You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Crappiest Airports To Connect At - Worldwide

All about Airlines and Airliners.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 06 Dec 23, 15:15Post
CDG takes the prize.

FRA Comes in second.

LHR except for T5 is unorganized mayhem

MAD T1, T2 & T3. T4 is ok, unless you get in and go through immigration to then get to the train and leg it to your gate.

MIA can be a Royal PIA to connect.

The one thing that sucks about arriving into the US from foreign countries, is you have to go through immigration, get your bag, have it checked and then dump it on another belt and hightail it to your gate.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 06 Dec 23, 19:27Post
miamiair wrote:LHR except for T5 is unorganized mayhem

Having done this twice last week, can concur. No idea why I need to re-clear security between flights (EU-UK-EU), even less idea why there's no fast-track. Combine that with the fustercluck that was the airside transfer buses, and it might actually have been quicker to go landside at T3, get the tube, and go through fast-track security at T5.

miamiair wrote:CDG takes the prize.

Can only agree. I've got a semi-regular work destination in France, and I fly to GVA and get the train over the border rather than deal with CDG.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 06 Dec 23, 21:44Post
I dislike TBIT (int to dom), MIA, and am actually not a fan at all of Dubai in certain circumstances. I really like Zurich.

Piarco is just awful. Signage missing, you can end up outside of security prior to C&I, you have to literally go out onto a street at one point...locals talking about how their loved ones were just stabbed. Lovely.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Dec 23, 19:40Post
AMS has two moods when connecting - Serenity as you waft from your connecting flight and through the seamless transit system, or utter panic as you're deposited somewhere near the airport fence with a dash that your average Kenyan middle distance runner would fail ahead of you. That's if you don't watch your connecting flight push back as you taxi around much of the low countries!
A million great ideas...
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 08 Dec 23, 10:39Post
LHR T5 is generally good, especially UK domestic onwards as you don't have to renegotiate security. But in my experiences since COVID the use of bus gates has become much more prevalent. From the B and C piers this isn't too bad sometimes as it avoids the use of the shuttle, fine if the buses are ready and waiting but no benefit if not. And the buses used are fairly old (2007 mostly) and show it. Plus unlike bus transfers in Doha there is no 'premium' bus so every class just gets crush loaded together onto as few buses as possible.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 08 Dec 23, 12:42Post
Yep, two transfers through LHR last week and two bus gates.

My favourite moment during Covid was being disembarked from an A321 at a remote stand at T5, strictly two rows at a time for social distancing, enforced by cabin crew who were annoyed at not having tasers and were taking it out on the rest of us, only for everyone to be rammed into the same bus at the bottom of the stairs.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 08 Dec 23, 18:43Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Yep, two transfers through LHR last week and two bus gates.

My favourite moment during Covid was being disembarked from an A321 at a remote stand at T5, strictly two rows at a time for social distancing, enforced by cabin crew who were annoyed at not having tasers and were taking it out on the rest of us, only for everyone to be rammed into the same bus at the bottom of the stairs.

When I escaped LIS when the Covid shit hit, the only way out was LIS-LHR-MIA. So the BA LIS-LHR shed was on a remote, and they packed us in like sardines...
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
paul mcallister 10 Dec 23, 12:21Post
I detest and will not fly from LHR or LGW, both are hell holes.
Paul Chandler1 22 Jan 24, 20:25Post
Connecting in Manila is fun as there are no free shuttle buses between terminals unless flying Philippine Airlines (not much use to me as they no longer fly to the UK) Having done it a few times i find a night in a hotel is a good idea either going in or out to avoid any chance of missing flights.
T3 is the newest terminal and fortunately several major airlines use this (SQ/EK/EY/CX)
Mark 02 Feb 24, 13:44Post
In 1994, I arrived at LHR Terminal 3 on AA. This was well before the trains, buses, and Underground were running. I had to haul ass to Terminal 4 to pick up an Alamo rental car. It was not fun.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 02 Feb 24, 14:06Post
Mark wrote:LHR Terminal 3

Just the death march from the furthest gates to immigration is enough fun.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 02 Feb 24, 15:25Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
Mark wrote:LHR Terminal 3

Just the death march from the furthest gates to immigration is enough fun.

My recent 3 hour T5-with-no-security transfer that became a 90 minute T5-to-T3-and-go-through-security-again transfer was naturally at Gate 42, the furthest of the lot though my bag did also make the connection
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
airtrainer 09 Feb 24, 15:39Post
I'd say any airport that force you to go through security after disembarking. Hello, DXB {silly} .

Can only agree with others for CDG, first time I ever had to ask for directions at an airport in over 20 years of flying.
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
fiatstilojtd 12 Feb 24, 18:39Post
Paul Chandler1 wrote:Connecting in Manila is fun as there are no free shuttle buses between terminals unless....

Clearing immigration is also fun, especially if you ask the people in front of you/behind you if they have already created the necessary QR-Code. The look in their eyes is priceless.

The Philippines are not like in Bandar Seri Begawan (Brunei), where you only find out that you need to fill in an extensive online form before you are allowed to clear immigration. It is not mentioned on any government website.

Regarding the Philippines is clearly written on uncountable (government) websites....
Non vitae sed scholae discimus
flyingtogether 17 Mar 24, 00:16Post