Post
vikkyvik wrote:There was a Qatar A318/A319 parked at LAX on Saturday. Since it was on the GA ramp, I didn't get to shoot it. Don't know if it's still there.

A319LR being refitted with a swanky new 40-seat all-business cabin for the new DOH-LHR premium service.
A million great ideas...
vikkyvik 06 Aug 14, 20:31Post
JLAmber wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:There was a Qatar A318/A319 parked at LAX on Saturday. Since it was on the GA ramp, I didn't get to shoot it. Don't know if it's still there.

A319LR being refitted with a swanky new 40-seat all-business cabin for the new DOH-LHR premium service.

Interesting! Any idea what company handles that?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Aug 14, 11:13Post
vikkyvik wrote:
JLAmber wrote:

Interesting! Any idea what company handles that?

I've had a look around but can't find any info. I know there are a few companies that do refits out of LAX, but I suspect the likes of Qatar like to be discreet about such things. They have now one permanent 40 seat all business A319, and another that can be swapped between 40 seats and 110 seats.
A million great ideas...
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 07 Aug 14, 11:33Post
JLAmber wrote:

I flew a QR A319LR some years ago on a sector where it needed every last gasp of its long range performance for all of the 40 mins between DOH and AUH :))

One for the MIA spotters (possibly covering whenever the big spotters meet my be) - AF is going to send the A380 daily on the Miami route from December through to March.

And for the LHR people, LOT will be sending the 787 on its afternoon flights on Thursdays and Fridays through September and October this year.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Sep 14, 19:49Post
What's going on in the HAM area that would require most of Europe's aerial TV camera capable aircraft to have headed out that way? I noticed a few going over on FR24 earlier, and Sven Grimpe has uploaded shots of a couple more arriving at HAM today.
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 02 Sep 14, 20:32Post
No idea - maybe an A350 event? Transaero will also get their first A380 shortly, but I doubt that would cause such a ruckus.

I asked around in our local spotter forum if anybody knew anything.

If something spectacular happens, tomorrow late afternoon / early evening would be a great time, will be at the airport to pick up a visitor who's arriving on the evening EK flight.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Sep 14, 20:54Post
Zak wrote:No idea - maybe an A350 event? Transaero will also get their first A380 shortly, but I doubt that would cause such a ruckus.

They're usually seen at sporting events like the major cycling tours, triathlons, marathons etc.

These are the two we have shots of arriving today:

Ravenair also have another of their camera-equipped Partenavia P-68s in the HAM area.
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 02 Sep 14, 20:54Post
If neither of you know, I guess it isn't David v Goliath: Tarmac Smackdown. :))
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 02 Sep 14, 21:16Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:If neither of you know, I guess it isn't David v Goliath: Tarmac Smackdown. :))

Nah, we had to postpone that one, after JL caught a mysterious kneecap injury on the flight over here. {mischief}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 03 Sep 14, 04:37Post
Zak wrote:
ShanwickOceanic wrote:If neither of you know, I guess it isn't David v Goliath: Tarmac Smackdown. :))

Nah, we had to postpone that one, after JL caught a mysterious kneecap injury on the flight over here. {mischief}

{rotfl} Remind me not to sit next to you two on a plane... or better yet, remind me to sit close and pick a good angle for the video :))
Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
vikkyvik 03 Sep 14, 04:45Post
FlyingAce wrote:
Zak wrote:

{rotfl} Remind me not to sit next to you two on a plane... or better yet, remind me to sit close and pick a good angle for the video :))

If you sit in front of them, you get to throw a drink on them!
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 03 Sep 14, 05:16Post
Stop diverting this thread, or I'll recline my seat on you! {mischief}

Zak wrote:I asked around in our local spotter forum if anybody knew anything.

Doesn't look like it. We had a cycling race 10 days ago, and no public event seems to be scheduled here that would require that kind of equipment.

A new heads-up to the MIA crowd: Interjet will start flying their new Sukhoi Superjets into MIA in mid October.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 03 Sep 14, 05:57Post
Zak wrote:no public event seems to be scheduled here that would require that kind of equipment.

Maybe some updated Google Maps imagery coming?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Sep 14, 18:26Post
One for JeffSfo - BA commence LHR-SFO A380 services 5x weekly from March 29th 2015.

Anybody in the IAD area, BA's LHR-IAD service has just been confirmed as moving over to the A380 from 2nd October 2014 after a couple of small delays to the changeover.
A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 May 15, 20:52Post
If anybody is around MAN tomorrow there's the extremely rare chance to catch a Nigerian Air Force Dornier/Dassault Alpha Jet visiting after leg one of their convoluted delivery flight - onwards to Portugal, then LPA, then Nigeria by all accounts, flying a shiny new fighter over North Africa at ferry speed being a no-no at the moment.

Due in around 1100BST, then out around an hour later after crew rest and refuel is the latest info.
A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 Sep 15, 16:48Post
Did anybody get to MAN to catch the AN-124 arrival? It was one of the Antonov house birds in the newer, AN-225-style, paint scheme:

A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 15 Sep 15, 07:32Post
If you're in the south-east of England, then today's a good day to catch some Spitfires and stuff:

http://www.battleofbritainday.co.uk/#!routes/c1px

I just got an email from someone at the UK site I collaborate with, apparently one section will be routing right overhead {hissy}