You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Didn't see this Coming . . . AS+HA

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 03 Dec 23, 21:39Post
So I saw this briefly about 20 minutes ago, dismissed it as propaganda. Looked again. . . . . and wellllllll..

AS has made a $1.9B bid for HA. Who'd'a thunk. Make even less sense than the AS + VX Marriage.

Several reports, including CNN, WSJ, the usual airline/airplane junkies too.

https://www.wsj.com/business/airlines/a ... s-07ce881b

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/03/business ... index.html

https://twitter.com/AlaskaAirNews?ref_s ... r%5Eauthor

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/a ... 023-12-03/

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/12/ ... lion-deal/
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 04 Dec 23, 05:53Post
ANCFlyer wrote:...dismissed it as propaganda

I thought April Fool's Day had snuck up on me. {bugeye}

retires MD80s

Alaska: "Hey, we're 'Proudly All Boeing' now!"

buys Virgin America

Alaska: "Well, more to love I guess. We'll keep the Airbus fleet for a while"

phases out Airbus as the VX leases expire

Alaska: "Hey, we're 'Proudly All Boeing' now...again!"

two months later...

Alaska: "Surprise, we're buying Hawaiian"

now has an even larger fleet of Airbus
Make Orwell fiction again.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 04 Dec 23, 05:57Post
IMG_2137.jpeg
IMG_2137.jpeg (113.28 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Make Orwell fiction again.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 04 Dec 23, 11:20Post
HA is getting rid of the A330's and going 787. All Boeing again.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 04 Dec 23, 14:07Post
miamiair wrote:HA is getting rid of the A330's and going 787. All Boeing again.

Except for all those 321neos HA has that are new(ish) and New New (yet to be delivered) and doing west coast to the islands. I don't count the 717s as those are really MD95s, so therefore McDonnell-Douglas.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 06 Dec 23, 18:00Post
Supposably, AS intend to run HA as a separate brand and business.

So I guess technically AS can continue to be proudly all Boeing.

Weird acquisition tho.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
PA110 (Founding Member) 19 Dec 23, 16:33Post
Folks here in Hawaii are split over this.

Many folks here have family on other islands, and travel frequently back and forth between the islands. When inter-island fares almost doubled after AQ collapsed in 2008, it caused deep resentment that still carries on 15 years later. These folks welcomed the arrival of WN for inter-island service and still harbor resentment against HA.

For those who primarily fly HA longhaul, they're more worried about losing HA's legendary "aloha spirit". I really like HA and their inflight service is truly welcoming, even though their website and underlying technology is a bit sketchy.

I welcome AS improving HA's technology platforms, but at what cost? HA is the largest private employer in Hawaii. If there's a massive shift in jobs from HNL to SEA, there's going to be some serious resentment.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 Dec 23, 05:11Post
PA110 wrote:Folks here in Hawaii are split over this.

Many folks here have family on other islands, and travel frequently back and forth between the islands. When inter-island fares almost doubled after AQ collapsed in 2008, it caused deep resentment that still carries on 15 years later. These folks welcomed the arrival of WN for inter-island service and still harbor resentment against HA.

For those who primarily fly HA longhaul, they're more worried about losing HA's legendary "aloha spirit". I really like HA and their inflight service is truly welcoming, even though their website and underlying technology is a bit sketchy.

I welcome AS improving HA's technology platforms, but at what cost? HA is the largest private employer in Hawaii. If there's a massive shift in jobs from HNL to SEA, there's going to be some serious resentment.

I expect AS to do to HA what they did to VX and not even blink.

Cabins will change so more pax can be added. But I'd be worried about "the Aloha" as well. As hasn't done justice to VX, so I see no reason for them to do so here, especially on a few markets they share. We'll see.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Mark 31 Dec 23, 19:14Post
I just pray that AS doesn't shitcan the HA B712's.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 04 Jan 24, 21:28Post
Mark wrote:I just pray that AS doesn't shitcan the HA B712's.

Try to keep up Mark. . . . . AS said they'll keep those for 5 more years.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!