You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Comparison UA vs AA Premium Economy

All about Airlines and Airliners.

PA110 (Founding Member) 19 Dec 23, 17:01Post
I recently flew United's Premium Plus IAH-LIM-IAH and had a chance to compare it to pre-pandemic American's Premium Economy MIA-BUE-MIA.

Both UA and AA use identical seats with identical pitch, but UA edges out AA on service.

While they both use plastic cups for the initial drink service, the dinner tray comes with a proper wine glass on UA, whereas AA sticks with plastic.

The quality of meals was about equal on both UA and AA. However, UA flight attendants not only made eye contact but were genuinely friendly and helpful. AA flight attendants couldn't be bothered and were about as disinterested and disengaged as you could possibly imagine.

UA amenity kits were better and more well-stocked than AA's, and the Saks Fifth Avenue pillows and blankets were superior to American's offering.

All in all, there wasn't a huge difference between the two, but UA's attention to the little details, and genuinely more friendly flight attendants made a huge difference in the overall impression.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 19 Dec 23, 17:50Post
AA Cabin crew is horrible, in all classes.

Post-Covid service has hit rock bottom. Where pre-covid you would get a pass of drinks first, now it is all one-pass, haul ass.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Dec 23, 21:49Post
I'm going with both assessments here. Flew to ORD-HNL-ORD on a 788 with AA a bit ago. In Premium Economy. Crew was a nasty old hag that couldna been my 7th grade English Teacher. Seat obviously, as PA110 points out, non descript - plus since it was AA there was no IFE. There's a trip report out here somewhere on that.

I have made several posts on threads outside this forum of late where folks discuss the plusses and minusses of FF loyalty and I gotta tell ya, I don't fly 5 days a week any longer. I'm grabbing the cheapest F Class seat I can get. Fred's Barstorming and Baitshop will do these days.

American Flagged carriers have gone to crap - F means nothing any longer. C not far behind. It's a just an end to a means these days.

Caveat: GNV-MIA-PHX/PHX-DFW-GNV a bit ago was a great trip. All on an AA banner aircraft. The AA Eagle flights were a hell of a lot better than the AA proper flights. Trip report for that out here too.

Best price for F, you get my business. Simple as that.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!