You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Aircraft Collision At Haneda

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 02 Jan 24, 12:32Post
Developing

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/02/asia/jap ... index.html

Everyone on the passenger a/c got out safely, but reportedly not so for five out of six on an earthquake relief a/c.
bhmbaglock 02 Jan 24, 14:34Post
First A350 w/o?
DXing 03 Jan 24, 10:51Post
A day later it's obvious the JAL crew did a fantastic job on short notice. It's one thing to have plenty of advance notice of an emergency landing where crew and pax can mentally prepare for a possible evacuation. Quite another to have it thrust upon you at a moments notice. Kudos to all on-board for keeping calm, the crew for issuing clear instructions and passengers for following them.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
DXing 03 Jan 24, 10:54Post
I wonder what the impact angle was that the JAL lost its nose gear but not at least one of the mains?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 03 Jan 24, 16:33Post
Preliminary reports suggest that the Dash 8 was instructed to hold short of 34R and instead taxied onto the runway.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/34 ... spN_qs4jaQ

translated from Japanese, actual phraseology may differ:
416039627_745703087589733_6093820414031066433_n.jpg
416039627_745703087589733_6093820414031066433_n.jpg (192.2 KiB) Viewed 2745 times

This is very similar (but not identical) to the incident at KLAX back in 1991, were a USAir 737 collided with a SkyWest Metro on 24R. In that incident, the Metro was cleared into position on 24R, but not cleared for takeoff. The controller became distracted, forgot about the Metro, and cleared the 737 to land.

https://www.faa.gov/lessons_learned/tra ... nts/N388US

Procedures in place at LAX allowed ground traffic to communicate directly with the local controller, bypassing the ground controller. The Skywest flight, having followed this process, was cleared into position on the runway, ready to make an intersection takeoff, but had not yet been cleared for takeoff. In searching for the associated progress strip, the local controller became preoccupied, and forgot the Skywest flight that was waiting on the runway. The controller subsequently cleared the USAir flight for landing, where it collided with the Skywest flight. Tower procedures did provide redundancy for lapses in controller attention or memory, allowing a human error to lead to the accident.
Make Orwell fiction again.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 03 Jan 24, 17:13Post
Another ruh-roh moment.

Was JAL cleared to land? CG was directed to line up and wait (my words).
to quote our illustrious leader, "What could possibly go wrong?"
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 04 Jan 24, 14:25Post
I've thought for a while that the next big one would be a runway collision, but I expected it to be in the US.

While the A350 has clearly performed brilliantly in keeping everyone alive, aided in no small part by a good crew and compliant passengers, it's extremely fortunate that this wasn't airliner-on-airliner. Otherwise we could well have been looking at another Tenerife in terms of casualties. Not just from having twice as many people involved, but the size difference here was such that sheer momentum will have helped the A350 cut through that Dash like a hot knife through butter. Had it tripped over another A350, or worse A380, I think we'd be looking at mass casualties on both aircraft.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
paul mcallister 04 Jan 24, 23:46Post
Additionally, it appears the stop bar lights for taxiway C5 (and other taxiways) was unserviceable, as per Notam published on December 25: "STOP-BAR-LGT FOR C1 THRU C14-U/S".