You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Air Force One Photo Op Triggers Panic in Manhattan

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 02 May 09, 04:22Post
captoveur wrote:I am pretty sure I read somewhere NYPD was informed a few days in advance.

If their department is anything like mine the notification was sitting in some Captains email inbox untouched, or was forwarded to 8 million people who didn't need it- and never made it to the people who did need it.

Yeah, but from what I understand was that they were instructed not to divulge that info to the public. It was under the guise that movements of the VC-25 needed to be kept hush-hush. Guess no one thought to word the memo to read "large military aircraft." Seems ambiguous enough to me since "large military aircraft" covers any number of aircraft in the inventory and doesn't immediately bring to mind images of the Presidential transport. The super sekret squirrel types get their security and the knee jerk panic reactionaries get their piece of mind.
Make Orwell fiction again.
GPIARFF (Founding Member) 02 May 09, 18:10Post
I have been in Mahattan a couple of times when lots of USAF/USN planes were flying low. They have done "parades" low over the bay and up the Hudson for fleetweek and for events at the Enterprise. I am pretty sure that a memo stating "large Military Aircraft flying low" wouldn't have gotten much notice in the NYPD.